Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby not sitting

• 25-01-2012 12:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 457 ✭✭

I have a 7 month old boy who does not seem very interested in sitting up. I can put him in sitting position and the odd time he may wobble there for few seconds but usually he just keeps flinging himself backwards like he wants to lie back down again. He rolls around and spends plenty of time on his belly....when do babies usually sit up??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭foxinsocks

I'd say *most* babies can sit unaided by 7-8 months, but honestly, the real answer to the question "when do babies usually sit up??" Is "When they feel like it". The best thing to do to encourage him is to sit him on the floor propped up with pillows. They'll help keep him upright, but cushion him when he goes flying :) He just hasn't realised the benefits of sitting yet, ie, hands free to play! I really truly would not worry, as soon as he sees the need, he'll stay sitting. I found this site to be helpful for the milestone checks:

http://www.babycenter.com/0_milestone-chart-1-to-6-months_1496585.bc

There's a link to the 7-12 month chart at the bottom of that one, and links explaining all the major milestones in the chart.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭newmammy2011

I have 2 9 month olds who are generally fine sitting but they will occassionally forget and just lean backwards! Its only in the last month or so that they would sit for more than a few minutes without falling over! I usually have a beanbag behind them...just in case!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 457 ✭✭Winnie

yeah i think i will try propping him up with pillows and see if he realises the benefits as 'foxinsocks' said

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Winnie wrote: »
    I have a 7 month old boy who does not seem very interested in sitting up. I can put him in sitting position and the odd time he may wobble there for few seconds but usually he just keeps flinging himself backwards like he wants to lie back down again. He rolls around and spends plenty of time on his belly....when do babies usually sit up??

Firstly, belly time is good time, so well done on that, and as regards sitting up, our little one was nine months before he sat up! he then started to crawl by eleven months, four weeks later he was walking! so my advice to you is don't worry, all children are different, some sit up quicker than others, some walk younger etc etc, he will sit up when you least expect it, so just keep encouraging him . . . .

PS: My cousins daughter didn't walk until she was nearly two, she's now three & flying around the place :))

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

My 7 month old can not do that either yet, she does have time in a baby chair but she is still learning, she is trying to walk but she has not fully mastered crawling yet!

I had major surgery a few years ago and had to learn how to sit up again, it is not as easy as it seems and you have to build up muscles to do it - I used to scream when getting the physio.

They do things at theire own pace.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

My 1st baby was not sitting up properly at that age either,she would forget and fall over sometimes.
    My 2nd was already trying to crawl:)
    They are all so different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I think my son was 8 months before he even seemed interested in sitting up. I think he was 8.5-9 months before he sat up unaided. I used to sit him on the floor with his back against my legs for support and then he started trying to do it himself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

Some people don't 'sit' their babies until they can do it for themselves...the theory is that if they achieve it by themselves it motivates them to be more autonomous, physically and mentally. I tried this with my second baby and tbh I found it really frustrating- she didn't sit herself til about 10 months and it was a pain trying to always feed her on my lap or not being able to prop her up so she could see what was going on- and she didn't seem any more motivated for it either. Don't think I'll bother for the next one.

Anyway, my point is that lots of babies don't or can't sit til much later than 7months so I wouldn't worry about it. There's usually a huge individual difference in the developmental milestones at this age anyway. All the best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

My 1st was sitting at 6 months and 2 days unaided no flopping a month later she was walking holding one finger (could walk properly in the walker from 5 months).

My second was sitting at 7 1/2 months unaided and no flopping and he was 5 weeks premature.

My 3rd was sitting at 7months +1 week unaided and no flopping and 2 weeks later was crawling up the stairs. Hated the walker so he crawled properly on his hands and knees straight into mischief.

A friend of mine has a 7 1/2 year old and his still flopping over and doesn't put any weight on his feet, all mine were trying to stand at 2 months.

My eldest brother couldn't sit at 10 months yet he would walk around the furniture, he was 2 months premature, his cousin who was a few days older could sit but not walk around the furniture.

All kids do things at their own pace. The more you help them practice, the better. I used to prop mine up with pillows then slowly move the supports away until they could sit on their own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 747 ✭✭✭qwertytlk

My son is almost 8 months and is sitting up the last approx 2 months. It all depemnds on the baby i think but generally going by the developmental milestones they say it can be anywhere between 5-8 months. Is he behind with anything else? If so then maybe bring him to the phn, otherwise if it were me and this was the only thing i would wait it out for another couple of weeks and see how he goes. You know yourself how quickly they seem to cop on to things and do things. One day my son had to hold my hands to sit up then the next i put him half lying down on pillows and turned around for a second, when i turned back he had pushed himself up and was sittig there playing with his toes lol! I dont know if i helped him at all to strengthen his misucles but i used to let him lie down and hold my hands and kind of let him pull himself up, with a bit of help. I used to do this every day so maybe that helped him along...not sure?!

• Advertisement
Advertisement