Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ivor Calleley arrested

• 25-01-2012 2:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,746 ✭✭✭

Just heard on the rte news that Ivor Calleley has been arrested for Fraud related to mobile phone bills and has been taken to Irishtown garda station. Guess more news will follow soon enough. Could we finally be seeing a change in this country?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

Breaking news on lunchtime radio - Callely arrested by Garda Fraud Squad investigating mobile phone receipts.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 99 ✭✭Royal Dub

Doubt it, he'll be home in time for Fair City

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 230 ✭✭Ratzo Rizzo

Paddy Power has already closed the book on the bet that a member of the public will be jailed for not paying the water charge before a politician is jailed for corruption...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,628 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Floppybits wrote: »
    Just heard on the rte news that Ivor Calleley has been arrested for Fraud related to mobile phone bills and has been taken to Irishtown garda station. Guess more news will follow soon enough. Could we finally be seeing a change in this country?

Should he have been taken to a Cork garda station :p

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,533 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

On the day the bond holders are getting a juicy payout, imagine that ...

Deserves to be investigated, but why did it take so long to start that investigation?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Username is valid and not in use

Media distraction

Is his pension going to be taken off him if convicted ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭DoesNotCompute

Floppybits wrote: »

A lot done, more to do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

great news (albeit about 2 years late) wonder if he's charged will his 60k PA state pension be affected...probably not.

just for the craic they should target Healy Rae and all the calls made for that charity malarky from within Dail Eireann.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭bb12

are they trying to create a distraction for the day that's in it?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭HellFireClub

bb12 wrote: »
    are they trying to create a distraction for the day that's in it?!

That's all it is, a nod in the direction of the peasants.

EDIT: No doubt he already has one eye on the High Court, what is it you get these days for a "wrongful" arrest, 60K or something I bet you he'll manage to pull out of this one... You can just hear the argument, "my client m'lud, he was placed within a holding cell in the Garda Station with a man who was wearing a tracksuit, he is entitled to compensation"...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,746 ✭✭✭Floppybits

A lot done, more to do

is that you Bertie? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 343 ✭✭Dammer

Deserves to be investigated, but why did it take so long to start that investigation?

This is our cake, eat it.

Pure distraction tactics. Why did it take the Gards so long?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭raymon

Although the news of his arrest is wonderful , I have zero confidence that this will make the courts.

Look at his FF friend WO'Dea .

FFers don't go to jail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭hallelujajordan

raymon wrote: »
    Although the news of his arrest is wonderful , I have zero confidence that this will make the courts.

Look at his FF friend WO'Dea .

FFers don't go to jail.

Ray Burke and the late Liam Lawlor would probably disagree with you and Willie O'Dea was never charged with any crime.

This is a positive development. . I hope that Callelly is thoroughly investigated and if appropriate, charged and tried . . .

Willie O'Dea was never charged with any crime.
    . . .

Indeed

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭teddansonswig

Dammer wrote: »

hopefully they took their time to do it properly.
    after the brian curtin ordeal.

its a joyous evening for the people of dublin north central!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Hopefully Bertie just shat himself. Any sign of that Mahon report?

MadsL wrote: »
    Hopefully Bertie just shat himself. Any sign of that Mahon report?

Believe me ... none of the FFers will end up in the clink. Not Callely , not Bertie

Willie o Dea is a great example of how it works

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭barney4001

whatever happened to the baltimore harbour boat incident he was involved in

Believe me ... none of the FFers will end up in the clink. Not Callely , not Bertie

Willie o Dea is a great example of how it works

Your anti-FF rhetoric is getting boring . . did I not already point out a couple of examples of Fianna Fail politicians who have spent time in prison ? . . There is no basis for you to make the assertion that "no FFers end up in the clink"

You know that the reason O'Dea wasn't charged is because there simply wasn't the evidence that he committed perjury (in the legal sense) . . yet you continue to imply that he wasn't charged because he is a FF politician ? Complete nonsense. . . .

I hope (and expect) that Callely will be treated the same as any other citizen . . investigated thoroughly, charged if appropriate and then tried . . if convicted I hope he is punished the same as any other citizen would be whether that is a jail term or a fine !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭john reilly

sure if filling out a few expense forms incorrectly was a crime, there wouldnt be a civil servant left walking the streets, only thing would be that we would have no gardai to catch them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

sure if filling out a few expense forms incorrectly was a crime, there wouldnt be a civil servant left walking the streets, only thing would be that we would have no gardai to catch them

Very few of us, whether in the public or private sector, have supported an expense claim with receipts purporting to have been issued by a company which had ceased trading before the dates on the receipts . . .

You know that the reason O'Dea wasn't charged is because there simply wasn't the evidence that he committed perjury (in the legal sense) . . yet you continue to imply that he wasn't charged because he is a FF politician ? Complete nonsense. . . . !

This is not true , the evidence was compelling.

What do you mean " in the legal sense "??? Have you become a barrister as well as a statistician ?? Please elaborate

By the way do you still think Bertie was a great leader ??? Is he still a hero to you?

