Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV fault, what to do next.

Options
  • 25-01-2012 1:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Just looking for some advice.

I purchased a LG 50" Full HD TV on July 25th 2009 (2.5 years old as of today) from Power City (still have the receipt). As of last night the display has 'broke'. It produces a snowy/haze effect with a blue/green tint. The TV is un-watchable.

I did a quick bit of browsing online and came across this forum where many people are having the same issue (http://www.avforums.com/forums/lg-forum/1367960-lg-50ps3000-red-haze-screen.html)

I called Power City and said that it only has a 12 month warranty and the best they could do was provide me with the number of a repair man. He still hasn't returned my call so god only knows what that will cost.

I called LG and they gave me two options:
    1 - buy an extended warranty (I still need to call that number and find out how much it is)
    2 - they've provided me with a 3rd part repair service here in Dublin that i need to call.

Just wondering what my next move should be? Considering the issues detailed in the forum it sounds like its potentially a design/manufacturing defect. I'd have no problem paying 50 to maybe even 100 quid to get it fixed but I'd imagine it will cost a lot more than that!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I imagine a 50" full HD cost a pretty penny back in 2009 and I would certainly not see 2.5 years as a reasonable lifetime for something that basically sits in a corner/is perched on a wall. That warranty is completely irrelevant and has nothing to do with your statutory rights. You don't need to deal with LG as your contract of sale is with the shop.

You can go and argue with the manager and try pursue your rights in the store but in my experience, most managers are restricted by policy, cannot budge and you're just adding undue stress to your day.

It may be simpler to send a letter (registered post) to HO detailing your issue. Explain that it wasn't damaged and provide the link to the other similar cases. Inform them that you will be expecting repair, refund or replacement as the unit has not lasted for a reasonable time-frame and thus they are in contravention of the SOGA by denying you your consumer rights. State that you would like a satisfactory response within 10 working days or you will initiate SCC proceedings.

If you don't get satisfactory recourse, head over to the small claims website and fill out the form. It'll cost you €15 and may take several weeks. If all is a simple as it seems from your post, I would not bet against a judgment in your favour at the SCC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭OmegaRed

Thanks for the info mate. The TV has sat there for the last 2.5 years, it cost me €1000 back in 2009 :(

No HDTV or PS3 for awhile I guess :(

Just drafted the letter there and photocopied the receipt. Gonna pop over to the post office in a bit. Will keep ya posted!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

OmegaRed wrote: »
    Thanks for the info mate. The TV has sat there for the last 2.5 years, it cost me €1000 back in 2009 :(

No HDTV or PS3 for awhile I guess :(

Just drafted the letter there and photocopied the receipt. Gonna pop over to the post office in a bit. Will keep ya posted!

good man, not a moment's procrastination, best of luck with it. Also have a look around the forum, it seems to be faulty telly season here lately. Loads of info and experiences being shared around.

Advertisement