Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buidling Website backlinks

Options
  • 25-01-2012 11:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Ok so my husband has set up a website, and we know it has the ability to do well, but we cant afford to keep paying for google adwords, we need to come up naturally on the google search engine. So he's researching backlinks, which aparently google recognise more if you have good quality backlinks. So here's my question, what are quality backlinks and how do you go about getting them? We are both newbies to the website area, my hubbie just had a great idea for a website, but no web background, so we really need an idiots guide. He is constantly working on the blog to try and increase traffic to the site, which has helped a little bit, but we are by no means coming up top of search page. We know not to go near companies who you pay to do it for you, we were warned that google recognise this and do you no favours for it. ANy advise (without the jargon as i just wouldn't understand it) would be greatly appreciated. :confused::confused::confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Chet Zar

Yvob wrote: »
    Ok so my husband has set up a website, and we know it has the ability to do well, but we cant afford to keep paying for google adwords, we need to come up naturally on the google search engine. So he's researching backlinks, which aparently google recognise more if you have good quality backlinks. So here's my question, what are quality backlinks and how do you go about getting them? We are both newbies to the website area, my hubbie just had a great idea for a website, but no web background, so we really need an idiots guide. He is constantly working on the blog to try and increase traffic to the site, which has helped a little bit, but we are by no means coming up top of search page.

Hi there,

What I would say to you is - diversify your efforts. Firstly, Google AdWords can be expensive, but there is the question to ask there - are you doing it right? Have you been tracking your ROI from AdWords? If not, you may have been spending money without seeing the return you could have had (or could still have). It does depend on your industry too, and how competitive it is.

Secondly, on the topic of backlinks, this is another 'it depends' area, as it depends on how competitive your sector is and how much competition you have on Google for the key terms customers would use to find you. There are a number of different ways to get links to your site. Here are some tips:

-Develop relationships with other website owners/business owners, and other people. If they find your product/service interesting, they will naturally link to you, mention you online, and share your content.

-Participate in forums and discussion boards. Boards.ie is just one, and it allows you to add a signature to your profile, which will automatically get you some extra traffic.

-Comment on blogs, guest-post on other blogs, and be seen as an 'authority' in your niche/industry. This, again, will help increase your visibility online and enhance your rankings as people are attracted to what you are saying/doing, and share with others what you are offering/saying.

-Create useful content. As I said above - diversify your efforts. Could you create videos/podcasts/manuals/ebooks/white papers relating to your service? Giving useful content away for free is often a great move. People love free stuff, and will likely share it with others or alert them to its existence - again more exposure for you online.

-Optimise your website. It goes without saying that you should have all the best pratices nailed down in regards to on-page optimisation (optimal title tags, meta-descriptions, etc). A lot - or most - websites you come across won't have this sorted however!

Hopefully that helps get you thinking. Remember it is an ongoing process and it will take time to see results.
    We know not to go near companies who you pay to do it for you, we were warned that google recognise this and do you no favours for it. ANy advise (without the jargon as i just wouldn't understand it) would be greatly appreciated. :confused::confused::confused:

Not completely accurate and there may be some misconceptions at play here. Paid link-building is something that is best avoided by and large - natural methods are king in Google's eyes. However, this is not the same as paying an SEO company or consultant to work on your SEO - which may include working on your backlink profile - and which is obviously perfectly acceptable.

Just to clear that up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Yvob

Thank you for your detailed response. This has helped greatly and I will discuss with my husband later and make a P.O.A to get this going. It is a very slow process we just need to stay positive. But thank you I appreciate you taking the time to go into this detail.:)

Thank you for your detailed response. This has helped greatly and I will discuss with my husband later and make a P.O.A to get this going. It is a very slow process we just need to stay positive. But thank you I appreciate you taking the time to go into this detail.:)

No problem. Let us know how you are getting on, and any other questions feel free to ask or PM me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭link8r

Hi Yvob - I setup one of the first seo/internet marketing companies in Ireland. I've been selling online exclusively since 2001 and I setup my first website in 1996. I've worked for many of the biggest companies in Ireland (Indigenous and foreign). I work in SEO, PPC and all forms of Internet marketing. I'm not touting for business, just trying to help!

The good news is that there are many online business owners who are people just like you. I'll answer the points in your post but if you look at the end I'll point you in some helpful areas.
    Ok so my husband has set up a website, and we know it has the ability to do well,

Well, the reason you think it could do well is always the starting point that you need to come back to. This is a tough question. "Know it has the ability" and "Want it to do well" are often seen as the same thing. You can only know something if it's been done before. Otherwise its a punt and its really important to separate the two.

