Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving BB only from Vodafone to Eircom

Options
  • 25-01-2012 1:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

I currently have 2 landlines, one is with Eircom, the other is with Vodafone for BB and Hive for calls/line rental.

Broadband on Eircom line is twice the speed of Vodafone and Vodafone doesn't have a clue why. The simple solution is to move the BB on the second line to Eircom.

I asked vodafone and they state I have 28 days notice period. How does this work ? Do I ask Eircom to switch me and they take care of the whole thing including notifying Vodafone or do I need to cancel Vodafone, wait 28 days then ask Eircom to connect BB ?

Also- if the eircom speed on that second line won't get above the current VF speed, I will probably forget about it altogether and stop the broadband on that line. Is there a period in which I can check the speed once Eircom has connected me and then stop it if the speed is lower than on my other line ? I guess I will know as soon as I am connected.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

Thanks for posting on the eircom Boards Forum and apologies for the delay replying.

If you wish to switch from another provider to eircom, just call into Broadband Sales on freefone 1800503303.

You won't need to do anything else and the Sales Team will look after everything for you; including taking back your phone number and contacting your current provider.

In general, there is no absolute guarantee with any form of Adsl or broadband. However, it is likely that you will receive the same speeds on both your phonelines if they are connected to the same exchange. An eircom engineer will first need to setup and then test your phone line before broadband can be enabled again.

You can also check your optimum broadband connection on our website and avail of further savings if you sign up online. Please see our Product websites below:

http://bit.ly/FindBestPackage

http://www.eircom.net/broadband/onlineoffers

Let me know if I can help further.

Best wishes,
    Ant
    nobbe wrote: »
    I currently have 2 landlines, one is with Eircom, the other is with Vodafone for BB and Hive for calls/line rental.

Broadband on Eircom line is twice the speed of Vodafone and Vodafone doesn't have a clue why. The simple solution is to move the BB on the second line to Eircom.

I asked vodafone and they state I have 28 days notice period. How does this work ? Do I ask Eircom to switch me and they take care of the whole thing including notifying Vodafone or do I need to cancel Vodafone, wait 28 days then ask Eircom to connect BB ?

Also- if the eircom speed on that second line won't get above the current VF speed, I will probably forget about it altogether and stop the broadband on that line. Is there a period in which I can check the speed once Eircom has connected me and then stop it if the speed is lower than on my other line ? I guess I will know as soon as I am connected.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 27 nobbe

OK, not really happy with the situation here

Called the sales team, asked them how many days I could basically test the speed to see whether it is the same as the speed I am getting on the other eircom line.

I was told I have the right to cancel within 7 days of ordering the product. I asked how long it would take to get the broadband installed. The lasy said up to a week or longer. So I asked that if it is over 7 days, the speed is not up to scratch I was still bound by a 12 mo nth contract- the answer was yes.

In this more recent thread it states 2 weeks

Which is it ? I need to test the speed before I will commit to 12 months- I am not looking for 24 Mb - I just want the broadband my line supports which is 1536 Kb/s and which I am getting on my second line.

Secondly if my notice period with Vodafone is 28 days- how will that work then ? I order now , 28 days later my BB will be installed and I will be bound by a 12 month contract even before any service has been delivered.

Lastly- how do I switch broadband and still avail of the online discounts ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

OK, not really happy with the situation here

Called the sales team, asked them how many days I could basically test the speed to see whether it is the same as the speed I am getting on the other eircom line.

I was told I have the right to cancel within 7 days of ordering the product. I asked how long it would take to get the broadband installed. The lasy said up to a week or longer. So I asked that if it is over 7 days, the speed is not up to scratch I was still bound by a 12 mo nth contract- the answer was yes.

In this more recent thread it states 2 weeks

Which is it ? I need to test the speed before I will commit to 12 months- I am not looking for 24 Mb - I just want the broadband my line supports which is 1536 Kb/s and which I am getting on my second line.

Secondly if my notice period with Vodafone is 28 days- how will that work then ? I order now , 28 days later my BB will be installed and I will be bound by a 12 month contract even before any service has been delivered.

Lastly- how do I switch broadband and still avail of the online discounts ?

Hi nobbe,

Have you placed the order to transfer back to eircom as yet?

Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 27 nobbe

Hi nobbe,

Have you placed the order to transfer back to eircom as yet?

Mark

Hi Mark- No and I won't if I can't be sure that the speed I will get is what I am getting on the second line.
    I understand you will say there is no reason why the speed would be any different on the two lines as they are physically the same. But the fact that I currently have two different speeds on those lines is a mystery that Vodafone has not been able to solve for a while (now I obviously don't know how much effort they put in it).

So is there any test you guys could do to see what I would be getting on the line once transferred to Eircom.

I also don't really understand why I can't get a day or so to test before I commit for 12 months. It is only the BB service I am talking about. I see no difference between my requirement and the service most 3G providers give , where you can test the dongle service and if it is not for you- no harm done. I am prepared to pay for the day's service. You also don't need to send me a modem for my test as I already have the eircom modem on the other line.

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

Hi Mark- No and I won't if I can't be sure that the speed I will get is what I am getting on the second line.
    I understand you will say there is no reason why the speed would be any different on the two lines as they are physically the same. But the fact that I currently have two different speeds on those lines is a mystery that Vodafone has not been able to solve for a while (now I obviously don't know how much effort they put in it).

So is there any test you guys could do to see what I would be getting on the line once transferred to Eircom.

I also don't really understand why I can't get a day or so to test before I commit for 12 months. It is only the BB service I am talking about. I see no difference between my requirement and the service most 3G providers give , where you can test the dongle service and if it is not for you- no harm done. I am prepared to pay for the day's service. You also don't need to send me a modem for my test as I already have the eircom modem on the other line.

Cheers

Hi nobbe,

If you would like to PM me with your address, I can check if the speed limitation is distance or exchange related. If it id either of these that will confirm that a new line will have the same broadband capablity.

Thanks, Mark

• Advertisement
Advertisement