Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox 720 is Coming. November 2013

Options
  • 25-01-2012 2:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 83,333 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/01/24/xbox-720-will-be-six-times-as-powerful-as-current-gen
    The next Xbox will ship to retailers in late October or early November of next year with six times the processing power of the Xbox 360, sources close to the project have told IGN.

Following initial reports from tech blogs Fudzilla and SemiAccurate, our sources have confirmed that mass production of the system's GPU will indeed begin by the end of 2012 but will not, however, be based on AMD's 7000 series Southern Islands GPU. Instead, the processor will be derived from the 6000 series, which was introduced last year. More specifically, it will be akin to the Radeon HD 6670, which offers support for DirectX11, multidisplay output, 3D and 1080p HD output. The chip currently has a market price of upwards of $79.99.

In real terms, the Xbox 720's raw graphics processing power is expected to be six times that of the Xbox 360 and will yield 20-percent greater performance than Nintendo's forthcoming console, the Wii U.

Developers are likely to receive development kits based on the system's final configuration in August. Projected pricing for the console was not provided.

Reported from inside sources and carried by IGN I'd say this information is Legit. It's supposed to be 6 times as powerful - no sh*t. The specification for the 360 is ancient by hardware standards. Good for them.

Speculate on it's price? I'm going with upward of $600.

Either way it's a welcome relief for PC gamers: Developers will finally get their fascination with DX9 over with.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

Sounds savage! I'm starting to think about making the switch to PC gaming, but think I'll hold out until these come out and see how they compare to similarily-priced desktops. Can't wait to see what sort of games will be out on these!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭Garseys

i think the RRP will be competitive enough... I'm gonna go with about 400 on release.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Shakeyspears

Apparently, they are going to have a DVR built into the system for recording tv or even gameplay. I'm going to start saving now....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Sounds savage! I'm starting to think about making the switch to PC gaming, but think I'll hold out until these come out and see how they compare to similarily-priced desktops. Can't wait to see what sort of games will be out on these!

Call of Honour: Modern Battlefield White Ops, with Strike at Nuke Village in Space with roaming Zombies DLC sold separately.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

I really hope it isn't ACTUALLY called Xbox 720.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Overheal wrote: »
    http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/01/24/xbox-720-will-be-six-times-as-powerful-as-current-gen

Reported from inside sources and carried by IGN I'd say this information is Legit. It's supposed to be 6 times as powerful - no sh*t. The specification for the 360 is ancient by hardware standards. Good for them.

Speculate on it's price? I'm going with upward of $600.

Either way it's a welcome relief for PC gamers: Developers will finally get their fascination with DX9 over with.

600 dollars?
    I guess we can put the "console game is so much cheaper than pc gaming" to rest for a couple of years then

• Registered Users Posts: 83,333 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Apparently, they are going to have a DVR built into the system for recording tv or even gameplay. I'm going to start saving now....
    Maybe. The functionality is installed into Windows 7 as a footnote. All you need is the TV input and Windows Media Center handles the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,333 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

600 dollars?
    I guess we can put the "console game is so much cheaper than pc gaming" to rest for a couple of years then
    Spitballing. If it followed the same release as the 360 and account for inflation the system would be $450 and the core unit would be $350.

I'd actually prefer they made the systems more expensive so they did more, but the hell do I know.

Another thing to consider is the cost of HDD media right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

600$ for ati 6670.... ouch...

okay, so it will be 6 times more powerfull then xbox 360, but its still going to be laughable compared to PC standarts.

this is very rough way to compare:

this is the current GPU in new PC compared to 6670

http://www.hwcompare.com/10684/geforce-gtx-570-vs-radeon-hd-6670-oem/

not this is GPU that is in my 5+ year old machine. GPU was updated for 170eu last summer

http://www.hwcompare.com/10709/radeon-hd-6670-oem-vs-radeon-hd-6870/

now i dont want to start a PC vs console war, i just want to show a non pc crowd and people who dont know much about PC components what does it mean. they say it will be 6 times more powerful then xbox, but in reality its still very old technology.

yes, they will use the power on console more efficient, but still it wont beat current gaming gpus on pc. :( we are talking about almost 1.5 years untill release and there will even faster GPUs out and current ones will be even cheaper. what will happen 1-2 years in to console cycle?

