Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Social welfare office bans pyjamas for interviews

• 25-01-2012 10:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭giant_midget

Only in Ireland would a social welfare office need to put a sign like this up, Just goes to show the level of scummers that they have to deal with. Does not look well that these "people" are looking for work.

On a personal level i hate the PJ brigade...That they swan around the streets dressed like this...

"A social welfare office in Dublin has erected a sign on its window warning claimants that pyjamas are not appropriate clothing to wear for those attending for interview.

Staff at the Damastown social welfare office said this type of attire will no longer be tolerated.

It is believed the decision was made to ban pyjamas after a number of complaints were made from customers.

Read more: http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/social-welfare-office-bans-pyjamas-for-interviews-537219.html#ixzz1kSafmubU"

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,337 ✭✭✭Archeron

What about bananas in pyjamas? Will they be allowed seeing as officially its their work outfit?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Archeron wrote: »
    What about bananas in pyjamas? Will they be allowed seeing as officially its their work outfit?

Technically they aren't on the dole and seeking state assistance. Though they *are* bananas and not subject to the rules and regulations of mammalian society so probably should be let get away with it.

'cptr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

These people have extremely active lifestyles, you can't expect them to take the time out to get dressed just to appease the PC Brigade!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Only in Ireland would a social welfare office need to put a sign like this up, Just goes to show the level of scummers that they have to deal with. Does not look well that these "people" are looking for work.

On a personal level i hate the PJ brigade...That they swan around the streets dressed like this...

"A social welfare office in Dublin has erected a sign on its window warning claimants that pyjamas are not appropriate clothing to wear for those attending for interview.

Staff at the Damastown social welfare office said this type of attire will no longer be tolerated.

It is believed the decision was made to ban pyjamas after a number of complaints were made from customers.

Read more: http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/social-welfare-office-bans-pyjamas-for-interviews-537219.html#ixzz1kSafmubU"

I don't like the look of pyjamas outdoors, but I don't see how all people who do it are "scummers" and, apparently, not actually people.
    Seems like an over-the-top reaction.

Why does it not look well that these "people" are looking for work?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 325 ✭✭Techno_Toaster

Archeron wrote: »

Computer says no

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭simit

Lol only in Ireland. Hopefully tracksuits will be next.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

simit wrote: »
    Lol only in Ireland. Hopefully tracksuits will be next.

Why? Are tracksuits not considered acceptable outdoor clothes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

There not pyjamas, they are bleedin PERJARMERS roight!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

This decision is open to a legal challenge on human rights grounds and I expect the staff at that social welfare office will be required to explain on the basis of what law they issued the ban. And, no doubt, more of the taxpayers' time and money will be spent on legal proceedings. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Wearing pyjamas outdoors is, in fact, slobbish and bad manners, but we are getting onto dangerous ground if we start trying to legislate for good taste and good manners, not to mention sartorial elegance. :(

What next? No trainers, no hijabs, no turbans ...? Will every other jumped up little bureaucrat in the country be able to go solo and arbitrarily enforce a dress code in his or her little bailiwick?:eek:

An establishment like a restaurant, hotel or club may be entitled to enforce a reasonable dress code, because no one is forced to go there, but those who go to a social welfare office have no other choice than to go there to ensure they receive their legal entitlements.:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

I stand to be corrected, but the interviews are not held outdoors. The policy is a correct one, when you dress for an interview it should be to impress.

• Advertisement

I stand to be corrected, but the interviews are not held outdoors. The policy is a correct one, when you dress for an interview it should be to impress.

Are we going to enforce impressing interviewers via dress-code?

If not I don't see how or why tracksuits should be a problem.

If anything it'll help identify the couldn't-be-arsed wasters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Not to be bigotted or anything...but some Muslim garbs look quite pajama like, and definitely super comfortable, will they be allowed to wear those?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Ellis Dee wrote: »
    This decision is open to a legal challenge on human rights grounds and I expect the staff at that social welfare office will be required to explain on the basis of what law they issued the ban.

