Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

By how much are landlords supposed to reduce rent by?

Options
  • 25-01-2012 11:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭

I heard recently that landlords are due to lower the rent and was wondering if there is a set rate or is it the landlord himself who determines how much the rent comes down by?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

pookiesboo wrote: »
    I heard recently that landlords are due to lower the rent and was wondering if there is a set rate or is it the landlord himself who determines how much the rent comes down by?

They dont have to lower the rent if they dont want to

• Registered Users Posts: 8,436 ✭✭✭RedXIV

I don't think anyone is forcing landlords to reduce rent? :confused:

Possibly if the market is dictating they should but if they have tenants, why would they?

Landlords are due to lower rent? Where did that one come from? Because RA has been cut?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

RoverJames wrote: »
    Landlords are due to lower rent? Where did that one come from? Because RA has been cut?

I think as it's the claimant who has to "donate" more to the RA rather then RA been reduced it won't force landlords to reduce.

It's not like you can move somewhere cheaper you still have to pay your part regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Supposed to reduce rent!? That's a new one.

OP, when your lease is up for renewal I would suggest that you attemp to negotiate a reduction in rent for the term of the new lease. By how much? I couldn't say, perhaps have a chat to your neighbours/check what similar properties in your area are going for

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

Landlords are not due to lower rent across the board. Cases for RA recipients are being reviewed - this means that the rates for maximum rent allowed in a property have dropped - i.e. Dublin maximum is now 875 I think. If a landlord who currently charges 900 or 1,000 for rent wants to keep the tenant, he will drop the figure to 875 in order for tenant to comply with the new rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Rasmus wrote: »
    Landlords are not due to lower rent across the board. Cases for RA recipients are being reviewed - this means that the rates for maximum rent allowed in a property have dropped - i.e. Dublin maximum is now 875 I think. If a landlord who currently charges 900 or 1,000 for rent wants to keep the tenant, he will drop the figure to 875 in order for tenant to comply with the new rules.

What will happen is LL wioll fill in the form for the tenant at the lower rate and charge them the same rent.

Got a call from a tenant asking me to do this so she can stay in the place she is in. I had already told her the rent was not going down again last year as it was below market price to let her stay there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭Pin_Cushion

OP if you're referring to Rent Allowance limits they're here.

I wouldn't advise cooking the books like the poster above suggested because a copy of the lease has to be provided and no-one wants to be done for fraud.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

It would be a foolish LL who would agree to that. It places them in a very vulnerable position with PRTB and Revenue.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Be very careful- it would be incredibly foolish to try to 'cook the books' in this manner. Government Departments are sharing information a lot more readily and in very useable forms nowadays. You have doubtless seen several cases in the news recently regarding Revenue and Social Welfare sharing information- you can be certain it is only a matter of time before declarations to different Departments/Sections are compared and anamolies investigated. If you agree to make false declarations- it will come back to you sooner or later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

I never suggested cooking the books what I said was it was suggested to me by the tenant. That means the concept is out there with tenants so must have come from somewhere.

It was quite common when rates didn't match up to actual rents.

Again reality and what legal restrictions are there don't marry up. You are talking about relatively small amount. The information may be shared but only on request and then they would have to look in great detail at accounts. Simply it isn't worth the revenues time nor the HSE. They are much more interested in LL that don't pay any tax and they don't even chase them that much.

Again this is like speeding lots of people do it and it is illegal but not that many actually get caught.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Ha! That's laughable. Landlords are supposed to lower their rents, just as employers are supposed to give pay rises - doesn't mean they will.

I will not be lower rent. I offer a property that is excelent value for money (relative to direct competition in the local area). I would ONLY consider lowering the rent, if I were unable to find tennents. As it happens, I've never had a problem to date.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

I THINK what the OP is referring to (without laughing at them in such an objectionable manner) is numerous posts on the reduction of Rent Allowance meaning Landlords would be best to reduce rent to current market values, eg, if all the properties in a largely SW-dependant community are above the limits for RA, these landlords may struggle to get tenants, and would do best to reduce rent to agree with SW limits.

OP, it was a suggestion to landlords who regularly deal with people in receipt of Rent Allowance, but it is not required by any means.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭marketty

RA really is a strange thing, the way it determines the maximum the rent can be, why not the max that welfare will pay? Why not let people add to the allowance and pay a higher rent? I'd say you'd really struggle to find a place in Dublin for €875, but if you could top it up to €1000 it's a different story

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

There used to be a discretion situation for that, depending on the circumstances. But, for example, my CWO says I will be refused RA for a recent property I viewed which is €20 per month LESS than my current accommodation, because it has two bedrooms and I only need one. I told her honestly that I had planned to use it as a study and get rid of the bed (hoarding two years of college books and notes, a PC and a 6 foot tall bookcase full of science documents and magazines in your living room is quite messy) but she would have none of it. Pity.

Advertisement