Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wet suit choice for the wet behind the ears

• 25-01-2012 12:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 316 ✭✭

Hello all,

I’m looking to get into and complete a triathlon, possibly even a half iron man as the cycle and run sections I could do at the drop of a hat at any time of the day. But the swim is a different story. That’s going to take a lot of work. So, to that end I was wondering if anyone could give me a bit of advice.

Can anyone recommend the best wetsuit to keep me afloat? I’m not looking to break any records, just complete it.

Cheers
    :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

I would think an entry level wet suit would suit you best - these usually come with the most buoyancy which is great for poor swimmers. I think 5mm thickness are the one you will want. I had an Orca Equipe for a few years which i liked.

Don't buy one till May if you reckon your body composition will change between now and then. The tighter fitting the better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 316 ✭✭Mossess

Thanks for the heads up, I had assumed that the more expensive the suit the more buoyancy included. Cheers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Mossess wrote: »
    Thanks for the heads up, I had assumed that the more expensive the suit the more buoyancy included. Cheers!

Not necessarily so as far as I am aware, I know the expensive one I got last year didn't have the same buoyancy in the same areas.

I went to Irishfit when I bought my first wetsuit, in fairness to Sean in there he talked me out of a more expensive suit that was within my budget because he didn't think I would be a good enough swimmer for it.

I also came out to him when i was trying to put it on saying it was too small and he told me the tighter the better - so perhaps wait till the weather is appropriate for OW swimming before you buy it, particularly if you think you are going to lose weight before race season

They are a pleasure to swim with though after a winter of struggling in the pool

Advertisement