Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keeping a joint of ham moist and tender for sandwiches?

Options
  • 25-01-2012 1:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭

We boiled a ham before specifically to keep for sandwiches during the week. We steeped it over night and then boiled it in fresh water and left it to simmer on heat 3/6 of the electric hob for 20 minutes per pound.

We let it cool, and used the electric slicer to carve thin slices half of which we stored in a sealed container in the fridge, the other a sealed container in the freezer.

The ham was nice but seemed a bit dry and had some furry white bits from being dry.

This time I have been told after I boil it to cover it in a mustard and honey mixture and then put in the oven but I'm not sure for how long.

Will this keep it moist and tender?

Is 3/6 on the electric hob the correct heat to simmer it for 20 minutes per pound?

What is the correct temperature and time to roast it for if this is the way to go?

I would like moist tender ham like a butcher would supply but I have heard that is only like that because it is not as healthy?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Baking it after boiling it will only cause it to lose more moisture.
    To be honest, your best bet would be to carve it 'on-demand'. By carving it to use a few days later will only lead to it drying out more.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭annamcmahon

I agree about slicing it as you need it. I wrap it in a clean teatowel and put it in the fridge. Also I started to leave it to cool in the water as recommended by Paulo Tullio. It keeps it really moist too as the moisture doesn't escape as steam.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭babaduck

I always simmer (not boil) ham on a very low heat and them roast it for about 30 minutes. It makes the ham very succulent & juicy. MIL boiled the arse out of her ham at Christmas & she ended up with similar results to yours. I find that an electric knife tears the ham as well - I use a very sharp knife & hand carve slices. Here's my recipe - see what you think

• Registered Users Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭runswithascript

Baking it after boiling it will only cause it to lose more moisture.
    To be honest, your best bet would be to carve it 'on-demand'. By carving it to use a few days later will only lead to it drying out more.
    I agree about slicing it as you need it. I wrap it in a clean teatowel and put it in the fridge. Also I started to leave it to cool in the water as recommended by Paulo Tullio. It keeps it really moist too as the moisture doesn't escape as steam.

Thanks, all good advice!

I've gone with the just boiling option and it seems more tender.

What I did not do yesterday although I did mention it to someone was to leave it cool in water. I laughed reading you suggested that same thing as apparently does some famous chef :)
    babaduck wrote: »
    I always simmer (not boil) ham on a very low heat and them roast it for about 30 minutes. It makes the ham very succulent & juicy. MIL boiled the arse out of her ham at Christmas & she ended up with similar results to yours. I find that an electric knife tears the ham as well - I use a very sharp knife & hand carve slices. Here's my recipe - see what you think

The recipe looks great for when I am making a dinner but wouldn't glaze just for sandwiches be very unhealthy?

Also, how is it the over does not dry out the ham, perhaps the glaze prevents this in which case I should skip the over if skipping the glaze?

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭babaduck

I don't think the glaze is particularly unhealthy - you're cutting thin slices of ham, each of which will contain a miniscule quantity of the glaze (which you could cut away if needed)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,045 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

dusf wrote: »

Also, how is it the over does not dry out the ham, perhaps the glaze prevents this in which case I should skip the over if skipping the glaze?

I'd only roast it if it has a layer of fat around it.
    This will prevent it from drying out and is what, along with the glaze makes roasting the ham work. It is really about making a tasty 'roasty' flavoured layer on the ham rather than about cooking it any more so if you want to glaze/roast the ham do it in a good hot oven (200degC or more) for about 20 minutes keeping an eye on it so it doesn't burn. Even just honey and mustard makes a good glaze with some cloves stuck in and as said earlier, the bit of honey divided over the whole piece is not a health crime and I love a little layer of glazed fat on my ham - it's all about moderation.

Roasting it without a glaze will still give it a nice roast look and taste.

Thanks to all the input I have been boiling the ham and keeping it tender, but it usually loses its shape and I would rather it did not.

This is probably a stupid question, but is there anyway you can boil it with plastic ring (not the main plastic cover) still attached to keep the shape? I have been removing it to help steep out some of the salt overnight.

I do not have any twine, is that what I should be using and do I basically just tie two or three loops around it depending on size? I have seen twine nets somewhere, are they any better and if so where can I pick one up?

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

I always leave the inner plastic ring on. Its purpose is to keep the ham together. Just ensure that the ham sits flat, so that the ring has no opportunity to melt against the sides of the pot. I have never had an issue with it.

Also with twine, just cut two or three lengths of it, each one several inches longer than the circumference of the ham. Then tie them on, one by one. It will hold together nicely for you.

I always leave the inner plastic ring on. Its purpose is to keep the ham together. Just ensure that the ham sits flat, so that the ring has no opportunity to melt against the sides of the pot. I have never had an issue with it.

Also with twine, just cut two or three lengths of it, each one several inches longer than the circumference of the ham. Then tie them on, one by one. It will hold together nicely for you.

Thanks, is one better than the other? I don't think I have yet encountered a ham without a plastic ring around it.