His day is coming too hopefully

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

These things only happen on days to cover up other news.

It says a lot about the independence of our police force.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 567 ✭✭✭puzzle factory

barney4001 wrote: »
    whatever happened to the baltimore harbour boat incident he was involved in

just red up on it there,he left the scene of the accident...........
    http://joe.ie/news-politics/newsmakers/5-things-you-may-not-know-about-senator-ivor-callely-003136-1

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Wider Road

Dammer wrote: »

hopefully they took their time to do it properly.
    after the brian curtin ordeal.

its a joyous evening for the people of dublin north central!

The Brian Curtin ordeal, what a out the Bernard Lynch ordeal?
    It's still ignored by many of the people that visit this site for some strange reasons!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

Your anti-FF rhetoric is getting boring . . did I not already point out a couple of examples of Fianna Fail politicians who have spent time in prison ? . . There is no basis for you to make the assertion that "no FFers end up in the clink"

You know that the reason O'Dea wasn't charged is because there simply wasn't the evidence that he committed perjury (in the legal sense) . . yet you continue to imply that he wasn't charged because he is a FF politician ? Complete nonsense. . . .

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't O'Dea swear an affidavit to a judge stating that he didn't defame the Sinn Fein councillors brother? (comments about him running a brothel in Limerick). Then the journalists tape came out which proved he did say the allegations. That's pretty much perjury in any book- he misled the courts and the judge.

There's a thing called 'discretion' that superintendents & the DPP have on deciding on whether or not to prosecute a case. They aren't required to tell the public why they are not pursuing the case, even when it is in the public interest to know. This is what happened, the usual FF corruption, nod and wink stuff.

In the case of Willie O'Dea they didn't prosecute because by that stage he had paid over €100k in damages (he has publicly admitted this), not because there wasn't enough evidence- there was plenty available to the DPP and the Gardai via the journalists tape. There just wasn't the political will by FF to prosecute a poll topping Minister / solicitor who perjured himself.

O'Dea bought his way out of the problem with the person he defamed but there is still the case of his perjury which would be a state led action - however in this country the DPP, senior Gardai and Judges are all political appointments and they weren't willing to bite the Fianna Fail hand that promoted them onto the gravy train in the first place. This is banana republic clientalism in its purest form- the people who protect the state are always beholden for their position to those who appointed them and will always protect their sponsors at any cost. Communist Russia thrived on the exact same system, not all that different to what still goes on here to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭john reilly

gizmo555 wrote: »
    Very few of us, whether in the public or private sector, have supported an expense claim with receipts purporting to have been issued by a company which had ceased trading before the dates on the receipts . . .
    surely most people would just use an existing company receipt(all be it a doctored one). but that doesnt change the fact that the ordinary joe soap is paying more to support the already overpaid public/civil service

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

I expect it will be a slap-on-the-wrist fine or at most a suspended sentence. Just can't see him doing jail time. And even in the extremely unlikely event that he does, he'll still be able to pay someone to pick up the soap when he drops it.:):):)

• Advertisement

Glad to see the FFer locked up for the night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

And on the same day that 1.25 billion euro went into Anglo, I find that a little bit curious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

gizmo555 wrote: »
    surely most people would just use an existing company receipt(all be it a doctored one). but that doesnt change the fact that the ordinary joe soap is paying more to support the already overpaid public/civil service

If you have any evidence of public servants submitting expense claims based on fraudulent or doctored receipts, I hope that you'll report them - otherwise people might think that it's something you dreamed up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

He gets no sympathy for me . Isnt this the fellow that fiddled his expenses about the house in cork and got away with it

RichardAnd wrote: »
    And on the same day that 1.25 billion euro went into Anglo, I find that a little bit curious.

Im really not bothered if it coincides with a solar eclipse , or a 1.25 billion payoff.

Any day that a FFer ( who has questions to answer ) spends the night in jail is a good day for me.

The same goes for any party that was made up of perjurors, tax evaders, traitors, forgers, misrepresenters , thieves, and incompetents

RATM wrote: »
    Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't O'Dea swear an affidavit to a judge stating that he didn't defame the Sinn Fein councillors brother? (comments about him running a brothel in Limerick). Then the journalists tape came out which proved he did say the allegations. That's pretty much perjury in any book- he misled the courts and the judge.

There's a thing called 'discretion' that superintendents & the DPP have on deciding on whether or not to prosecute a case. They aren't required to tell the public why they are not pursuing the case, even when it is in the public interest to know. This is what happened, the usual FF corruption, nod and wink stuff.

In the case of Willie O'Dea they didn't prosecute because by that stage he had paid over €100k in damages (he has publicly admitted this), not because there wasn't enough evidence- there was plenty available to the DPP and the Gardai via the journalists tape. There just wasn't the political will by FF to prosecute a poll topping Minister / solicitor who perjured himself.

