Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Social welfare office bans pyjamas for interviews

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭TroikaBox

hightower1 wrote: »
    Yes they are. We are paying their benefits for them to put in reasonable effort into getting a job. Wearing pyjamas while in an interview is not reasonable effort (as judged by the average persons view, clearly expressed here as an example)

This primary argument only applies if choice is an element. It is not. The government has done the thinking for our people. Therefore, it makes no difference what they wear, they are still going to get those benefits through direct tax. the amount I pay is constant relative to a varying number of people both short and long term on the live register.

If their dress code does not affect the taxation levels of my pay packet, why should I care? Unless if affects my tax bracket, I don't care. You could argue this dress manner would lead to increased indirect tax, but this is offset by the fact I plan and eliminate these stealth taxes where required.
    hightower1 wrote: »
    If you pay PAYE you are paying for their benefits so that makes it every bit of your business.

Why, is it like I have a choice? I would pay 0 tax If I had that ability. I don't have a choice in the matter due to economic EU overlords, so I don't care either way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

mikemac1 wrote: »
    They don't wear their bed pyjamas

They have going out pyjamas too

You don't actually believe that surely

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

I remember the beginning of the pyjamas zombie virus, I was with a colleague in the square in Tallagh and I noticed a few hanging about in Mc Donalds and I asked not quite believing it "are they in their pyjamas and he just shook his head and said "thats the new thing", I was amazed. But the virus has since spread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

44leto wrote: »
    I remember the beginning of the pyjamas zombie virus, I was with a colleague in the square in Tallagh and I noticed a few hanging about in Mc Donalds and I asked not quite believing it "are they in their pyjamas and he just shook his head and said "thats the new thing", I was amazed. But the virus has since spread.

The zombie virus....Return of the Sleepy Head (Living Dead):)

boobar wrote: »
    The zombie virus....Return of the Sleepy Head (Living Dead):)

The day of the walking nightwear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Niles

I remember doing an Irish poem called Gealt for the Leaving, in which the titular madman takes a trip on the bus, distinguished from the rest of the passengers by wearing pyjamas... I fear the significance of his dress style would no doubt be lost on some of these people.

Perhaps "The Shape of Things to Come" would have been a more apt title for that poem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

Its funny ...

I can go to a bar and get refused entry because i am not wearing shoes or a shirt etc. And thats a place that wants to rip me off with the price of alcohol and can also charge me just to bloody get in :rolleyes:

... yet. the social welfare now has a basic dress code and suddenly "thats too far" by people on here? ... even tho the social is giving people money.

I think people need to revaluate things on here.

LighterGuy wrote: »
    Its funny ...

I can go to a bar and get refused entry because i am not wearing shoes or a shirt etc. And thats a place that wants to rip me off with the price of alcohol and can also charge me just to bloody get in :rolleyes:

... yet. the social welfare now has a basic dress code and suddenly "thats too far" by people on here? ... even tho the social is giving people money.

Agreed. I can't see why anyone would object to such a rule; it's not as though people have no other choice than to wear pyjamas, short of some bizarre sitcom-esque series of events that leads to them having no other clothing available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

Abi wrote: »
    And you are quite settled on the notion that PJ wearing during the day is quite acceptable. Oh dear.

"Acceptable" in the sense that it's none of my business. If you had an argument that it's something people should be concerned about I'd love to hear it but so far your argument seems to be "I DON'T LIKE IT!!!11!!!1"

And I'm more surprised about your opinion that simply calling into a neighbour's house in your PJs makes you scumbag than anything else. Really?
    Its funny ...

I can go to a bar and get refused entry because i am not wearing shoes or a shirt etc. And thats a place that wants to rip me off with the price of alcohol and can also charge me just to bloody get in

A bar could require you to wear a nappy to get in, but I don't think we should believe anything else is unacceptable.

• Advertisement

Seachmall wrote: »
    Really?A bar could require you to wear a nappy to get in, but I don't think we should believe anything else is unacceptable.

Yeah but, pyjamas to an interview? Really? There has to be some standards...

