Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canadian Experience Class (NOT the IEC)

Options
  • 25-01-2012 5:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

Hi all,

Just wondering what to do here. I'm currently doing my own paperwork for the CEC and am debating whether to get a lawyer or not. I've been working in a professional environment for over 2 years, have fluent english and have a degree.

What are the benefits to getting legal representation? How long does the process take when comparing an independant application submission to a lawyers?

If anyone can provide some details on this, I'd greatly appreciate it. Also, for anyone that was successful with the application on their own submission, how long are the waiting times realistically? I see a 15 month period has been quoted on the CIC website. My NOC Code is 2282 if anyone would like to comment on that, that's what's been used on all of my LMO applications at least.

Many thanks again!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭TedDiBiase

Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

I have applied for the IEC, but will more than likely fail, so have been exploring other options. I dealt with an immigration lawyer who spelt out what I could do.
    Basically, I can get a work permit for the next while, as my gf/common law partner has an international student visa, but I can also begin my application for a permit under the CEC. I thought that you needed 2 years experience in canada, but he informed me theres another one which can be applied for after 1 year (I will have one years experience in Canada by June).
    He requested information about my job, education history, work experience, etc, and fed it into a points calculator which gives a rough indication of whether I will be successful or not. I too have a degree (in I.T.), 7-8 months work experience in Canada, and 4+ years before that, and was informed that I have enough points to apply and probably be successful. I was also told that while an application is in, applicants would be on implied status, which would allow them to continue to work.

This is a discussion I only had on tuesday, and I need to gather documents and decide what course of action I'm going to take. I've also not been quoted a price yet, which is something I will look at when I decide what to do. However, I understand that the whole thing is in 100's and not 1000's. And I don;t mind paying that if it means that I can pass the headache onto someone else

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭FreeAnd..

Relativity...will you keep us updated on this...could potentially be something I'm interested in too...not eligible for a second IEC and may be looking at staying (just for an extra few months though) so not sure if this would be worth it...to be honest I havent looked into it at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

retalivity wrote: »
    he informed me theres another one which can be applied for after 1 year (I will have one years experience in Canada by June).

IEC/USIT visas don't count towards that time spent in canada. if you were there on either of those schemes, you cant use that time served towards this

i got that direct from a particularly high up business immigration lawyer here last year

sure im almost 3 years here now and i still dont qualify for that yet

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Jimmmy McNulty

Helix wrote: »
    IEC/USIT visas don't count towards that time spent in canada. if you were there on either of those schemes, you cant use that time served towards this

i got that direct from a particularly high up business immigration lawyer here last year

Don't think you are correct on that one Helix. Are you saying that the years spent in Canada working are not counted as 'Canadian work experience'?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Colmfatcamp

I agree with Jimmy, I've never heard that time spent on IEC visa doesn't count as experience. Quite sure it does.

Don't think you are correct on that one Helix. Are you saying that the years spent in Canada working are not counted as 'Canadian work experience'?

if they're on USIT and IEC visas, then yes, they're not counted

if you get an LMO or are working for a canadian company directly, with a visa that says as much, then it counts

otherwise id be entitled to PR in august, which im not

if you get an LMO or are working for a canadian company directly, with a visa that says as much, then it counts

I'd look into that a bit further if I were you and get a second opinion. Your call.

I'd look into that a bit further if I were you and get a second opinion. Your call.

makes no odds to me, i marry a canadian this summer anyway

but i was told that student travel schemes, which both of those fall under, do not count towards things like this

http://www.itc-canada.com/Canadian_Experience_Class_FAQ.htm

Read the last question.

• Advertisement

makes no odds to me, i marry a canadian this summer anyway

but i was told that student travel schemes, which both of those fall under, do not count towards things like this

The information you provide here might make a difference to somebody elses decisions with regard to immigration.

and its a canadian government business immigration executive who provided me with this information. tbh id be inclined to believe him, since everything else he advised on was bang on, such as the ease of an intra company transfer from ireland to canada

i explicitly asked him about the usit visa which i had used the previous year, and he said that student schemes were not deemed acceptable time spent in canada towards applying for new permits or permanent residency

and its a canadian government business immigration executive who provided me with this information. tbh id be inclined to believe him, since everything else he advised on was bang on, such as the ease of an intra company transfer from ireland to canada

i explicitly asked him about the usit visa which i had used the previous year, and he said that student schemes were not deemed acceptable time spent in canada towards applying for new permits or permanent residency

Are you talking about time spent or time worked in Canada? I have provided you with the answer. We'll agree to disagree on it then.

