Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacing router/modem

Options
  • 25-01-2012 2:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

I need to replace a netopia router/modem. I cant gain access to open a port.

The line has a fixed IP, do I need to change anything in the config of the new router to allow for this or will eircom assign the IP based on my line?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

Hello all,

I need to replace a netopia router/modem. I cant gain access to open a port.

The line has a fixed IP, do I need to change anything in the config of the new router to allow for this or will eircom assign the IP based on my line?

Thanks

Cheers godskitchen,

If you have a static IP address this will be automatically assigned to you on your broadband connection. It doesn't matter what modem you use as long as it is Adsl compatible.

If you need to open ports, or set up port forwarding, then you will need to change your modem's advanced options. This is usually found under 'Nat Settings' in 'Advanced Options'; though you made need to consult with the modem manufacturer or contact their Technical Support. Most popular modem port administration changes can be usually found online. For e.g: http://portforward.com/ or Opening ports on a router Tutorial

Kind regards,
    Ant

Advertisement