Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bay of Plenty, NZ - Potential job offer, any advice appreciated

Options
  • 25-01-2012 10:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭

Hi all - have been approached to work for a LA in the Bay of Plenty area, probably based in Tauranga.

I was initially a bit sceptical as I wasn't looking to move but am coming round to the idea - but I know nothing about the region other than what google maps show me.

Does anyone have any unbiased view in terms of quality of life, number of ex pats in that region, and quite importantly what sort of salary expectations someone should have to maintain a reasonable quality of life?

Any and all info would be much appreciated...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30 keaneray

Hi aquascrotum,

Firstly I'm not sure what a LA is? But what I can say is Tauranga is a lovely area. You'd be living right beside the beach where you can surf all year round and enjoy knocking back a few cold ones on those hot summer days. Popular with Kiwi's during the holiday's seasons especially around December through to February. Met an English couple from Tauranga last year when I was in Samoa. They raved about the place and highly recommended it.

Only been there once. Living in Auckland now the last two year. As for living costs, I have found everything getting more expensive in the last year. Groceries especially. That is just in the big city, but everywhere is pretty much the same.

There will be loads ex pats around the place and from my knowledge there’s the stock Irish bar in town, which could be a good starting point meeting some people.

To get by comfortably and to save a little you need minimum 40-45K. Around the 50-60K and you'll be able to save around $300-500 per week, depending on how you spend.

Hope this helps,

Ray

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭aquascrotum

Thanks very much for that, very useful...LA is local authority, not sure if that makes any difference.

Advertisement