Inspectors do home visits and you can wear whatever you want at home

But go to their offices and it's their rules, they can enforce if they want

Schools have done this before, it's not new

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭giant_midget

I don't like the look of pyjamas outdoors, but I don't see how all people who do it are "scummers" and, apparently, not actually people.
    Seems like an over-the-top reaction.

It's not really an over the top reaction to be honest. If the SW offices felt the need to put up signs so these idiots would not present themselves in PJ's then it is a problem...Goes to show the type of person you are if you turn up in PJ's for a meeting with SW, Says a lot about your lifestyle and you come across as lazy and stupid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

If I was the person working the social welfare office that was interviewing someone that turned up wearing pajamas it would have me questioning their attitude towards trying to find work. I think it speaks volumes for a lazy attitude and level of comfortableness on the dole if you wake up on a day that you have a meeting in a social welfare office and couldn't be arsed with showering and making an effort to dress in a manner for outdoors and especially for an interview. Obviously it could be a wrong opinion but it creates that perception in my view.

Not to be bigotted or anything...but some Muslim garbs look quite pajama like, and definitely super comfortable, will they be allowed to wear those?

Just because they look like PJs doesn't necessarily mean they are.

Also, re: dressing up to impress - yeah, it's not that kind of interview.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

This decision is open to a legal challenge on human rights grounds and I expect the staff at that social welfare office will be required to explain on the basis of what law they issued the ban. And, no doubt, more of the taxpayers' time and money will be spent on legal proceedings. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Wearing pyjamas outdoors is, in fact, slobbish and bad manners, but we are getting onto dangerous ground if we start trying to legislate for good taste and good manners, not to mention sartorial elegance. :(

What next? No trainers, no hijabs, no turbans ...? Will every other jumped up little bureaucrat in the country be able to go solo and arbitrarily enforce a dress code in his or her little bailiwick?:eek:

An establishment like a restaurant, hotel or club may be entitled to enforce a reasonable dress code, because no one is forced to go there, but those who go to a social welfare office have no other choice than to go there to ensure they receive their legal entitlements.:cool:

They arent banning anything.

The sign just says:

"Please be advised that pyjamas are NOT considered appropriate attire when attending Community welfare services at these offices"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭Show Time

The smart thing which should have been done is to cut all payments to anyone wearing pyjamas who turns up for an interview. If they are so lazy as to not bother to dress like most normal hard working folks then it is obvious spongers like that should get nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

I'm aware of that, but say Skanger 1 is in line in her PJ's with full face of make up and big hoopy earrings, and is told she can't attend the interview due to inappropriate attire but they accept in Muslim 1 even though she is wearing a garb that while "normal" in her own culture, would look like PJ's in ours.

That's discrimination, and while I don't think they should wear PJ's, they should have the right to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Crazy Horse 6

What a joke. Nanny state.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

I wear a tuxedo to bed. Is that wrong too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

The thing is when you're on the dole you are supposed to be "actively seeking work". Going around in PJs to me doesn't look like your serious about looking for a job.

In 2004 I came back here for a week to help a German company with interviews for work. It was a company that was going to employ about 40 people here, about 15 in admin, sales etc and 25 or so on the warehouse floor or in distribution. Remember this was at the height of the "Celtic Tiger".

We got a number of people in for interview for the warehouse jobs and it was obvious that they were only there to get us to tick a form saying they attempted to apply for a job.

Some came dressed in PJs, some swore at the interview, a few started to text, one said he had to make a phone call and proceeded to order gear for the weekend in front of us. It was the Spud in Trainspotting effect, show some effort to get the job, but not enough so as you might actually get it. Fair enough the jobs were filled within the couple of days but some of them their attitude was so obviously offputting to make sure that they didn't get the job.

I was on the dole myself for a while 3 years ago and some of the people I met are professional SW leeches, the vast majority are trying their best to get a job. Its the leeches who seriously couldnt be bothered their arses trying to get work that this is aimed at and I think its fair enough.

simit wrote: »
    Lol only in Ireland.

and china

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 935 ✭✭✭giles lynchwood

Show Time wrote: »
    The smart thing which should have been done is to cut all payments to anyone wearing pyjamas who turns up for an interview. If they are so lazy as to not bother to dress like most normal hard working folks then it is obvious spongers like that should get nothing.