Maybe it steeps and removes more salt removing the ring and using twine?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,045 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I find that most modern ham isn't very salty and doesn't require soaking - especially if you're boiling it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I leave the plastic ring on too - and don't soak it when it's going to be boiled. Ham is low salt nowadays.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,434 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Is it? Why so? I soaked one for about an hour before putting in the slow cooker, it did seem to zap some of the flavour, I'll admit.

I would just worry that some of the flavour you lost is some of the salt! I would like to be sure about the salt because I have a ham sandwich most days.

Also, where do you guys buy your ham? I usually get a small one for sandwiches in Dunnes or Tesco for €4, although this week I'm trying one from Lidl for €5.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭nompere

Thanks to all the input I have been boiling the ham and keeping it tender, but it usually loses its shape and I would rather it did not.

This is probably a stupid question, but is there anyway you can boil it with plastic ring (not the main plastic cover) still attached to keep the shape? I have been removing it to help steep out some of the salt overnight.

I do not have any twine, is that what I should be using and do I basically just tie two or three loops around it depending on size? I have seen twine nets somewhere, are they any better and if so where can I pick one up?

Thanks.

That plastic is really quite robust.

Cooking the Christmas ham three months ago, I completely forgot about the plastic. The piece of ham (about 6lbs) went into a roasting tray, and I added about a pint of apple juice. Covered the whole thing with tinfoil and it got 25 minutes per pound (I can't do these kilo things!) at about 160 degrees (I can do Celsius for cooking).

When I took it out to glaze it the plastic came as quite a surprise - but the oven had done nothing to it, and the final ham, glazed with whiskey, mustard and brown sugar, was a triumph.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 minnieq

When im cooking my ham i leave the plastic ring on, i dont soak, and leave the ham in the water to cool down. This lets the ham relax and soak up the water. I cut slices from the ham as i need them and keep in the fridge. As a treat i would glaze now and again.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Black Oil wrote: »
    Is it? Why so? I soaked one for about an hour before putting in the slow cooker, it did seem to zap some of the flavour, I'll admit.

I don't know why ham is low salt nowadays, a butcher would be the best person to ask. Soaking it would definitely ruin the flavour. I bake a whole ham every Christmas and the past couple of years I didn't soak it, and the flavour was amazing. And I don't have a great tolerance for salt, if it was salty I wouldn't be able to eat it.

Also, where do you guys buy your ham? I usually get a small one for sandwiches in Dunnes or Tesco for €4, although this week I'm trying one from Lidl for €5.

I buy mine in Dunnes, Superquinn or our local supermarket, usually a €10 piece. When it goes cold I slice it and freeze it - it freezes extremely well. We're huge fans of ham and eggs for breakfast in our house so we always have ham in the freezer.

I buy mine in Dunnes, Superquinn or our local supermarket, usually a €10 piece. When it goes cold I slice it and freeze it - it freezes extremely well. We're huge fans of ham and eggs for breakfast in our house so we always have ham in the freezer.

I find it works better for me freezing half of the small ham whole, and slicing as I need it once defrosted. Are you using an electric carver?

Do you heat that ham for breakfast or have it cold with fried eggs?

I find it works better for me freezing half of the small ham whole, and slicing as I need it once defrosted. Are you using an electric carver?

Do you heat that ham for breakfast or have it cold with fried eggs?

I use an electric knife to slice it up when it's cold - that way you can take out just as much as you need.

We don't heat the ham, we have it cold with poached or fried eggs and toast. Sounds strange but once you try it you'll be hooked :)

I use an electric knife to slice it up when it's cold - that way you can take out just as much as you need.

Hmm okay, but I am not sure I understand re taking out just as much as you need. Surely you do not store each slice individually, maybe several in freezer bags or something?

I have a 1KG ham cooking and when it's done I will let it cool in the water because I think that makes it more moist? And then after removing the far I will chop it in half, freeze half, and fridge the other.
    We don't heat the ham, we have it cold with poached or fried eggs and toast. Sounds strange but once you try it you'll be hooked :)

I will try it tomorrow, it is Saturday after all :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Curry Addict

for 1kg we boil it for 25 mins, remove it and stud with clove, glaze it with honey and mustard. then roast it for 30 mins covered with tin foil, remove the tin foil then roast for a further 15 mins to crisp the outside it. cool it then slice it and vacuum pack it. it keeps for weeks in the fridge and perfect.

for 1kg we boil it for 25 mins, remove it and stud with clove, glaze it with honey and mustard. then roast it for 30 mins covered with tin foil, remove the tin foil then roast for a further 15 mins to crisp the outside it. cool it then slice it and vacuum pack it. it keeps for weeks in the fridge and perfect.

That sounds good and I'm sure it would be even without the honey and glaze! It's in a pot cooling at the moment after bringing to the boil and simmering for 44 minutes, 20 per pound.

Hmm okay, but I am not sure I understand re taking out just as much as you need. Surely you do not store each slice individually, maybe several in freezer bags or something?

Yes we freeze lots of slices together in freezer bags, I just meant it was easier than freezing half the joint and then having to defrost it all at once :)

Advertisement