Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone 4 connecting to wireless - but then doesn't work

• 25-01-2012 9:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭

I have 20mb broadband through UPC, and bought a Cisco EPC2425 router, and I have full wireless signal on my iMac G5 - all 5 bars of signal.

But when I connect to the wireless through my iPhone 4, even though it connects successfully and I have 3 bars of signal, it doesn't work.

Any app/service I try and it just loads and loads, and then eventually says I have no signal :confused:

Whereas then disconnecting from the wireless and going back to 3G and it's perfect again.

The fact I'm getting perfect wireless through my iMac means a good signal is being broadcast.

Has anybody any idea what's going on with it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭fox007

Col200sx wrote: »
    I have 20mb broadband through UPC, and bought a Cisco EPC2425 router, and I have full wireless signal on my iMac G5 - all 5 bars of signal.

But when I connect to the wireless through my iPhone 4, even though it connects successfully and I have 3 bars of signal, it doesn't work.

Any app/service I try and it just loads and loads, and then eventually says I have no signal :confused:

Whereas then disconnecting from the wireless and going back to 3G and it's perfect again.

The fact I'm getting perfect wireless through my iMac means a good signal is being broadcast.

Has anybody any idea what's going on with it?

Try going to wifi click the blue arrow beside your network then forget this network then rebooth the iPhone and connect to the network again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭Col200sx

fox007 wrote: »
    Try going to wifi click the blue arrow beside your network then forget this network then rebooth the iPhone and connect to the network again

Thanks fox, I'll give that a try tonight when back from work :)

Is this a common problem with the iPhone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Check you dont have Mac Address filtering turned on via the router

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

fox007 wrote: »

No luck with doing that :(

It's still the same.
    Check you dont have Mac Address filtering turned on via the router

How do I check that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

Not sure what the ip is of the router but if you go to run on a pc and type cmd and click on command prompt or cmd.exe

Type ipconfig and the router ip will be listed as default gateway. Type it into the address bar in a browser and you might need to provide a username and password. Both should be provided with the router. Mac address filtering might be under wireless settings or advanced settings. I'm not familiar with the interface on your router

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,585 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

This may sound silly, but is the password correct?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,490 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I have the same router and a 4th gen iTouch, it will only connect if the router is running Wi-Fi on channel 6, any other channel and ithe iTouch won't connect.

From the Mac, go to http://192.168.1.1/ leave the userid and password fields blank and click on 'OK', then click the setup tab and scroll down to the 'Wireless' section and click on 'Basics'. Change the channel to 6 and click the apply button. This will probably cause the Mac to lose the connection but it should eventually find the router on the new channel.

Thanks for all the suggestions folks :)

Bit of an update:

I disconnected and rebooted everything again, iMac, router, iPhone etc etc.

But this time I wired the iMac, and then logged back into wireless on the iPhone, this time it worked perfectly.

But then I tried to join the wireless on the other-half's iPhone 4, but it was the same issue I had in first post.

It's like it only wants to broadcast wireless to 1 device at a time, and won't let me connect 2 devices simultaneously.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭fox007

Thanks for all the suggestions folks :)

Bit of an update:

I disconnected and rebooted everything again, iMac, router, iPhone etc etc.

But this time I wired the iMac, and then logged back into wireless on the iPhone, this time it worked perfectly.

But then I tried to join the wireless on the other-half's iPhone 4, but it was the same issue I had in first post.

It's like it only wants to broadcast wireless to 1 device at a time, and won't let me connect 2 devices simultaneously.......

When trying to get in that UPC router use a wired connection!! I had nothing but trouble connecting my MacBook pro to it over wifi!

What about hitting the reset button on the back of the router failing that call UPC I had that router and used it with ipad, iPhone mac all at the same time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

No luck with doing that :(

It's still the same.

How do I check that?

There should be something mentioning Mac Filtering

See if that is switched on, or is here a lsit of address that it has only allowed access to.

I had one issue with a router that I could attach a couple of devices but to add more than 3 the only way I could do it was to turn on Mac filtering and add all devices manually..

Also, try changing The wireless channel...

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭barryd09

I have the same issue in my parents house with their Mac.
    I cant be bothered going near the router settings though.
    Seems to work from time to time but most of the time it doesnt.
    It knows the network is there,connects but wont load anything. UPC broadband too.

Advertisement