(from 2:35)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭hawkelady

Ok so we have 25 pages of text.
    Can someone put their head above the parapet and say that wearing pjs to an interview, even wearing pjs outside your house is acceptable. I would love to hear from you ..
    I personally think it akin to not wiping your arse after a messy dump!! Filthy filthy habit !!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

"Acceptable" in the sense that it's none of my business. If you had an argument that it's something people should be concerned about I'd love to hear it but so far your argument seems to be "I DON'T LIKE IT!!!11!!!1"

Because I don't like it?? I think you'll find that there are quite a lot of other people in this thread that would agree with me. So it's nothing to do with what I like or dislike.
    And I'm more surprised about your opinion that simply calling into a neighbour's house in your PJs makes you scumbag than anything else. Really?
    Yeah really. If I've ever had reason to call into a neighbour, I go with clothes on. Pretty messed up, eh?
    A bar could require you to wear a nappy to get in, but I don't think we should believe anything else is unacceptable.

What the.. I don't even.. :confused:

Because I don't like it?? I think you'll find that there are quite a lot of other people in this thread that would agree with me. So it's nothing to do with what I like or dislike.
    It has everything to do with what you like or dislike...?

What do you think off it and is it fair to say that what you like and dislike is your opinion and not necessarily in agreement with your good self.

I think the practice of wearing pajamas in public is disgusting and it shows on a level they don't give a fkuc about conventional standards in hygiene, and that is my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

hawkelady wrote: »
    Ok so we have 25 pages of text.
    Can someone put their head above the parapet and say that wearing pjs to an interview, even wearing pjs outside your house is acceptable. I would love to hear from you ..
    I personally think it akin to not wiping your arse after a messy dump!! Filthy filthy habit !!!!

Hang on now. So we're cleaning our arses after a dump these days? Why didn't I get that memo?

It's very unfair when society judges people against ever changing guidelines. How are these people to know that pyjamas are unacceptable if they aren't told so?

I recommend we run a national awareness campaign to highlight the situation and if we can afford it maybe a decommissioning scheme. People could hand in their pyjamas in exchange for a new tracksuit and a bar of soap.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

The notice should read " Your dole will be reduced by 10% if you turn up for an interview in pyjamas".
    I'm guessing that would solve the problem sharpish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

What do you think off it and is it fair to say that what you like and dislike is your opinion and not necessarily in agreement with your good self.

I think the practice of wearing pajamas in public is disgusting and it shows on a level they don't give a fkuc about conventional standards in hygiene, and that is my opinion.

100 %

And I don't disagree entirely with your opinion. Although I think "conventional standards" is not something you should restrict yourself to. I'm sure the comparison to sheep has been overused in this thread but that's what it brings to mind.

And as others have mentioned PJs have become mainstream fashion and many pick their PJs out in the morning like they would any other clothes, they're not necessarily sleeping in them (hence hygiene isn't really an issue).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

It is believed the decision was made to ban pyjamas after a number of complaints were made from customers.

hahahahaha:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,649 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

If that's how they turn up dressed to a social welfare office, do they expect to get a job interview wearing the same clothes??

Lazy, spoilt f**kers.

• Advertisement

And most of the other posters in this thread apparently. It's nothing to do with disliking it, it's not appropriate, or acceptable. Hence, the reason why the SW office put that sign up.

It's nothing to do with disliking it, it's not appropriate, or acceptable.

It has everything to do with liking or disliking it...?

So you think it's ok to wear pyjamas in public???

Meanwhile, back in the real world..............................

Annnnnd, I'm done here.

Meanwhile, back in the real world..............................

Well Sash from Fair City wears them - is that 'real world' enought for you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,420 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

The way to get around this is for people to wear their ordinary clothes to bed. Then in the morning just pop on your trainers and down to the dole office.

juan.kerr wrote: »

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Crazy Horse 6

woodoo wrote: »
    The uniform of riff raff.
    shaq.gif

Where in my post did I suggest that?

I just think Abi's idea that because others share her opinion it's no longer just an opinion is... ridiculous.

