Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can anyone help with page loading speed?

Options
  • 25-01-2012 12:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭

The site I'm working on has an image carousel on the top third of the page and I think it's slowing down the loading of the page as there's always a 'pause' if you try to scroll down.

http://testsite.blueriverink.com/

Can anyone help me identify/resolve the page loading issue?

All replies much appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭nager

Works fine for me. FireFox9.0.1

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭blue5

Thanks nager, much appreciate that check. Seems I'm having problems on Chrome and IE.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

everything inside of #mportfoliowrap is messing things up, you have 5000x5000 images loading!!!

From what I can see it's set to this? :

#mportfoliowrap {
    padding:10px 0 0px 0;
    margin: 25px 0 20px 0;

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

No, the images inside that div are the problem. Some of them are over 5000px wide & > 1mb. Reduce these images to something reasonable and it will be fixed.

• Advertisement

Ah sorry I see what you mean, thank you very much!
    I'll reduce the size of the images and hopefully reduce the load time, much appreciated.

Had a look at the folders containing the images and they're all quite small :s

503078706-1275b60cfd078ea52c943b41f30a27c2.4f200ae0-full.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

strictly speaking your site should be 960px wide, which will inherently make the images you have in the scroller slightly smaller,
    you can probably compress the jpegs a bit more, especially the leaf one. Also maybe an idea to preload the first two/three

also do you need all of these
    <script type="text/javascript" src="js/jquery-1.3.2.min.js"></script>
    <script type="text/javascript" src="js/colorbox/jquery.colorbox-min.js"></script>
    <script type="text/javascript" src="js/fadeinout.js"></script>
    <script type="text/javascript" src="js/cufon-yui.js"></script>
    <script type="text/javascript" src="js/Museo_Sans_500.font.js"></script>
    <script type="text/javascript" src="js/fontconfig.js"></script>
    <script type="text/javascript" src="js/menu/ddsmoothmenu.js">
    <script type="text/javascript" src="js/loopslider/loopedslider.js"></script>
    <script type="text/javascript" src="js/loopslider/loopslider-custom.js"></script>
    <script type="text/javascript" src="js/jquery.preload.js"></script>
    <script type="text/javascript" src="js/common.js"></script>

also tip, i would have the footer full width of the white enclosing div [same as the strip at the top]

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Kavrocks

YSlow is a handy tool to show you some parts that slow down the loading of your website. Also the Developer Tools that come with Chrome and the add-on for Firefox (Can't remember its name right now) can show you exactly how long each component takes to download.

Placebo & Kavrocks, thanks for the suggestions. I will have a look at the js scripts & footer. That Yslow has given some great site tips too. Cheers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Kavrocks wrote: »
    YSlow is a handy tool to show you some parts that slow down the loading of your website. Also the Developer Tools that come with Chrome and the add-on for Firefox (Can't remember its name right now) can show you exactly how long each component takes to download.

Probably FireBug

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Kavrocks

tricky D wrote: »
    Probably FireBug
    That's the one.

Advertisement