i had hopes that next gen consoles will bring it more to PC level of performance so the gap would be smaller, unfortunately they are doing same thing they did with xbox 360. :( . it will mean that i will be sticking with my good old pc gaming for way longer then expected.

now please dont understand it as some attack VS consoles! i am not making fanboism war! just trying to show bigger picture! and yes, PCs have their own dissatvantages too bla bla bla!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭McGrath5

My general feeling towards the rumoured next gen consoles is very meh.
    This will probably force Sony into releasing the next generation of Playstation console earlier then they would like too. meh.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

A current mid range ($100) graphics card seems a slightly odd choice, considering the XBox360 launched with the equivelant of an ultra high end card (~ $400+ ATI X1900XT)?

marco_polo wrote: »
    A current mid range ($100) graphics card seems a slightly odd choice, considering the XBox360 launched with the equivelant of an ultra high end card (~ $400+ ATI X1900XT)?

good, i am not the only one so.

the choice of GPU makes me wonder... i could even go as far as saying: its trolling...

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭aperture_nuig

If this is true, I honestly don't see why it means Sony have to rush out the ps4? How does the purported 720 gpu compare with the PS3's current hardware?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Looks to be impressive hardware. But I've never really gelled with the xbox, so it won't be for me :) I don't think this will pressure Sony, sure they'll have learnt their lesson after the disaster of the PS3 launch, I think they'll take their time. PS3 still has a lot of power to squeeze.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

A bit odd all right, never had a good enough PC to play modern games but if this thing is going to be a couple of years behind PC's on release and cost nearly as much then there's not much incentive to buy one. It'd be far smarter to pay slightly more for a PC and get a machine that can do far more

At least it'll finally push forward better graphics and engines which have been pretty much stagnant for the past 5 years

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

It's not fair to compare that video card in a PC to how it'll perform on an XBox. The console will have streamlined specific drivers written for it and should squeeze way more performance out of it than a PC would. Even now, with very old tech, the graphics on the 360 are far from bad.

An "older" card like this should help keep the price down too.

They just need to make sure the thing is quiet and cool - the noise and RROD of the older 360's were far from acceptable.

cloud493 wrote: »
    Looks to be impressive hardware. But I've never really gelled with the xbox, so it won't be for me :) I don't think this will pressure Sony, sure they'll have learnt their lesson after the disaster of the PS3 launch, I think they'll take their time. PS3 still has a lot of power to squeeze.

well problem is, that hardware does not look impresive, it looks really horrible.

the only thing that makes it look great: "6 times faster then old xbox 360" which in real world means **** all, unless you show numbers and can prove it.

old xbox was built around 7800 and if you make a card 6x7800, then it will be a beast and not 6670 mid range GPU that is not even recomended to play games on...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

That GPU is very underpowered if it is true. I'm really in no rush for the next generation of hardware though although I believe hardware gets killed off far too quickly.

Sony got stung with the Cell CPU last time around so you can be pretty sure that when the PS4 comes along it too will be based on off the shelf PC parts.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Shiminay wrote: »
    It's not fair to compare that video card in a PC to how it'll perform on an XBox. The console will have streamlined specific drivers written for it and should squeeze way more performance out of it than a PC would. Even now, with very old tech, the graphics on the 360 are far from bad.

An "older" card like this should help keep the price down too.

They just need to make sure the thing is quiet and cool - the noise and RROD of the older 360's were far from acceptable.

All of that is absolutely true but starting from a much lower relative hardware baseline I just don't see how it could have anything remotely approaching the longevity of the current incarnation.

right so far i checked few benchmarks and this is just an rough look:

they want squize out the power out of 6670 to be as high as gtx590*

*xbox360 gpu ( rumored to be around nvidia 7800 ) x 6 will bring it up to gtx590

no matter what freaking drivers you will make you cant make mid range 6670 to perform like dual gpu high end current gen card...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Stevo105

Services like OnLive.com will be the death of the Consoles. No physical media to worry about or losing business to trade-ins or out of date hardware in 6 months.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0gA8MUMQak&feature=player_embedded

EDIT: its in its early stages right now. But by the time the next PS/XBOX is release more services like this will be available. But if you can afford 400-600 euro get a PC which has 1000's of free games and AAA game titles for under 20 euro... User created MODS...the list goes on.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

If this is true, I honestly don't see why it means Sony have to rush out the ps4? How does the purported 720 gpu compare with the PS3's current hardware?
    Given that the current 360 GPU outperforms the PS3 one, I'd imagine the 720 version will compare quite well.

