Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Michael Colreavy and Household charge.

Options
  • 25-01-2012 1:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭

Just listening to an interview on Ocean this morning with Michael Colreavy,who has came out today and said he is refusing to pay the Household charge(aka Household tax) out of a matter of principal.
    Of course Niall Delaney suggested that Michael was some sort of criminal for not paying this charge.I think Michael is right to make a stand againist the current government,which quite obviously is working.
    I have never voted or supported Sinn Fein but at the moment they seem to be the only party that have a clue how to amend the countries problems.
    I think its a credit to a local TD to stand up for the small guy,I know in my own circumstances,I can ill afford to pay the €100 charge.Also good that he made the statement on the day were giving 1.5billion in tax payers money to unsecured bond holders of former Anglo-Irish.
    Just wondering what the people of the North West feel about Michael's actions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

It is nice to see someone actually representing the people's interests,rather than lying getting into power and turning his back on the people (Jimmy Devins and Perry come to mind)

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭mountainy man

I'm not paying it either, good on him. In fact I don't know anyone who is intending to pay it.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭genie

I'm not paying it either. Is anyone here a member on:-

http://www.nohouseholdtax.org

At the moment I seem to be the only Sligo person on it!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,586 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

I'm just glad to hear he's ok, there hasn't been sight nor sound of him since he got into the Dail </sarc.>

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Pete M.

genie wrote: »
    I'm not paying it either. Is anyone here a member on:-

http://www.nohouseholdtax.org

At the moment I seem to be the only Sligo person on it!

No Genie, there's a few more knocking around too you can be sure ;)

Was putting out leaflets this evening. Fine evening it was as well.

There are going to be a few public meetings in the coming weeks, so I'm sure they'll bring a few people out.

And yeah, fair play to Colreavy for showing his opposition. And even a begrudging nod to Sligo Borough Labour Councillors for voting against it too.

This is a very important campaign, especially after today's payment to the Vulture Funds.
    I'm just glad to hear he's ok, there hasn't been sight nor sound of him since he got into the Dail </sarc.>

Ah now in fairness he has been doing something at least, heard him mentioned a couple of times, it's Tony that I'm worried about. There's not sight nor light of the poor bewildered thing...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Dazzler88

seems not as quiet as you may suggest
    http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=michael+colreavy&oq=Michael+Colrea&aq=0&aqi=g1&aql=&gs_sm=c&gs_upl=2536l6749l0l8758l14l13l0l2l2l1l412l2069l0.3.5.0.1l9l0

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭thebuzz

Let's hope he sticks to his pledge so.

I know of a former Sligo T.D. who was telling people to refuse to pay a charge years ago (bin charges) but yet he paid it himself and therefore when it came down to it, he wouldn't have got in any trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

They were keeping the list of unfinished housing estates nice and quiet up until the begining of the week but I see it's up on the website now.

https://www.householdcharge.ie/UHE/Sligo.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Taxes aren't optional.

You can't choose not to pay them.

I'd love to say to the publican, "I choose not to pay excise duty", but I can't, I must pay excise duty on beer, whether I agree with it or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,586 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Dazzler88 wrote: »

Arra here, all posted up by 'sinnfeinireland' or 'sligoSF' . Not quite the opening news story of the evening news or the front page of a national newspaper now is it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Dazzler88

Arra here, all posted up by 'sinnfeinireland' or 'sligoSF' . Not quite the opening news story of the evening news or the front page of a national newspaper now is it.
    Doesn't really matter who posted them,you said you hadn't heard him in the Dail,so I posted them clips to give you the chance to hear him ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Geuze wrote: »
    Taxes aren't optional.

I'd love to say to the publican, "I choose not to pay excise duty", but I can't, I must pay excise duty on beer, whether I agree with it or not.
    a certain publican in town done that with the licence;)ex mayor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭yourpics

Geuze wrote: »
    Taxes aren't optional.

I think the issue here is that it is an unfair tax. It was voted for "democratically" in the Dail except it was far from democratic as the FG and LAB TD's are essentially told what way to vote. Furthermore the tax doesn't go to fund local services like the fire brigade as suggested by Enda Kenny.
    Example - rates in NI cover the cost of the fire brigade. Household tax in ROI won't cover it and what's more the cost of calling the fire brigade has risen 100% in the last few weeks eg Donegal

@PeteM Could you let us know when and where the public meetings are? Thanks! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Pete M.

genie wrote: »
    @PeteM Could you let us know when and where the public meetings are? Thanks! :)

Public Meeting Against the Household Tax in the Glasshouse Hotel, on Thursday 9th February at 8.00.p.m. Main Speaker Clare Daly T.D.

;)

Bumping this up as the Sligo meeting is tomorrow night. :)

Just been on the website and in the events section, Sligo isn't even included on their list of counties. :(

Advertisement