Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

1 and 2 cents should be done away with!

• 25-01-2012 4:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭

Does anybody ever use either of these in their financial transactions? They are essentially worthless. I have a container in my room half full of them and yet there's probably only about 3 or 4 euro it!

http://www.anthonykelly.com/inflation.html

According to this calculator, 1p in 1971 was equivalent to about 15c today (therefore, even a halfpenny was worth 7.5c today); ie. those coins had a reason to exist.
    (50p incidentally seems to have been worth €7.50, which seems very valuable for a coin..)

I'm sure there would be economic benefits if 5 cent, or even 10 cent, were the smallest denomination coin, as people would be less likely to hoard/lose coins at home? And I'd imagine prices that are currently €3.99 would just go up to €4?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Have you for a moment considered penny sweets?! EVEN ONE GODDAMNED MOMENT?!!?!?!!!1?

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭yuppies

it's been a long time since they were a penny though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭shanered

They died with the punt! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

The-Rigger wrote: »
    Have you for a moment considered penny sweets?! EVEN ONE GODDAMNED MOMENT?!!?!?!!!1?

How often do you buy a single penny sweet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Scrap the euro completely - It's all worthless.

• Advertisement

How often do you buy a single penny sweet?

Occasionally. And I make a point of never buying them in multiples of 5.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Havermeyer

Penny sweets were great.

I remember going into shops looking for 100 penny sweets. The cashier wouldn't bother their arse counting them, and instead just fill a bag full of them.

Those were the days.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

In New Zealand there are no 1,2, and 5 cent coins. If you go to the shop and something is $1.97 you pay $2, if it's $1.93 you pay $1.90. It's a pretty good system if you ask me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Netherlands does not have 1 and 2 cent coins. All their prices are in 5's. I think the retailers would be against it as things would no longer be 99.99 instead of 100 euro. It sounds cheaper all the nines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Its a blatant 'false flag' operation by the powers that be.

• Advertisement

Netherlands does not have 1 and 2 cent coins. All their prices are in 5's. I think the retailers would be against it as things would no longer be 99.99 instead of 100 euro. It sounds cheaper all the nines.

That said, it never sounds cheaper to me, it just sounds stupid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,927 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

A penny I understand. I don't know why you need a 2c though if there is already a 5c. And a 10c and a 20c and a 50c if I am remembering correctly, it's been a long time now since I held euros. Damn.

Seriously though, end the 2 cent coin. That is beyond silly.

Overheal wrote: »
    A penny I understand. I don't know why you need a 2c though if there is already a 5c. And a 10c and a 20c and a 50c if I am remembering correctly, it's been a long time now since I held euros. Damn.

No need for a 10c, 20c, 50c, 1euro or 2euro when we have the 5c.

Just 5c and 1c and we'll be grand. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

CatFromHue wrote: »
    In New Zealand there are no 1,2, and 5 cent coins. If you go to the shop and something is $1.97 you pay $2, if it's $1.93 you pay $1.90. It's a pretty good system if you ask me.

Thats a stupid system. If theres no way of actually paying 1.93 for something why the **** does it cost 1.93?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Thats a stupid system. If theres no way of actually paying 1.93 for something why the **** does it cost 1.93?

Possibly American style pricing. In many American states, 10$ items are 10$ without VAT. The VAT makes the 10$ thing 11.46 or whatever number hypothetically.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭saywhatyousee

In Italy they do not use 1,2,and 5 cent coins it much handier everything is rounded to 10 c

In Italy they do not use 1,2,and 5 cent coins it much handier everything is rounded to 10 c

Would be great craic here, everything would go up in price by 1c-10c.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

I gather a lot of it in my work,pass it on to a guy who collects it for charity, he usually collects a few hundred a year, so it has some use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Clearly you've yet to enjoy paying for your shopping with them at a Tesco self-service checkout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,671 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Is it really that hard to grasp??

They don't round every item, they round the bill.
    So everything is still priced 1.99 or 99c etc.
    Even randon prices like $3.76, just like Ireland.
    Why would their pricing/profit margin be any different out ours.

At the checkout, they round your bill up or down if paying by cash.
    So if you by ten things costing $1.93, you pay $19.30.
    That's why its is priced that amount.

edit: Same in Oz, except rounded to the nearest 5c

If you pay on the card, then you pay the exact cent amount.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Overheal wrote: »

Because it makes stuff rounder. There is exactly 888.88 if you have all notes and coins. I'm guessing that's why anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

It hardly matters when you are buying one item, as you will end up paying 1.95 (a whole two cent more:eek:) in the Netherlands or Finland or any of the other countries that do not use 1- and 2- cent coins. But it matters a lot if you are in business and buying in items by the hundreds or thousands. It also matters when your supermarket or restaurant bill is totted up, since rounding up or down is done only on the total, not the individual items.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,523 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

you can pay by EFTPOS (a better cheaper version of Laser) or credit card or bank transfer for exact amount. The banking system over here is a million times more user friendly too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

Leave off my copper coins. :mad:

Have you never known the relief of emptying that coin jar and finding out you have €3.41 in it which will buy milk and bread on that day when you find yourself absolutely broke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Do with with money and just have a smart card.....

Simple.

For those living in roscommon we can use turnips..:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭number10a

pow wow wrote: »
    Clearly you've yet to enjoy paying for your shopping with them at a Tesco self-service checkout.

Love the new machines with the "mouth" for coins instead of the slot where you had to put coins in one by one. Empty wallet into machine, give it a few seconds, then pay the rest with a note. A bank staffed by Japanese robots couldn't get rid of your change half as quick for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

I volunteer to take all the spare 1c and 2c coins in the country. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭gerbear1

Mellor wrote: »

Really? So you're discriminated against for paying by card? That seems stupid to me.

