Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Italian banger and mash twist

Options
  • 25-01-2012 10:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭

I was sure there was a few threads on "posh" bangers and maash but I can't seem to find them with the search function.

I'm looking to do as posh as bangers and mash can be but I need an italian twist to it.

I was going to use pork and leak sausages from a butcher.

Any ideas on how to Italianise/posh it up?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭emc2

ntlbell wrote: »
    I was sure there was a few threads on "posh" bangers and maash but I can't seem to find them with the search function.

I'm looking to do as posh as bangers and mash can be but I need an italian twist to it.

I was going to use pork and leak sausages from a butcher.

Any ideas on how to Italianise/posh it up?

A company called Ricks do a lovely Italian Sausage not too sure who stock them but I got them in fallon & Byrne.

You could go down the fully Italian route and do sausage in a tomato sauce with gnocchi

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

emc2 wrote: »
    A company called Ricks do a lovely Italian Sausage not too sure who stock them but I got them in fallon & Byrne.

You could go down the fully Italian route and do sausage in a tomato sauce with gnocchi

gnocchi is a nice idea, it's just it's for tonight and gnocchi for my skill level can be very time consuming :)

Would the Ricks sausage go with mash?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Catherine Fulvio does an amazing oven baked tomato and sausage risotto. Really easy to make and really tasty but impressive. Might be an idea to try another time. http://www.rte.ie/food/2011/0124/sausageandtomatorisotto.html

I get Italian sausages from my local butcher but if I can't find them I just use good quality pork ones and throw in some extra fennel seed and chili flake. Just make sure your stock is piping hot before you pour it on!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭nompere

Toulouse wrote: »
    Catherine Fulvio does an amazing oven bakedtomato and sausage risotto. Really easy to make and really tasty but impressive. Might be an idea to try another time. http://www.rte.ie/food/2011/0124/sausageandtomatorisotto.html

I get Italian sausages from my local butcher but if I can't find them I just use good quality pork ones and throw in some extra fennel seed and chili flake. Just make sure your stock is piping hot before you pour it on!

I looked at Catherine Fulvio's recipe, and also thought that it was one to file away for another occasion. I was entertained by the comment below the recipe from a contributor who said she made it without the tomoatoes or the sausage!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

For the 'mash' element - How about using polenta for a real Italian twist?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭the-ging

For the 'mash' element - How about using polenta for a real Italian twist?

Hey Hill Billy, I have been looking for polenta for a while, and cant find it in my Dunnes or Tesco, what isle would it usually be on?

Or where would be a good place to pick it up?

Thanks
    J

Also, ntlbell, try out this...
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/mustard_and_lemon_49577

I did it the other week and it was really good. Have to say really liked the carrrot mash, (I added flat leaf parsley to the carrots).

the-ging wrote: »
    Hey Hill Billy, I have been looking for polenta for a while, and cant find it in my Dunnes or Tesco, what isle would it usually be on?

Thanks
    J

I did it the other week and it was really good. Have to say really liked the carrrot mash, (I added flat leaf parsley to the carrots).

Maybe try little italy, or you can make it yourself

H

Can always rely on good aul Nigel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

For Italian bangers and mash, I suggest getting to the best butchers you can and getting some Italian sausage. Then stir some good quality pesto through your mash and serve with a home-made tomato sauce.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

I find salsiccia fresca almost impossible to get. Usually I end up with a semi cured italian sausage that is both saw dusty dry but full of fat pieces that cook out to give a pan of oil and a dry sausage. I like the sausages cooked to a lovely golden brown colour in a pan then finished in a tomato sauce.

So I gave that up in favour of a quick fix. For me a decent salsiccia fresca is flavoured with good pork, fennel and a little chilli. So I buy a good pork banger and make a sauce with garlic, fennel seed, chilli, white wine and blitzed plum tomatoes. I get all the flavour in the finished dish that I want without compromising on the meat quality.

I'd serve this on a plate of wet polenta - the polenta enriched with lots of butter and parmesan cheese - just as you would with mashed spuds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Thanks
    J

I've not seen it myself in the supermarkets at home, but my local Italian-style deli (back home in Skerries) has it. If there is one near you - see if they stock it. (I live mostly in Switzerland so it is no bother picking it up over here given the big Italian influence in the local cuisine. Sorry about that. :o)

Toulouse wrote: »
    Catherine Fulvio does an amazing oven baked tomato and sausage risotto. Really easy to make and really tasty but impressive. Might be an idea to try another time. http://www.rte.ie/food/2011/0124/sausageandtomatorisotto.html

Italians seem to be absolutely disgusted at the thought of baking risotto

Lucky I gave this one a miss!! :)

Advertisement