O'Dea bought his way out of the problem with the person he defamed but there is still the case of his perjury which would be a state led action - however in this country the DPP, senior Gardai and Judges are all political appointments and they weren't willing to bite the Fianna Fail hand that promoted them onto the gravy train in the first place. This is banana republic clientalism in its purest form- the people who protect the state are always beholden for their position to those who appointed them and will always protect their sponsors at any cost. Communist Russia thrived on the exact same system, not all that different to what still goes on here to be honest.

For a court to convict O'Dea of perjury it would have to be proven beyond doubt that he knowingly misled the court when he signed the affidavit. i.e. that he had full recollection of the comments he made about the councillors brother and his brothel and that he deliberately lied to the court in order to avoid the defamation charge.

After releasing the tape the journalist acknowledged that when he interviewed O'Dea he put the tape recorder "under his nose" . . i.e. the interview was openly and knowingly recorded.

If O'Dea committed perjury then he remembered the interview, remembered what he said, knew it had been taped (its not credible to believe that he would remember the detail about what he said but not remember the taping of it), but yet, knowing that a journalist had a tape that would contradict him he deliberately signed an affidavit denying his comments . .

Is it not more credible to believe that O'Dea made the comments, forgot he had made the comments, lied about the comments (unknowingly) and then got caught out when the tape surfaced . .

Still stupid, still lies, but not perjury . .

Personally, I think it is likely that the DPP didn't prosecute this case because he felt that he was unlikely to be able to prove perjury (for the reasons above) as opposed to some anti-FF conspiracy theory.

• Advertisement

For a court to convict O'Dea of perjury it would have to be proven beyond doubt that he knowingly misled the court when he signed the affidavit. i.e. that he had full recollection of the comments he made about the councillors brother and his brothel and that he deliberately lied to the court in order to avoid the defamation charge.

After releasing the tape the journalist acknowledged that when he interviewed O'Dea he put the tape recorder "under his nose" . . i.e. the interview was openly and knowingly recorded.

If O'Dea committed perjury then he remembered the interview, remembered what he said, knew it had been taped (its not credible to believe that he would remember the detail about what he said but not remember the taping of it), but yet, knowing that a journalist had a tape that would contradict him he deliberately signed an affidavit denying his comments . .

Is it not more credible to believe that O'Dea made the comments, forgot he had made the comments, lied about the comments (unknowingly) and then got caught out when the tape surfaced . .

Still stupid, still lies, but not perjury . .

Personally, I think it is likely that the DPP didn't prosecute this case because he felt that he was unlikely to be able to prove perjury (for the reasons above) as opposed to some anti-FF conspiracy theory.

Your objectivity seems to be clouded by your love of FF .

In any case this is about Ivor ....... the Willie o Dea " perjury or lies " debate has been played out already .

Your objectivity seems to be clouded by your love of FF .

In any case this is about Ivor ....... the Willie o Dea " perjury or lies " debate has been played out already .

You asked me to elaborate . . I did . .
    raymon wrote:
    What do you mean " in the legal sense "??? Have you become a barrister as well as a statistician ?? Please elaborate

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,533 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Glad to see the FFer locked up for the night.

Fortunately, he is no longer an FF member.

All of the alleged offences happened while he was in FF.

And I didn't claim otherwise - after it came to light his membership was revoked, which is the right thing to have happened. I would hope that procedure is followed in any case of financial fiddling - it has to be stamped out.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Surely he meets, if not exceeds, the standards expected by FF from their members?

And I didn't claim otherwise - after it came to light his membership was revoked, which is the right thing to have happened. I would hope that procedure is followed in any case of financial fiddling - it has to be stamped out.

While I agree completely with your second statement, the first one is inaccurate

Callely was suspended without prejudice. But only when he refused to speak to Biffo on the phone.

He then resigned from the party himself

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Wider Road

Like a certain Mr Lowry!
    Any updates on his case?

While I agree completely with your second statement, the first one is inaccurate

Callely was suspended without prejudice. But only when he refused to speak to Biffo on the phone.

He then resigned from the party himself

A case of him jumping before he was pushed, either way he is no longer a member.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 28 wanlabanchang

Fair play

Well he has been released from custody and a file has been sent to the DPP. Will be interesting to see if a prosecution is sought, it will look very bad if that is not the case.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 27 joethatoom

No one wealthy ever gets 'properly' arrested:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭paddydriver

"His solicitor Noel O'Hanrahan read out a short statement saying that Mr Callely was completely and totally innocent of any wrongdoing."

But did he not already admit he put in incorrect expenses?

So a file gone to the DPP... Guess we will never hear anything more about that as it enters the great unknown of the DPP. :rolleyes:

As I said , I have zero confidence that he or bertie will ever see the inside of a jail cell .. except for the one last night.

Wait and see this being quashed on some technicality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭UglyBolloxFace

Is no-one else suspicious about the day he was arrested? Think about it - on the day the Government pay out over 1 Billion Euro to Anglo bondholders, this cretin is arrested.

Open your mind - he could have been arrested anytime, but no, he was arrested on the day that the huge bondholder payment was made. This has the result of making it to the headlines of the news, instead of the bondholder payment. The Government is manipulating us.

**** this country; I'm glad I got out of it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement