Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox 720 is Coming. November 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83,333 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I feel like Someone drained all the fluid from my head, my hearing went dead, and all that was left was green vectors, everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Overheal wrote: »
    I feel like Someone drained all the fluid from my head, my hearing went dead, and all that was left was green vectors, everywhere.
    Have...have you not played Battlezone '98? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

So... Wii u or wtf it's called is out this Xmas, Xbox next year... What will Sony do?

Let's face it, current gen consoles are quite unique. Very long Lifespam, market devided prey much even ( Sony vs Xbox ). Bouth hardware is very similar in its performance.

So I am wondering if Sony will even need to beat Xbox hardware and be more powerfull? Or they can just match it? All games are going multiplatform now anyway. I doubt developers will want very different hardwares to work on.

I am really interested what will Sony show us.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

gizmo wrote: »

I'm pretty sure I haven't. I was reminiscing about older-school Battlezone:

Atari_BattleZone_Screenshot.png

I have played Incoming! though which looks like it would bear some remote resemblance to BZ98. In fact looking at the release of both titles I think Incoming is the reason I never caught on the BZ98, nor would I have much cared. Incoming was amazing, especially if you had the Sidewinder joystick. You could pilot one of those alien fighters to fly backwards an upside down at a crawl if you wanted to.

Incoming_Arcade.jpg

There were plenty of tank missions in it, and helicopter ones too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Jesus remember all the hype about incoming and the voodoo 2 graphics card I think it was

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Helix wrote: »
    Jesus remember all the hype about incoming and the voodoo 2 graphics card I think it was

I remember when I first got a Voodoo 3200, the difference in Half Life 1 boggled the mind :D

Ohhhhhhhhh wait. I did. It was good, but not I preferred incoming.

This title also reminded me a lot of Uprising: Join or Die. Which is EPIC. Find yourself a copy.

Citadel. at: Jay. One. is under attack.

Hang on weren't we talking about New video games? :P

I'm pretty sure I haven't. I was reminiscing about older-school Battlezone:

I have played Incoming! though which looks like it would bear some remote resemblance to BZ98. In fact looking at the release of both titles I think Incoming is the reason I never caught on the BZ98, nor would I have much cared. Incoming was amazing, especially if you had the Sidewinder joystick. You could pilot one of those alien fighters to fly backwards an upside down at a crawl if you wanted to.

There were plenty of tank missions in it, and helicopter ones too.
    You monster! Battlezone '98 wasn't just a straight up action game like Incoming though, it had base building and resource management all of which had to be done while piloting a tank on the battlefield. It was, and still is imo, utterly awesome and a perfect example of PC gaming at its finest.
    Indeed. Between Incoming and Expendable, Rage were the pioneers of explosive 3Dfx pyrotechnics back in the late 90s. Such a shame how they ended up. :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Tbh I'm expecting games to be a relatively minor part of the next Xbox.

One of the main things for it will be to make it a home media hub, blu-ray, movies, pitcures, music, will all be an important of what it will do.

The other main thing will be apps. I think the marketplace will become a huge part of Xbox, filled with phone/tablet style apps (and of course casual games, angry birds, cut the rope etc), and Kinect as the controller will be a huge part of that. When they start demoing this, watch for some really impressive demoes of using Kinect to browse Facebook, Twitter, email, make Skype calls, play mini-games, and lots of other other app-y stuff.

And then there'll be games too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

The only thing i find impressive about kinect is how incredibly gay they make the user look.

I really hope sony concentrate on GAMING and not gimmick features like kinect.

Magill wrote: »
    The only thing i find impressive about kinect is how incredibly gay they make the user look.

I really hope sony concentrate on GAMING and not gimmick features like kinect.

all that motion control bull**** hold back evolution of consoles and hardware by good 2 years... i wish nintendo would newer ever come up with this crap that will be forgotten very soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Aye, bloody nintendo.

Motion controls held back jack ****. The Wii was both unveiled and released after the 360 and PS3 and we wouldn't have had a new console generation any sooner had it not existed.
    stevenmu wrote: »
    Tbh I'm expecting games to be a relatively minor part of the next Xbox.

One of the main things for it will be to make it a home media hub, blu-ray, movies, pitcures, music, will all be an important of what it will do.

The other main thing will be apps. I think the marketplace will become a huge part of Xbox, filled with phone/tablet style apps (and of course casual games, angry birds, cut the rope etc), and Kinect as the controller will be a huge part of that. When they start demoing this, watch for some really impressive demoes of using Kinect to browse Facebook, Twitter, email, make Skype calls, play mini-games, and lots of other other app-y stuff.

And then there'll be games too.
    As for this, well if MS were to go the dual SKU approach mentioned earlier in the thread then this would be the primary type of functionality we'd see in the set-top box version. There is no chance of the core model concentrating on this route though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

all that motion control bull**** hold back evolution of consoles and hardware by good 2 years... i wish nintendo would newer ever come up with this crap that will be forgotten very soon.

I doubt its down to motion control that the consoles were held back. They were alluding to longer consoler generations when the current ones launched and they keep getting more and more expensive to design and build so its not surprising this is one of the longer generations of consoles.

You monster! Battlezone '98 wasn't just a straight up action game like Incoming though, it had base building and resource management all of which had to be done while piloting a tank on the battlefield. It was, and still is imo, utterly awesome and a perfect example of PC gaming at its finest.
    Thats why I suggested Uprising! Gosh! :pac:

Thats why I suggested Uprising! Gosh! :pac:
    Battlezone > Uprising.

Deal with it. :cool:

(Don't get me started with Hostile Waters. :pac: )

Motion controls held back jack ****. The Wii was both unveiled and released after the 360 and PS3 and we wouldn't have had a new console generation any sooner had it not existed.

As for this, well if MS were to go the dual SKU approach mentioned earlier in the thread then this would be the primary type of functionality we'd see in the set-top box version. There is no chance of the core model concentrating on this route though.

D'oh!

When wii launched it was such a hot thing so everyone jumped the motion control ship. Ms and Sony wanted some of this new craze to be exploited so they just rushed in theyr alternatives with motion control. There are lots of kinects and moves sold and still **** all software for it. It's gimmick, fast cash in on novelty. And setback.
    So instead of working on next thing, they were relocated to work out those kinects and moves.

I'm not sure if motion controls can be blamed for holding back console development, but man, they're utter drivel. Unless you love pet simulations.

I'm not sure how they felt for Child Of Eden etc, but at least on the Wii, there are games that are screaming out for an actual gaming controller. And not the classic controller thingy

• Advertisement

EnterNow wrote: »
    I'm not sure if motion controls can be blamed for holding back console development, but man, they're utter drivel. Unless you love pet simulations.

I'm not sure how they felt for Child Of Eden etc, but at least on the Wii, there are games that are screaming out for an actual gaming controller. And not the classic controller thingy

well, i am not saying it alone, but it defenetly helped to slow down development of next gen consoles. FACT!

well, i am not saying it alone, but it defenetly helped to slow down development of next gen consoles. FACT!
    It's not fact. In actuality, it's the complete opposite of fact. Fiction, you might say.

No one would have been "moved off" or "relocated" onto the Natal/Kinect team who would have been working on the other technologies behind the next generation of consoles. In fact, most of the technical work was done by outside companies who MS either acquired or licenced technology from. The rest of the tech was in development at Microsoft Research which is completely seperate from their games division. Not only that, but even internally they went on numerous hiring sprees specifically for the project over the course of its development. From the software perspective, even Rare, who are now one of the main internal Kinect studios had moved away from their previous core titles before the Kinect project was formed.

So once again, no, it did not slow down the development of the next generation of consoles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

the development of next gen consoles started before the last gen hit shelves

the development of next gen consoles started before the last gen hit shelves

I'd second that. In fact, I wouldn't be at all surprised if the Xbox 9999 & PS5 are already on white boards deep in some underground R&D labs

Though they spent a lot of time on current gen redesigns, which is why the generation lasted as long as it did. If we were left with launch models the 360 would have died in about 2008 from persistent RROD

Though they spent a lot of time on current gen redesigns, which is why the generation lasted as long as it did. If we were left with launch models the 360 would have died in about 2008 from persistent RROD

There's not that many 60GB Phat PS3's around either though ;)

There's not that many 60GB Phat PS3's around either though ;)

i still got one and love it.

ps1 -check
    ps2 -check
    ps3 -check
    extra usb -check
    card reader -check
    looks -check :D

i still got one and love it.

ps1 -check
    ps2 -check
    ps3 -check
    extra usb -check
    card reader -check
    looks -check :D

Ironically, I still have a launch model myself. But every time I turn it on, I feel like I'm starting a classic car, hoping it doesn't grind to a halt :o

Ironically, I still have a launch model myself. But every time I turn it on, I feel like I'm starting a classic car, hoping it doesn't grind to a halt :o

with amount of use i do on it, it will last me till ps5 :D

• Advertisement

with amount of use i do on it, it will last me till ps5 :D

I keep meaning to put proper thermal paste in it, rather than the Lidl brand Sony used at manufacturing level. Also the fan mod. If the fans ran a bit faster, it'd do the system a ton of good. Given it's a launch model, I can put up with added fan noise for the sake of keeping it cooler.

I'm quite interested in seeing how the new consoles deal with the additional heat they'll produce. I know they'll likely be a lot more efficient though so maybe it's not such a big ask

Advertisement