Lets say you said that you know that if you drop a glass bowl from 4 foot onto a tough floor it would break, you'd know that you wouldn't have to get involved to ensure it happens. You don't know that the site will do well but you will have to get involved. I'm not being pedantic, I'm trying to head off a fundamental issue that I've seen 100 times.
    but we cant afford to keep paying for google adwords,
    AdWords show at the exact same time as organic results, to the exact same people. If you want to pretend that your clients don't click on AdWords, then you're not fooling me or Google, you're kidding yourself. If your site isn't selling in AdWords, why would it sell at number one in organics? I've never seen a site sell in organics and not sell in AdWords but I've seen plenty that sell in neither. If you click on an AdWords site - you're guaranteed that they are alive and trading. The problem is, that you haven't worked out many parts of your sales process. Products have a sales cost. Insurance premiums, bin collection services, mobile phone contracts, all have enormous commissions because it costs money to make a sale. Retail outlets pay a fortune to be in shopping centres, Grafton street, places where there is traffic. There is no such thing as free business - it all costs somewhere.

Either one or some of the following:
    1. Too broad a search pattern
    2. Too narrow a search pattern
    3. Wrong keywords
    4. Website is not converting: trust, usability, speed, UX
    5. shipping costs, pricing or other issues
    6. low/no demand at price given

Our best projects are clients who want to double their AdWords spend. Lets say your product sold for €20 and each sale cost only €2. Wouldn't you go to the bank and get a loan for €2million and turn it into €20 million? Whats wrong with paying for marketing?

Here is something worth learning: the cream doesn't rise to the top on its own. the iphone didn't do well just because it's a great phone: it was expertly marketed. They had a complex business model. Did you know that initial operators paid for the phone AND paid a % of the bill cost AND apple take between 30% and 70% of sales of songs, books and apps? No wonder they have more money than the federal reserve. It's capitalism, not communism. There isn't a central committee that decides on the best product and we all line up. The Sony Betamax was technically better than it's counterparts but it died. MS-DOS was nowhere near as good as Unix but look at Microsoft.
    we need to come up naturally on the google search engine.
    no you don't. You need to come up everywhere.
    So he's researching backlinks, which aparently google recognise more if you have good quality backlinks. So here's my question, what are quality backlinks and how do you go about getting them?

A backlink is (normally) a result of a relationship or referral between too sites. Natural backlinks are ones that occur naturally (i.e. aren't fostered). Quality links is a (attempt at) way of measuring the influence of those links. So a link from a very popular site is important as it means more people will follow through with that. Examples would include your local newspaper, a directory, suppliers, business partners
    We are both newbies to the website area, my hubbie just had a great idea for a website, but no web background, so we really need an idiots guide.

Googe have a great SEO guide which you should read. The web is the ultimate empowerer of everyday people.

I created a slideshare last year to help:
    http://www.slideshare.net/PrimaryPosition/how-to-create-an-internet-marketing-strategy-8484571
    He is constantly working on the blog to try and increase traffic to the site, which has helped a little bit, but we are by no means coming up top of search page.

Working on the blog. There's a big difference between long work and hard work. Moving a pile of bricks from one side of a garden to another is definitely hard work but it doesn't necessarily add value or make it profitable. What is the point of a blog: If the answer is to get free traffic then you're in trouble. Its not about working hard, its about engaging. How many other blogs do you read? Do you comment? do you get comments? are you discussing, debating or being insightful. If its just words on a page...Why would people read it?

(I'm not saying it isn't a brilliant blog, I'm just going on what you're giving me)
    We know not to go near companies who you pay to do it for you, we were warned that google recognise this and do you no favours for it. ANy advise (without the jargon as i just wouldn't understand it) would be greatly appreciated. :confused::confused::confused:

Google engages with SEO companies all the time. But it is a quagmire. Unfortunately, I'm sad to report, that with the growth of the web, the growth of bad SEO (Blackhat) practices have been enormous. I can remember when there were less than 100k pages for SEO. Now there are 1000's of millions. SEO Ireland alone = 64 million. Too many are have-a-go-heroes.

Research, research, research. Try the IrishWebmasterforum.com too. There are great communities of online business owners just like you. Twitter is really good and so is LinkedIn. Google is really good, so are forums. But take some things with a pinch of salt. Just because it's on the web doesn't make it true.

There are lots of business networks and communities - Plato, Open Coffee, Barcamps, Chambers, BNI, Enterprise boards etc - join them and get involved and be patient.

Best of luck and I hope you re-post!

link8r wrote: »
    Hi Yvob - I setup one of the first seo/internet marketing companies in Ireland. I've been selling online exclusively since 2001 and I setup my first website in 1996. I've worked for many of the biggest companies in Ireland (Indigenous and foreign). I work in SEO, PPC and all forms of Internet marketing. I'm not touting for business, just trying to help!