The idea of pricing everything in denominations of 5c seems to make sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭yupyup7up

We should adopt the Dr. Nick Riviera pricing schema, where everything ends in 95.

"Okay, I'll throw in a fourth bottle, the applicator glove, and a
    state of Kansas jell-o mold. $29.95!"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

I throw all my 1c and 2c coins into a shoebox, waiting til it amounts to about 20 quid, and then put it all on a horse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

yuppies wrote: »
    Does anybody ever use either of these in their financial transactions? They are essentially worthless. I have a container in my room half full of them and yet there's probably only about 3 or 4 euro it!

http://www.anthonykelly.com/inflation.html

According to this calculator, 1p in 1971 was equivalent to about 15c today (therefore, even a halfpenny was worth 7.5c today); ie. those coins had a reason to exist.
    (50p incidentally seems to have been worth €7.50, which seems very valuable for a coin..)

I'm sure there would be economic benefits if 5 cent, or even 10 cent, were the smallest denomination coin, as people would be less likely to hoard/lose coins at home? And I'd imagine prices that are currently €3.99 would just go up to €4?

This is probably the only time I've agreed with a proposal put forward by someone on After Hours

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,388 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I wonder how much a 1c coin costs to manufacture?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,525 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

gerbear1 wrote: »
    Really? So you're discriminated against for paying by card? That seems stupid to me.

What about items sold by weight then, the likes of fruit and vegatables?

Rounding the total bill to 5c is fine, having individual items in units of 5c is less good.
    o1s1n wrote: »
    I wonder how much a 1c coin costs to manufacture?

Just over 1.5c apparently.
    Though its a meaningless figure - cost per individual usage is more relevant so if it gets used in 100 transactions then its .015c per transaction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Pissmire

A washer costs 10c. So it's cheaper to use anything up to 10c as a washer, as it saves on the fuel it takes to drive to the washer shop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

But what will I fling at my butler when he displeases me if they do away with the coppers?

• Advertisement

Mellor wrote: »

I'd make sure to pay by card if it were 6, 7, 8 or 9 and pay by cash if it were 1 2, 3, 4. :cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

shop hack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,927 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Possibly American style pricing. In many American states, 10$ items are 10$ without VAT. The VAT makes the 10$ thing 11.46 or whatever number hypothetically.
    VAT and Sales Tax are not functionally the same thing.

I suppose it makes little difference in the long run though. The amount of people that ask me "How much is that with the sales tax?" I want to shoot them in the face. The law is pretty clear on sales tax. I'm not charging you the sales tax the State is. Whats even worse is people that ask if I can give them a discount for the cost of the tax. I typically just lose my patience and tell them off.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

The-Rigger wrote: »
    I'd make sure to pay by card if it were 6, 7, 8 or 9 and pay by cash if it were 1 2, 3, 4. :cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

shop hack.

Actually, you should pay by cash if it's a 1,2,6 or 7.

The 3,4,8 and 9 would be rounded up.

elefant wrote: »
    Actually, you should pay by cash if it's a 1,2,6 or 7.

The 3,4,8 and 9 would be rounded up.

ah yes. That's what I said. :cool::p
    I just woke up. :-/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

If I'm using public transport or I'm going to buy something I know the price of I get the little monies out for the last 20c or so of the price. Then they are spent.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

how long before the zimbabwean dollar is worth more than a euro?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

how long before the zimbabwean dollar is worth more than a euro?

Never.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Niles

nummnutts wrote: »
    Penny sweets were great.

I remember going into shops looking for 100 penny sweets. The cashier wouldn't bother their arse counting them, and instead just fill a bag full of them.

Those were the days.

I know someone who used to literally ask for the whatever amount of change they had in their pocket, and the shopkeeper going to the trouble of counting a figure like 67 sweets!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 365 ✭✭Bullchomper

I throw all my 1c and 2c coins into a shoebox, waiting til it amounts to about 20 quid, and then put it all on a horse.

That's silly. It'll fall off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,671 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

gerbear1 wrote: »

How exactly are you discriminated against when you pay by card?
    The times they don't round you down, will cancel out the times they don't round you up.
    And as The_Rigger pointed out, you can choose to pay cash when it will go down, and pay card to prevent it going to. Saving money.

This is pretty basic maths, like primary school stuff. Early primary school. Inability to grasp it is a bit sad really. The education system has failed you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭quietriot

I'm not sure why they bother distributing 1c and 2c coins anymore. They should get rid of them and retailers should price things to the fifth cent.

They could use the opportunity to introduce €5 coins. €5 coins, apart from being cool, would lead to an increase in spending as it has been shown that people spend coins easier than notes. We could mint it with a picture of Merkel and Sarkozy together giving two thumbs up. Would be awesome.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

If you get rid of 1 and 2 cents. How will Enda pay me after tax ????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

Its interesting, I've always been told the reason items are priced €3.99/€5.99 etc is because they would sound more expensive if they were €4/€6.

But I know what you mean, I have a money jar loaded with 1c and 2c coins and all I ever want to do is get them changed and have an extra €1 and €2 coins for my jar and I would probably only get one of each for the sheer number of small cent coins I have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

CatFromHue wrote: »

The same in Oz. but it's not the individual item that counts, it's the total bill that gets rounded up or down.

If it happened in this ****hole you can be guaranteed that every single individual item would be rounded up, meaning you'd pay up to 40c extra for 10 items.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

Agreed I always throw em out.

Not like back in the day < there when you could afford something with less than 5p

/is the 5c copper too? If so, I bn binning them too - never a single parent collection jar handy.

• Advertisement
Advertisement