Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Taking photos in a public place

• 25-01-2012 12:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭

I'm sure we've all seen the videos of people in the UK photographing on public property, there's even a few on the first page of the forum here. In Ireland what is the legal situation with this? I've read a few of te threads below with it nad some quote bits and pieces but none quote exact laws etc. Does anyone know exactly what laws apply and if so can you post either the law or what part of the law so I can look it up please.

Main reason for asking is that I'm planning on going to Dublin in a few weeks and intend on going to the city centre with my gear and taking a few photos there but I will be on a tripod so I will stand out, well probably will anyway.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

you can legally take photos in 99.9% of public places without breaking any laws.
    exceptions would sometimes be outside a courthouse, or (i think) near prisons. but in the situations you'd almost certainly be taking photos in, you have nothing to fear, except ill-informed security guards possibly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

The streets around the IFSC are private property and photography is not allowed there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    The streets around the IFSC are private property and photography is not allowed there

Incorrect, while the IFSC is private property, photography is permitted there (according to the management company), but security are just a pain to deal with and don't understand that. But, any commercial shooting does require permission from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Muttly

This would be strictly private use. At most it would end up on my facebook page.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

Ah the joy of it :) long story short, there *are* no privacy laws here. There are legal guidelines under articles 8 and 10 of the european human rights laws, but basically each case is heard and decided in its own right. Which is why you can't find anything.

General rules of thumb: as long as you're in a public place you can photograph at will. This doesn't include public parks, private areas like IFSC and Dundrum town centre, and you cannot cause an obstruction with a tripod on the pavement or road, or intimidate people. Basically, don't be an asshole, be polite, and if you're asked to stop shooting know your rights (above) but don't be rude about it. You really shouldn't be worried about it anyway :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Paulw wrote: »
    Incorrect, while the IFSC is private property, photography is permitted there (according to the management company), but security are just a pain to deal with and don't understand that. But, any commercial shooting does require permission from them.

Thank you Paul, I stand corrected then.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Muttly

Thanks for the reply. Seems a bit clearer now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 288 ✭✭Cableguy

sineadw wrote: »
    This doesn't include public parks

So would this mean you cannot photograph people or things in the Phoenix Park or Stephens Green?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭An Udaras

Within the State Airports of Dublin,Cork & Shannon you are allowed to take photos once they do not cause to be contrary to the interests of security..

It is of course the duty of the Airport Police Service and the DAA whether the images or video are. These powers are drawn from Section 15 of State Airport Act 2004.

Easiest option is to email DAA Media Dept for permission which many do.. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

Cableguy wrote: »
    So would this mean you cannot photograph people or things in the Phoenix Park or Stephens Green?
    I've been pulled up in Stephen's green when I was shooting with a tripod. I think the Phoenix park is big enough that you'll get away with it :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Cableguy wrote: »

Yes, technically tou have to get permission from the OPW first and have that permission on hand for anybody that pulls you up on the day.

100% of the time you will get permission, ie. students, practice, wedding shots, generally aslong as they are not marketing photos is what we have been told before when looking for permission.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭gloobag

I was trying to get permission for Phoenix Park tomorrow, and they asked for proof of insurance. Even though I told them it wasn't a commercial shoot. Also, they said we had to stick to Furze Road. Is this normal?

gloobag wrote: »
    I was trying to get permission for Phoenix Park tomorrow, and they asked for proof of insurance. Even though I told them it wasn't a commercial shoot. Also, they said we had to stick to Furze Road. Is this normal?

Yes, it's normal. They want to make sure that if there is an accident that you can cover any costs (through your PL insurance).

• Registered Users Posts: 6 vraiser79

How is it with minors in photos taken in public places? I took a photo in a town for artistic purposes (black & white photography, catching the atmosphere of the town), there are two girls who could be under 18 and they are, with other people, prominent and important part of that picuture. Can I publish it and sell prints of that pic? Any thoughts will be appreciated. Thanks!

vraiser79 wrote: »
    How is it with minors in photos taken in public places?

There is no distinction between minors and adults.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 vraiser79

Paulw wrote: »
    There is no distinction between minors and adults.
    cheers for the prompt reply!

Advertisement