Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Software

Options
  • 25-01-2012 11:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭

can anyone recommend a very good web design software, expense wise does not really matter. I have a large website that i created years ago using html, but its looks rather dated, and i'm looking to make it better and add more options. I'd like something that will take me through various steps and then afterwards allow me to edit the html to suit.

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

With the state of technologies available today, it's usually easier, quicker and more cost effective to port older static HTML sites to a modern CMS (like WordPress, Drupal, Expression Engine, etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭johndoe99

I tried WordPress, but it did not meet my needs, i have my own Webspace, so was looking for some software to get me up and running.

I downloaded Serif WebPlus X5 today and am giving that a run through at the moment to see if its any good, it looks promising.

Thanks though for your advice, really appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭What? Oh Rly!

johndoe99 wrote: »
    I tried WordPress, but it did not meet my needs, i have my own Webspace, so was looking for some software to get me up and running.

I downloaded Serif WebPlus X5 today and am giving that a run through at the moment to see if its any good, it looks promising.

Thanks though for your advice, really appreciated.

What are your needs or should I say what couldn't WordPress do for you?

When i was using Wordpress i found it very slow to move around, like changing settings and adding posts, it took well over 20 seconds for these to take effect, i tried Chrome and IE8, but always the same.

The templates are appalling, and wouldn't allow me to customise them to what i wanted, and there were restrictions on certain graphics that i wanted to enter, it kept asking me to crop, even though they were well within the boundaries.

I like to get hands on and be able to edit the code, it may sound mad but i am quicker at this.

I also had trouble adding flash animations, and youtube videos, just couldn't seem to get the right plugin.

Most of these probably had a solution, but it just annoyed me.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Most of these probably had a solution, but it just annoyed me.

There's going to be a short learning curve with any new system you take up. From what you said above, I don't think any of those issues are WordPress specific.

• Advertisement

i'm going pretty well with "Serif WebPlus X5", the tutorials are very detailed, its allowing me to change just about everything i want in detail.

Its gonna take me months though to complete.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭What? Oh Rly!

When i was using Wordpress i found it very slow to move around, like changing settings and adding posts, it took well over 20 seconds for these to take effect, i tried Chrome and IE8, but always the same.

It's one of the most usable CMS's out there. There is a one click process to add a new post and anything else really, I wouldn't call that slow. And not sure on the 20 seconds to take effect part, it's instant when you click publish. Maybe your hosting was slow?
    The templates are appalling, and wouldn't allow me to customise them to what i wanted, and there were restrictions on certain graphics that i wanted to enter, it kept asking me to crop, even though they were well within the boundaries.

Free ones usually are. Have a peek on themeforest.net. Loads of good ones there for dirt cheap. The image/media settings are a bit clunky but always getting better but you should of had no problem adding images to posts imo.
    I like to get hands on and be able to edit the code, it may sound mad but i am quicker at this.

You can ftp into your WP site and edit there or WP also had an inbuilt editor.
    I also had trouble adding flash animations, and youtube videos, just couldn't seem to get the right plugin.

Never had a problem adding these myself. Just copy and paste or throw into a custom field etc.

It's a great little platform and the learning curve is not that big really.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4 stevefridel

I always use abode photoshop software for designing website, It is best for creating the website. It is very nice to designing the website this software is very easy to use and you can also try this version as a free software.

Advertisement