Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

1 and 2 cents should be done away with!

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 415 ✭✭browner85

i think spain used to use a similar setup before the euro everything as rounded off.

Thats a stupid system. If theres no way of actually paying 1.93 for something why the **** does it cost 1.93?

Laser card?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Niles wrote: »
    I know someone who used to literally ask for the whatever amount of change they had in their pocket, and the shopkeeper going to the trouble of counting a figure like 67 sweets!

I got 100 flogs before. She was a surly **** about it. Put me off flogs for life too after I got through eating them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭wush06

All this makes no cents to me

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I've a money box shaped like a London Bus and it's full of 1 and 2 cents. It makes me feel wealthy and I have an everlasting supply of change. Please don't emotionally bankrupt me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

I dunno why people have this wierd attachment to one and two cent coins theyre worthless rubbish FFS

Is rounding really such a difficult concept to get ones head around ? Electricity and telephone units are priced to fractions of a cent as are litres of petrol but when a motorist puts 21 litres into their car they dont have to go looking for 0.1 cent coins FFS.

In the early 1980's decimal hapennys (0.6349 cent) were abolished In the 1960's Pre decimal farthings (0.132 cent) were abolished and on niether occassion did the sky fall in.

And no need for this faffing about with pricing individual items to the cent and rounding up at the till just price everything to the nearest 5 cent job done.
    TheZohan wrote: »
    Its a blatant 'false flag' operation by the powers that be.

Probably not although It could be a conspiricy to win people around and soften resistance to the idea of smart card payments and the "cashless society".
    Netherlands does not have 1 and 2 cent coins. All their prices are in 5's.
    Are you sure. ?

Id heard that the Dutch central bank dont issue one or two cent coins but lots of coins from other Eurozone countries are still in circulation and I seem to remember getting them in change a few times :confused:

Then again I might have imagined the whole thing given that I was baked off my tits :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

I throw all my 1c and 2c coins into a shoebox, waiting til it amounts to about 20 quid, and then put it all on a horse.

does it take long to pick them all up if the box falls down?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭theg81der

LH Pathe wrote: »
    Agreed I always throw em out.

Not like back in the day < there when you could afford something with less than 5p

/is the 5c copper too? If so, I bn binning them too - never a single parent collection jar handy.

What?!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

LH Pathe wrote: »
    Agreed I always throw em out.

Not like back in the day < there when you could afford something with less than 5p

/is the 5c copper too? If so, I bn binning them too - never a single parent collection jar handy.

you actually throw away money? Trousers usually have 4 pockets, its easy to put a few copper coins in 1 of them and then put them into a jar when you get home. When the jar is full you have enough to buy a few essentials at the supermarket.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭theg81der

you actually throw away money? Trousers usually have 4 pockets, its easy to put a few copper coins in 1 of them and then put them into a jar when you get home. When the jar is full you have enough to buy a few essentials at the supermarket.

I was actually going to post about an encounter with 2 single parents I had about 6 years ago. Neither working, brand new cars and boasting about throwing their coppers away. I was absolutely furious :mad:!! Wonder where they are now and if they`re still doing this. I use every last copper because by the end of the week thats often all I have.

• Site Banned Posts: 148 ✭✭franciebellew

I overfilled my fuel tank by a cent before

Cheap ba-stars made me break a tenner to pay

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭BetterThanThou

I'd personally do away with everything under 50c, but hey, I'd also change the national anthem to Bohemian Rhapsody, so don't listen to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Mance Rayder

I am sure the buskers would love this.

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Scrap the euro completely - It's all worthless.

Not as worthless as anything that might replace it.

If these calls to "bring back the papiermark punt" were heeded small change wouldnt be so much our biggest problem as Weimaresque wheelbarrows of worthless notes to pay for the smallest items.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

The thing about doing away with the fiddlers is inflation, it will have the effect of rounding up prices by 5cent, so instead of petrol going up 1 cent it will go up 5 cents and a lot more often.

So no it would be crazy to be for doing away with the 1 and 2 cents.

• Advertisement

44leto wrote: »
    so instead of petrol going up 1 cent it will go up 5 cents and a lot more often.

Litres of petrol are currently priced in increments of tenths of one cent but there are no 0.1 cent coins.

So your statement is nonsense.

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    Litres of petrol are currently priced in increments of tenths of one cent but there are no 0.1 cent coins.

So your statement is nonsense.

OK not Petrol, milk.

Milk would rise by increments of 5c (rather than 1c) but would do so less often (good news for retailers as repricing stock for piddling amounts is a pain in the @r$€;)

Retailers could do a lot to force the issue of phasing out 1 and 2 cent coins by repricing everything in 5 cent increments. Back in the day most shops didnt sell items priced at odd multiples of half a penny for years before the halfpenny was finally abolished however a small number doggedly insisted on doing so right until the bitter end. Quinnsworth were the main culprits.

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    Milk would rise by increments of 5c (rather than 1c) but would do so less often (good news for retailers as repricing stock for piddling amounts is a pain in the @r$€;)

It certainly wouldn't come down a whole 5 cents so very bad news for the consumer which most of us are.

It would be crazy to do away with them. With the rise of the East and the cost of base materials such as metals and energy we are now living in an inflationary world. So if say a 100 item increase by 5 cents what would that add to the weeky shopping bill.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

When I become the King, I shall do away with the useless 1 cent coin and introduce a badly needed 99 cent coin !

• Advertisement

A time of high inflation would actually be the best time for such a move since prices are rising anyway.

And its not necessairly the case that all items would get rounded up. Items priced at €x.99 would more likely be rounded down to €x.95

Advertisement