Are you talking about time spent or time worked in Canada? I have provided you with the answer. We'll agree to disagree on it then.

time worked on a student visa scheme

ive been working for the same company the 2 1/2 years ive been here like

then you read the CEC website, which says:
    International Graduates with Canadian Work Experience
    Applicants must meet the following minimum requirements. They must:

have successfully completed a program of study of at least two academic years at a Canadian post-secondary educational institution;

have obtained at least one year or equivalent of one year of full-time work experience in a skilled, professional or technical job;

have gained this experience in Canada with the proper study and work authorization;

have knowledge of English or French at a minimum level required by their occupation; and

apply while working in Canada or within one year of leaving job in Canada.

how many people on a 2 year IEC do you reckon have completed 2 years of post secondary study in canada?

then you read the CEC website, which says:

how many people on a 2 year IEC do you reckon have completed 2 years of post secondary study in canada?

But isnt that if you apply as a forgien graduate and not as a skilled worker
    In order to be qualified for Permanent Residence under the Canadian Experience Class, you must: - Be a foreign worker with a minimum of two years of full time skilled work experience in Canada, or an foreign graduate from an approved Canadian post-secondary educational institution with at least one year of skilled full-time work experience in Canada; -

so i think Jimmy is right...it says the IEC counts towards the 2 years (as per the last qquestion on his link)

Also -
    Is it possible for me to qualify under the Canadian Experience Class without the education requirement?

Yes, provided that you have accumulated at least two years of full time skilled work experience in Canada.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

I ran this past my immigration lawyer too, he said that although I am on a temporary work/holiday visa, I qualify as I'm working in a skilled position (noc 0,a,b).

I can't find anything online about applying with one year's work experience, will talk to him again next week and find out more info

I ran this past my immigration lawyer too, he said that although I am on a temporary work/holiday visa, I qualify as I'm working in a skilled position (noc 0,a,b).

I can't find anything online about applying with one year's work experience, will talk to him again next week and find out more info

My lawyer said I would need 2 years as well but it would be great if it had changed to 1 for some reason. I doubt it though.

That's the kind of good po-lice work I would expect from McNulty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Tonto86

I'd say the person you talked to had his lines crossed Helix. If I've learned anythin over the years its that people in public service positions think they know everything... they dont

I think (as Helix pointed out) - to go with one years experience you must have 2 years Post Secondary Canadian study done...see above...otherwise 2 years work is required

That's the kind of good po-lice work I would expect from McNulty.

I'm REAL po-lice!

Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit

• Registered Users Posts: 25 decision

The information you provide here might make a difference to somebody elses decisions with regard to immigration.

I agree. Let's not turn this forum into a rumour factory.

anyone know of a reliable, affordable immigration lawyer in toronto?

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭fat__tony

decision wrote: »
    anyone know of a reliable, affordable immigration lawyer in toronto?

We use a chap called John Harrington.

Details are below:

John Harrington,
    Certified Canadian Immigration Consultant
    Commissioner for Oaths
    Fast Track Immigration Services
    179 Carlton Street,
    Toronto Ontario, M5A 2K3
    (e): john@fasttrackservices.ca
    (w): www.fasttrackservices.ca
    (tel) +1 (416) 923-5333,
    (fax) +1 (416) 923-5332
    skpye: harrington.john

Whether he's affordable is all down to opinion.

He's good though which is all that should matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭fat__tony

Poxy double post.

Not taking a chance with a consultant. Friends of mine in Van had no luck with them and just ended up getting scammed. They're able to get their cert online sure. Better off with a lawyer if I were you.

Could anyone recommend a decent immigration lawyer?

fat__tony wrote: »
    We use a chap called John Harrington.

Details are below:

John Harrington,
    Certified Canadian Immigration Consultant
    Commissioner for Oaths
    Fast Track Immigration Services
    179 Carlton Street,
    Toronto Ontario, M5A 2K3
    (e): john@fasttrackservices.ca
    (w): www.fasttrackservices.ca
    (tel) +1 (416) 923-5333,
    (fax) +1 (416) 923-5332
    skpye: harrington.john

Whether he's affordable is all down to opinion.

He's good though which is all that should matter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Kimia

Sorry to drag up old thread but I seem to have found a definitive answer to the above concern:

Regarding proposed changes to the CEC - http://gazette.gc.ca/rp-pr/p1/2012/2012-08-18/html/reg2-eng.html
    The Canadian work experience requirement would be reduced from 24 months to 12 in the preceding 36 months, to allow faster transition for those who have already proven their employability in Canada’s labour market. Accumulating 12 months of authorized work within the preceding 36 is more flexible for applicants working in Canada under international agreements (e.g. International Experience Canada). Only applicants with NOC 0, A or B work experience would continue to qualify for the CEC.

Advertisement