The good news is that there are many online business owners who are people just like you. I'll answer the points in your post but if you look at the end I'll point you in some helpful areas.

Well, the reason you think it could do well is always the starting point that you need to come back to. This is a tough question. "Know it has the ability" and "Want it to do well" are often seen as the same thing. You can only know something if it's been done before. Otherwise its a punt and its really important to separate the two.

Lets say you said that you know that if you drop a glass bowl from 4 foot onto a tough floor it would break, you'd know that you wouldn't have to get involved to ensure it happens. You don't know that the site will do well but you will have to get involved. I'm not being pedantic, I'm trying to head off a fundamental issue that I've seen 100 times.

AdWords show at the exact same time as organic results, to the exact same people. If you want to pretend that your clients don't click on AdWords, then you're not fooling me or Google, you're kidding yourself. If your site isn't selling in AdWords, why would it sell at number one in organics? I've never seen a site sell in organics and not sell in AdWords but I've seen plenty that sell in neither. If you click on an AdWords site - you're guaranteed that they are alive and trading. The problem is, that you haven't worked out many parts of your sales process. Products have a sales cost. Insurance premiums, bin collection services, mobile phone contracts, all have enormous commissions because it costs money to make a sale. Retail outlets pay a fortune to be in shopping centres, Grafton street, places where there is traffic. There is no such thing as free business - it all costs somewhere.

3. Wrong keywords

Our best projects are clients who want to double their AdWords spend. Lets say your product sold for €20 and each sale cost only €2. Wouldn't you go to the bank and get a loan for €2million and turn it into €20 million? Whats wrong with paying for marketing?

Here is something worth learning: the cream doesn't rise to the top on its own. the iphone didn't do well just because it's a great phone: it was expertly marketed. They had a complex business model. Did you know that initial operators paid for the phone AND paid a % of the bill cost AND apple take between 30% and 70% of sales of songs, books and apps? No wonder they have more money than the federal reserve. It's capitalism, not communism. There isn't a central committee that decides on the best product and we all line up. The Sony Betamax was technically better than it's counterparts but it died. MS-DOS was nowhere near as good as Unix but look at Microsoft.

A backlink is (normally) a result of a relationship or referral between too sites. Natural backlinks are ones that occur naturally (i.e. aren't fostered). Quality links is a (attempt at) way of measuring the influence of those links. So a link from a very popular site is important as it means more people will follow through with that. Examples would include your local newspaper, a directory, suppliers, business partners

Googe have a great SEO guide which you should read. The web is the ultimate empowerer of everyday people.

http://www.slideshare.net/PrimaryPosition/how-to-create-an-internet-marketing-strategy-8484571

Working on the blog. There's a big difference between long work and hard work. Moving a pile of bricks from one side of a garden to another is definitely hard work but it doesn't necessarily add value or make it profitable. What is the point of a blog: If the answer is to get free traffic then you're in trouble. Its not about working hard, its about engaging. How many other blogs do you read? Do you comment? do you get comments? are you discussing, debating or being insightful. If its just words on a page...Why would people read it?

(I'm not saying it isn't a brilliant blog, I'm just going on what you're giving me)

Google engages with SEO companies all the time. But it is a quagmire. Unfortunately, I'm sad to report, that with the growth of the web, the growth of bad SEO (Blackhat) practices have been enormous. I can remember when there were less than 100k pages for SEO. Now there are 1000's of millions. SEO Ireland alone = 64 million. Too many are have-a-go-heroes.

Research, research, research. Try the IrishWebmasterforum.com too. There are great communities of online business owners just like you. Twitter is really good and so is LinkedIn. Google is really good, so are forums. But take some things with a pinch of salt. Just because it's on the web doesn't make it true.

There are lots of business networks and communities - Plato, Open Coffee, Barcamps, Chambers, BNI, Enterprise boards etc - join them and get involved and be patient.

I hope you re-post too OP!

Soo true re paying for marketing!! I think people just get a bit scared when they see the money going out and not seeing a return - but it's not about your marketing spend, it's about your ROI! Never forget that. The likes of Hotels.com spend a fortune on AdWords but make many multiples of that back in profits through bookings. They're not spending that money on AdWords for the good of their health or for 'branding' - they're spending it because the ROI is clearly there.

I'm aware of a site I work on that is currently making back over ten times the amount in euro it spends on a click which converts in AdWords..

It's so easy to waste money in AdWords if you're not set up correctly, so it needs to be optimised for ROI, like all your other efforts.

