Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I put down a coat of lacquer on a floor thats allready varnished

• 25-01-2012 12:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭

Hey. A couple of weeks ago I sanded three rooms in my house. I varnished the first room, I put down two coats. I was going to put down a third but ran out of varnish. Since then a mate recommending putting down a coat of lacquer first to protect the wood.

I will do that in the next two rooms, is there any point doing in in the first room with two coats of varnish down? Is it a bit like closing the stable door after the horse has bolted?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

Personally I wouldnt bother, but run your hand over the floorboards to see if its smooth enough, because then you will have to put in for sock allowance from revenue:D

If its smooth then leave well enough alone, bedrooms don't get much traffic. If it was a sitting room I'd be looking for 3/4 coats.....

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭oxygen

mad m wrote: »
    Personally I wouldnt bother, but run your hand over the floorboards to see if its smooth enough, because then you will have to put in for sock allowance from revenue:D

If its smooth then leave well enough alone, bedrooms don't get much traffic. If it was a sitting room I'd be looking for 3/4 coats.....

eh, crap... its the sitting room that Ive done so far. The hall (small) and office are next. The stairs and all the bedrooms have carpet on them,, plenty of sock allowance in carpet :)

Thanks for the reply, does your advice still stand?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

I would stick with the same stuff you used on the other rooms, the only reason I said to put at least 3 coats is you will get constant traffic in a sitting room, same with hall. Bedrooms you don't get much traffic if you know what I mean....

Varnish is a lacquer, your friend probably used cellouse lacquer with has a hardner which is especially for floors, you can't put this over normal white spirit based finish as the cellouse will lift and soften the varnish....

Stick with what you used....

Advertisement