With regards the proposed GPU, well it's not as bad as it's made out to be for a number of reason:

1) Well the basic point, it's not finalised at all yet. Given the changes that took place in the 360 dev kits from when they were first sent out to studios to when they were released I'd say there'll be some considerable changes to come.

2) If the 720 GPU design is anything like the 360 GPU design then it will not, under any circumstances, be a straight comparison between the desktop and console parts. Not only did the Xenos chip, despite its relation to AMD's R520 family, feature functionality not seen until the later DX10 desktop parts arrvied but the presence of the eDRAM on the chip completely changed the preformance profile of the part when compared to said desktop equivalents.

3) What will the Xbox 720 actually be targetting resolution wise? It'll be 1080p, not some of the higher resolutions currently sported by many PCs. If the console can pull off 1080p @ 60fps with various full screen effects such as AA and Anisotropic filtering at a general graphics quality that is somewhere around the X6 mark of the current gen then I think we'd be onto a winner.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'd put money on games still running at 720p and 30 FPS. The trade off of performance to visuals is too great.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,128 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

I wish people would stop calling it the Xbox 720 and just call it the next xbox, since its pretty much guaranteed they wont be calling it that since its simply a stupid naming convention that they need to not lock themselves into

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

This is all rumour right now, but I can't imagine they will stick with that GPU, if we are looking at a lateish 2013 rlease. We may see something similar to what happened with the 360.

Stevo105 wrote: »
    Services like OnLive.com will be the death of the Consoles. No physical media to worry about or losing business to trade-ins or out of date hardware in 6 months.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0gA8MUMQak&feature=player_embedded

EDIT: its in its early stages right now. But by the time the next PS/XBOX is release more services like this will be available. But if you can afford 400-600 euro get a PC which has 1000's of free games and AAA game titles for under 20 euro... User created MODS...the list goes on.

just as you said that i went and tried it out myself for ****s and giggles.

its deffenetly not for irish boradband. i got 10mbit stable connection and it was impossible to play bioshock. input lag was very bad. i had play on very low resolution which made everything look very very bad. :(

i am impressed by technology, but i really dont think it will make consoles and gaming pcs go away in near future.

on the bright side: i got a perfect platform to demo games i want to buy. 30 min trial can be abused as ****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I'd put money on games still running at 720p and 30 FPS. The trade off of performance to visuals is too great.

I'd be very surprised at that. 1080p @ 60 should be the baseline of next gen hardware. I'd echo some of the above & say it won't be a direct comparison between pc & console parts. At any rate, why have it overpowered? All that'll do is generate excess heat...& the jump in visuals isn't nearly as great as we've seen with previous generational jumps.

If the specs allow it to run next gen software, at 1080p & 60fps...anything else is a waste. MS know what they're at, the PS3 was so overcomplicated, it took years for devs to get to grips. This way, the next Xbox could hit the ground running

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    In that case it would (or at least should ;)) be a trade off between 1080p@30 versus 1080p@60 depending on the complexity of the game/scene/graphics. The only thing I can see holding that up are the rather depressing figures I saw awhile back for the number of people running the current generation consoles on not only SD TVs but SD 4:3 TVs. :(

Regarding the cost of the actual GPU by the way, according to the iSuppli teardown of the 360 back in 2005, the Xenos part accounted for $141 out of the overal $341 cost per console. So I'd regard the $600 price tag guessed by some users to be way off the mark based on any info we have at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Twilightning

It looks like the "upgrade every 2 minutes" **** consoleplayers like to use as a negative point against PC gaming is out the window with this startling revelation. I think I'll be good with my 6970 until 2020 at the rate consoles are evolving.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

marco_polo wrote: »

And a sheeeeeeet load of RROD :) ... I would imagine they dont want a repeat of this and want a tried and tested video card that does what they want it to

They don't need a video card that can make your breakfast and travel faster than a concorde.... It's too much to power and would only be a repeat of 360 Launch consoles

Advertisement