To finish, one of the biggest mistakes I see on Boards is people popping in to post an urgent question on promoting their site/the next big thing, only they keep us in the dark as to what it is, and we never see them again. How much money gets spent the wrong way, or spent at all on ventures that would have been modified or stopped right away after they received more informed advice?

Just a thought.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭HelpWithIT

link8r wrote: »

3. Wrong keywords

Great Post (-;

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

There's been a lot of good advice on off-site matters in this thread. However, I'll bet €100 of link8r's money that the site requires a big makeover for on-site SEO. OP make sure you are using the following tags and attributes well: title, h1, h2, h3, strong, alt, meta description etc... Read this too: http://www.google.com/webmasters/docs/search-engine-optimization-starter-guide.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭LifeBeginsAt40

Hello,

I set up a website in 2008, not selling anything just providing free information. At first I didn't really pay much attention to the quality of links or the site's layout with regards to being optimised for search engines (SEO).

However in early 2011, I quit my full time 9-5 job and now work from home looking after this plus a couple of other websites. Obviously I have a lot of time to tweak the sites daily, adding new relevant content and building genuine working relationships with other website owners. That makes it easier for me to control how my website is linked to.

As mentioned by the poster above one of THE most valuable things I did was to read Google's beginners guide to SEO.

I would urge that you read it and act upon as many of the topics as you are comfortable with. I never came from a web design/SEO background either (it shows with my site's design sadly) but I can read and I can follow out HTML code changes!

My site went from having about 20K unique web visitors per month, to now over 240K unique web visitors per month. I do not pay for any advertising but I do make sure that any websites I link exchange with are relevant to my own website topic and also very importantly I make sure where possible, that any links pointing TO my website are using link text of my choice.

The link 'anchor text' as its often called is very important when it comes to quality of links. A simplified example:

Click HERE = not good for SEO
    Click here for Irish fitted kitchens at a great price = much better for SEO

The actual link text pointing back to your website is very important and it is something that you can control to a degree. Also if you have a page within your website about, for example: 'Blue Widgets' it can help with SEO if you have relevant links pointing to that page and not just your generic home page URL

If I was a 'Blue Widget' retailer I would link to your 'Blue Widget' URL and not your home page URL, this is sometimes called deep linking and can help the search engines better understand your website.

As also mentioned and I'll just briefly back that point up, is the correct use of <h1> <h2> tags etc. Pay less attention to fancy looking graphics and more attention to the text layout of your website. It will pay off in the end.

Summary: Follow the Google PDF guide and you should see positive results, but it takes time. Use Google Webmaster Tools and if you want, Google Analytics to see if your changes are having a positive effect. Don't get scared by it all, trust me I was so daunted by it all but make small changes at a time that you do understand and you should be ok.

Hope the above, plus other posts help.

tricky D wrote: »
    There's been a lot of good advice on off-site matters in this thread. However, I'll bet €100 of link8r's money that the site requires a big makeover for on-site SEO. OP make sure you are using the following tags and attributes well: title, h1, h2, h3, strong, alt, meta description etc... Read this too: http://www.google.com/webmasters/docs/search-engine-optimization-starter-guide.pdf

See Google SEO PDF link above from previous poster.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭kenobrien

I bought this book from Amazon as it came highly recommended by a friend of mine.

Here's the Amazon link: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Seo-Made-Simple-Second-Strategies/dp/1460908511/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1329855710&sr=8-1

Hope this helps.

• Advertisement

Is that a referrer ID I see in that link?

Naughty

Edit: not so, my bad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

It's not. Associate links keep their ids behind a parameter called "tag". "ref" is a normal part of an Amazon URL.

To avoid any problems I have removed the offending or not ID tag:

SEO made simple -Amazon

Apologies then so

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭kenobrien

tricky D wrote: »
    Apologies then so
    Not to worry. I'm flattered that you thought I knew what I was doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

This is a great book too, written for SMB like yourselves http://www.searchjohnston.co.uk/resources/50-ways-to-make-google-love-your-website-book/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

As a start, put a link to your website in your boards sig.
    Post in forums and topics relevant to your business. Without being spammy obviously, just the same kind of stuff you'd post normally.
    Find other forum sites and blogs in your niche and post there too, though always check the site rules regarding sigs and self promotion.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 36 mhkdeveloper

you can easily get backlinks from

1: Forum posting
    2: Blog commenting
    3: Social bookmarking
    4: Article submission
    5: PR Submission

When you free just do above things after sometime you can get good back links from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 MarkScully

I would discourage everyone from adding links to their site to any of the above ones listed by Wshoku.

Directories like that simply do not work anymore.

Advertisement