They wonder why Cork is not the capital of Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Eh no!! Unless you are going to the gym or sports training they aren't!!

Dovies wrote: »
    Eh no!! Unless you are going to the gym or sports training they aren't!!

Well that's bullshit.

I'm aware of that, but say Skanger 1 is in line in her PJ's with full face of make up and big hoopy earrings, and is told she can't attend the interview due to inappropriate attire but they accept in Muslim 1 even though she is wearing a garb that while "normal" in her own culture, would look like PJ's in ours.

That's discrimination, and while I don't think they should wear PJ's, they should have the right to.

Nope, nobody should have the right to wear PJs in public.

Unless it's a negligee and only if they're sexy wimmen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

People get very upset over the stupidest of things. Live and let live....maaaaaaaaaaaan!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Seachmall wrote: »
    These people have extremely active lifestyles, you can't expect them to take the time out to get dressed just to appease the PC Brigade!!

PJ Brigade surely??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I've never seen anyone wearing pyjamas outdoors.

And they say rural Ireland isn't civilised. :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

As I posted in the other thread...

While only retards wear pajamas outdoors, I think it's going a bit too far banning people wearing them in a social welfare office.

If I complain about people wearing tracksuits will they be banned too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Their bed pyjamas are unacceptable but their "going out" pyjamas are fine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Mannys the year since Ive been in a dole office thank god, but I don't remember any of those f**kers behind the counter making much of an effort on the dress code front either.

Actually i don't remember them making much of an effort on any front tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

bijapos wrote: »
    We got a number of people in for interview for the warehouse jobs and it was obvious that they were only there to get us to tick a form saying they attempted to apply for a job.

Some came dressed in PJs, some swore at the interview, a few started to text, one said he had to make a phone call and proceeded to order gear for the weekend in front of us. It was the Spud in Trainspotting effect, show some effort to get the job, but not enough so as you might actually get it. Fair enough the jobs were filled within the couple of days but some of them their attitude was so obviously offputting to make sure that they didn't get the job.

I was on the dole myself for a while 3 years ago and some of the people I met are professional SW leeches, the vast majority are trying their best to get a job. Its the leeches who seriously couldnt be bothered their arses trying to get work that this is aimed at and I think its fair enough.

Its these sort of unemployable wretches that should be put to the streets cleaning and making the country look good. It prob has to be accepted that they don't want to work in the real economy. They shouldn't be just let lie about in their PJ's collecting dole.

I agree with banning PJ's at these offices. If they turned up in PJ's it should be grounds to cut them off as they are not deemed looking for work when they turn up looking like that.

woodoo wrote: »
    Its these sort of unemployable wretches that should be put to the streets cleaning and making the country look good. It prob has to be accepted that they don't want to work in the real economy. They shouldn't be just let lie about in their PJ's collecting dole.

I agree with banning PJ's at these offices. If they turned up in PJ's it should be grounds to cut them off as they are not deemed looking for work when they turn up looking like that.

Okay, let's ban all clothing except a shirt, tie, trousers and shoes for men in welfare offices as obviously if they're not wearing them then they're obviously not looking for work.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Jaysoose

woodoo wrote: »

Problem being they would all have "accidents" at work and have claims in within the week..hard to understand the rational behind somebody that is to lazy to even get dressed in the mornings..good on the dole office telling them to grow up.

Okay, let's ban all clothing except a shirt, tie, trousers and shoes for men in welfare offices as obviously if they're not wearing them then they're obviously not looking for work.

This is a load of hyperbole and you know it, whats the big deal in expecting people to get dressed to go to the social office to have an auld chat about how they have been looking for work etc.

Its a pisstake turning up in pyjamas and you know it.

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Inspectors do home visits and you can wear whatever you want at home

No kidding! People are still free to wear what they want in their own homes.:eek: I bet it's only a matter of time before some or other zealous busybodies try to correct that.:D
    But go to their offices and it's their rules, they can enforce if they want

Actually, the offices are not theirs. They belong to the people and those officials are public servants, although one has to suspect that at times they forget this fact.:rolleyes: Rules must be founded in legislation or regulations duly issued on the basis of legislation, and that means any regulations or guidelines requiring observance of a particular dress code should be issued centrally, e.g. by ministerial order. It is completely unacceptable for the staff of one office to set rules or guidelines arbitrarily and based only on a whim or complaints by querulants.

One of the fundamental rights enshrined in several international conventions to which Ireland is a voluntary party is the right to privacy, and this includes the way one dresses.:cool:

Schools have done this before, it's not new

And, unfortunately, it has not been challenged, either - yet! The fact that schools can act in such an arbitrary manner - and racistically and Islamophobically in some instances - merely further underlines the importance of a fundamental overhaul of the Irish education system.:)

No kidding! People are still free to wear what they want in their own homes.:eek: I bet it's only a matter of time before some or other zealous busybodies try to correct that.:D

Actually, the offices are not theirs. They belong to the people and those officials are public servants, although one has to suspect that at times they forget this fact.:rolleyes: Rules must be founded in legislation or regulations duly issued on the basis of legislation, and that means any regulations or guidelines requiring observance of a particular dress code should be issued centrally, e.g. by ministerial order. It is completely unacceptable for the staff of one office to set rules or guidelines arbitrarily and based only on a whim or complaints by querulants.

One of the fundamental rights enshrined in several international conventions to which Ireland is a voluntary party is the right to privacy, and this includes the way one dresses.:cool:

And, unfortunately, it has not been challenged, either - yet! The fact that schools can act in such an arbitrary manner - and racistically and Islamophobically in some instances - merely further underlines the importance of a fundamental overhaul of the Irish education system.:)

What a load of BOLLOX.

Jaysoose wrote: »
    What a load of BOLLOX.

She's right in saying they can't enforce it without going through the proper procedures, which would enforce it nationwide.

The staff in the office simply do not have the power to make changes to the operation of a public sector at a whim.

I'm not saying that's what the staff are doing, they're simply posting a warning, but it is close to the borderline and there could be a case there for it to be taken down.

• Advertisement

This is a load of hyperbole and you know it, whats the big deal in expecting people to get dressed to go to the social office to have an auld chat about how they have been looking for work etc.

Its a pisstake turning up in pyjamas and you know it.

I think turning up in a football jersey is taking the piss.
    I think turning up in sandals is taking the piss.
    I think turning up in a short skirt is taking the piss.
    I think turning up wearing too much make up is taking the piss.
    I think turning up wearing fake tan is taking the piss.
    I think turning up wearing designer labels is taking the piss.

Where is the line drawn? People who wear pajamas outside are gob****es but they're not harming anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Milky Moo

My god I can not believe people are defending the fact people technically have the right to wear pyjamas to the dole office.

Technically I have the right to fart outrageously on the bus, but I don't do it because it just isn't socially acceptable, it would make me look like an animal and it would be highly unpleasant for those in my vicinity.

Turning up to the dole office in your pyjamas is the height of laziness

Milky Moo wrote: »
    Technically I have the right to fart outrageous on the bus, but I don't do it because it just isn't socially acceptable, it would make me look like an animal and it would be highly unpleasant for those in my vicinity.

Do you think you should be advised to get off the bus if you fart?

And how does wearing a pajamas in public offend your senses or make you uncomfortable?

What a load of BOLLOX.

What an insightful reply. Quite up to your highest standards of legal analysis, I see. :pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Fear Uladh

My god I can not believe people are defending the fact people technically have the right to wear pyjamas to the dole office.

Technically I have the right to fart outrageous on the bus, but I don't do it because it just isn't socially acceptable, it would make me look like an animal and it would be highly unpleasant for those in my vicinity.

Some of these people don't care how they are perceived by others, which is the crux of the problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

They could be unemployed mattress testers in uniform.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

The notice in question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

What an insightful reply. Quite up to your highest standards of legal analysis, I see. :pac::pac::pac::pac:

In fairness, you didn't back up anything you said despite making wild assumptions.

Its after hours not the legal forum, doesnt change the fact that your post was a load of dribble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

Ha brilliant, hopefully this will filter through to banning them from every public place in the Country, imagine going to an interview in your pyjama's, really shows the level of some people.

• Advertisement
Advertisement