Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What age were you when you did the J1?

Options
  • 25-01-2012 11:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭

(@mod; sorry of this is in the wrong forum)

Hey there. I'm 20 y/o (21 at the end of April). I'm in 3rd year of a 4 year degree-programme. I've been thinking getting a J1/holiday-working visa to either Canada or the US during this summer.

I think I'm eligible to get one, however, I'm just wondering, do you think 21 is too old to do the J1 (compared with other who do it)? I mean loads of people I know did it last summer when they were ~19/20 and I don't know anyone who's planning on doing one this year - although I'll see.

The only real reason I was thinking about doing it is to make some money over the summer and get some work experience (seeing as I can't find much here). I just don't want to be spending the summer lying around doing nothing. I'm not really into spending most of my time enjoying myself over there.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭confusticated

(@mod; sorry of this is in the wrong forum)

Hey there. I'm 20 y/o (21 at the end of April). I'm in 3rd year of a 4 year degree-programme. I've been thinking getting a J1/holiday-working visa to either Canada or the US during this summer.

I think I'm eligible to get one, however, I'm just wondering, do you think 21 is too old to do the J1 (compared with other who do it)? I mean loads of people I know did it last summer when they were ~19/20 and I don't know anyone who's planning on doing one this year - although I'll see.

The only real reason I was thinking about doing it is to make some money over the summer and get some work experience (seeing as I can't find much here). I just don't want to be spending the summer lying around doing nothing. I'm not really into spending most of my time enjoying myself over there.

Sorry OP, I haven't gone on a J1, but a lot of my friends did over various summers, including a big enough group after 3rd year. The only thing I'd say is if you're going over there to make money rather than have fun, it might be tricky...all the people I know who went were living in houses with more people than they should've to save on rent, and they partied a good bit (even though some had 2 jobs). They said they just about broke even, but spent the last few weeks travelling around, so that would have cost them a bit. You might find it hard to fit in with a group if you're not up for enjoying yourself over there.

But for your main question, 21 is definitely not too old!

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭travelledpengy

I didn't bother with the J1, seeing as i had contacts for work etc.. I was 18

The lads I went with went out every single night, I missed out on 2 nights!

Can be tricky to get a job sometimes without knowing people.. craiglist can help, look out for open call jobs where you must call into the establishment to apply, rather then emailing resumes, You get a chance to meet the manager etc give a good impression of yourself.

I'm here on a one year j1 loving it here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Sir Ophiuchus

I did it at the ages of 21, 22, and 24.

Being slightly older is an advantage in the US. You're taken more seriously as a job applicant, and you can legally drink.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

You won't save any money on a J1, none at all. Accomodation and living expenses are relatively high in the US, especially in places where J1's tend to congregate. Even if you have low living costs J1 summer jobs are usually low pay, close to minimum wage. When the cost of flights etc. are added in you'll be lucky to break even, most people lose money.

Experience wise, it's great. Money wise, it's not-breaking even is your best bet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

25 :D Time of my life too, I'd do it all again in a heartbeat. As HavingCrack said you won't get rich from it but the experience is priceless.

• Advertisement
Advertisement