Again, I'll ask: Do you really think it's ok for people to wear pyjamas in public?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

When I get up in the morning I have a shower, get dressed in clothes. Are we to assume these people who wear pj's leave the bed, shower and get back into the pj's.
    I have seen a few people wearing them in public and my thought's were fcuking tools go home and put on some clothes because you look ridiculous.

hondasam wrote: »
    When I get up in the morning I have a shower, get dressed in clothes. Are we to assume these people who wear pj's leave the bed, shower and get back into the pj's.
    I have seen a few people wearing them in public and my thought's were fcuking tools go home and put on some clothes because you look ridiculous.

PMSL.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

That's the best 'real world' example you can come up with....:D

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    That's the best 'real world' example you can come up with....:D

I was thinking the exact same thing but I decided to bite my tongue.

EDIT: Mind you, look at that poster's username. Says it all really.

I was thinking the exact same thing but I decided to bite my tongue.

EDIT: Mind you, look at that poster's username. Says it all really.

Apparently that's not allowed in AH - give it both barrells in future;)

Guys, in case you missed the facetiousness of my comment re Sash from Fair City I'll spell it out for you...

I think they've actually missed an opportunity here. With all the talk of benefits being cut over time then surely they could use the whole wearing of pyjamas to interviews as a means of identifying those with no intention of ever working.

Guys, in case you missed the facetiousness of my comment re Sash from Fair City I'll spell it out for you...

I don't watch that programme, so I have no idea what you're talking about.

I don't watch that programme, so I have no idea what you're talking about.

Well that makes 2 of us. Where did I say this phenomenon was acceptable?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

I think we need a bit of clarification here:

Signing on is not a meeting and its not a job interview. You display your social services card and then sign a register. The whole process takes about 30 seconds max. It has absolutely no bearing on whether you get a job or not. You could sign on wearing a suit of armour or dressed as a grizzly bear.

Wattle wrote: »

Signing on is not a meeting and its not a job interview. You display your social services card and then sign a register. The whole process takes about 30 seconds max. It has absolutely no bearing on whether you get a job or not. You could sign on wearing a suit of armour or dressed as a grizzly bear.

It may take 30 seconds to sign your name but what of the 45 minutes to 2 hour waiting in line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭hawkelady

What you said has no relevance. The fact is If you walk out your front door wearing your pjs whether it's to go to the shop for a scratch card or to read the six one news you are a scrotum sack with nay respect !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

True but if you cannot take some pride in your appearance how can you hope to impress anyone enough to give you a job.
    If you cannot motivate yourself enough to shower and dress it kinda says you are lazy and uninterested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Fear Uladh

Hmmm, I think opening a pennys beside a busy dole office would make a bit of scratch.

Offer a "pyjama discount" or summit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭Leo Dowling

hondasam wrote: »
    True but if you cannot take some pride in your appearance how can you hope to impress anyone enough to give you a job.
    If you cannot motivate yourself enough to shower and dress it kinda says you are lazy and uninterested.

People aren't offered jobs at the dole office. Unless they're related to someone who already works there. In that case the pyjamas wouldn't matter in the slightest.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

The Bananas in Pyjamas are really going to revolt now :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

hawkelady wrote: »
    What you said has no relevance. The fact is If you walk out your front door wearing your pjs whether it's to go to the shop for a scratch card or to read the six one news you are a scrotum sack with nay respect !!!

Um yes it does have relevance. As has been said by me and other posters you do not get offered a job while signing on nor is it an interview situation.

If I have a job interview or an interview with social welfare I would dress accordingly.

I don't wear pyjamas in public. Personally I think it looks a bit stupid but I wouldn't be frothing at the mouth in outrage like some people here.

Fear Uladh wrote: »
    Hmmm, I think opening a pennys beside a busy dole office would make a bit of scratch.

Offer a "pyjama discount" or summit.

PJ's and fake uggs discount. They'd make a killing :pac:

Doesn't matter. It's a public place, and if you turn up wearing f***ing pyjamas, it shows that you're either not interested in finding work, or you have a few screws loose.

People aren't offered jobs at the dole office. Unless they're related to someone who already works there. In that case the pyjamas wouldn't matter in the slightest.

Read post #400 please.

• Advertisement
Advertisement