Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox 720 is Coming. November 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

I'd lament the almost inevitable death of my 60GB more were it not for the fact that almost every game from the PS2 era that I want to play/replay either has or is getting a HD re-release soon. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

gizmo wrote: »
    I'd lament the almost inevitable death of my 60GB more were it not for the fact that almost every game from the PS2 era that I want to play/replay either has or is getting a HD re-release soon. :o

Cool, you can buy them all over again :p I jest, I know a HD remake constitutes a purchase of sorts.

EnterNow wrote: »
    Cool, you can buy them all over again :p I jest, I know a HD remake constitutes a purchase of sorts.
    I fully intend to unfortunately. :(

All that's left is to find a suitable home for the PS2 versions, probably just put the full set up on ebay or something and see if there are any takers.

I fully intend to unfortunately. :(

All that's left is to find a suitable home for the PS2 versions, probably just put the full set up on ebay or something and see if there are any takers.

I'd reserve judgement on moving on the originals until you've played the remakes. Sometimes all doesn't go well. I've played a few remakes that had dynamical differences, & ended up preferring the originals. Worst case, you can shove them on on me & I'll worry about what to do with them :p

I'd reserve judgement on moving on the originals until you've played the remakes. Sometimes all doesn't go well. I've played a few remakes that had dynamical differences, & ended up preferring the originals. Worst case, you can shove them on on me & I'll worry about what to do with them :p
    Heh, well I'll bear it in mind. As it happens the remakes are all big Sony properties (read: not Capcom games) so I'd imagine they'll all be handled with care. Either way, it's not like I'm in a massive rush, I've managed to wait this long to play them so I'm sure I can wait for some reviews. :)

Anyway, yea so how about that new Xbox...

• Advertisement

Anyway, yea so how about that new Xbox...

The 720 they say :D

Here's to hopefully some great gaming on it, regardless of the specs. I don't think there's much more to say on it until we have some new rumours to argue over :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

The 720 they say :D

Here's to hopefully some great gaming on it, regardless of the specs. I don't think there's much more to say on it until we have some new rumours to argue over :)

i heard it has built in toaster and jam jar inside. if you got diamond subscription, then a microsoft man will top up jam jar every week. unfortunately you will need to get your own butter :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭pljudge321

I wonder how much RAM it will have?

tree fiddy?

tree fiddy?

Would be a decent amount :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

tree fiddy?

dont be stupid... its a high tech equipment.

i am pretty sure it will have 5 million mb of ram. anything under 2 million is nintendos level!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

The main thing i want in the new console is something that I've wanted for a long long time. Provided it didnt make the console stupidly large, i want to see a multi-disk changer, that's all, i would be a happy lazy man. Over to you MS

theteal wrote: »
    The main thing i want in the new console is something that I've wanted for a long long time. Provided it didnt make the console stupidly large, i want to see a multi-disk changer, that's all, i would be a happy lazy man. Over to you MS

It's make the console too large, fragile & expensive. Lasers & drives already have brutal life-spans as it is

theteal wrote: »

dont be stupid... its a high tech equipment.

i am pretty sure it will have 5 million mb of ram. anything under 2 million is nintendos level!

5 terabytes of ram may be stretching the bounds of reasonable expectation just a tad.

pljudge321 wrote: »
    5 terabytes of ram may be stretching the bounds of reasonable expectation just a tad.

He said bits though :D

He said bits though :D

625 GB then :p

pljudge321 wrote: »
    625 GB then :p
    Nah, that's the amount of memory it has, not RAM.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

its powered by sheep :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

If it's true, it's terrible news to be honest.

With consoles leading the way in profits and seemingly innovation/gaming development they should be cutting edge on release, striving to reach new ground like launching DX12, improved shader models etc. A new console should blow you away. The average lifespan is >5 years, the hardware gets bled dry and game engines get optimised to hell towards the end but they're all still restricted to the hardware that came out on launch day and I'm sorry but an ATI 6670 just doesn't cut it, at this rate it'll still have a HD-DVD drive

As an aside, Overheal's comment about developers fascination with DX9 is yet another point for mindblowing hardware - the restrictions of console hardware (not updateable, must be backwards compatible) mean that by 2016/2017 we'll see the same situation again, developers raping DX11 for all they can get out of it while any decent, innovative development company really wanted to make waves they'd be using DX13, and probably developing for the PC.

Any time I see the folder "CookedPC" inside a PC game folder I die a little inside.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I laughed hard when i heard they are putting a 5 year old GPU into it.
    For God sake the ps3 and 360 are pre-historic at this stage.
    Any new console should be close to cutting edge but those specs are laughable at best.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,332 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

So what why do people think the ps4 will go since the new xbox isn't going to be so cutting edge?

PerrinV2 wrote: »
    So what why do people think the ps4 will go since the new xbox isn't going to be so cutting edge?

Looking at the current generations sales figures, the PS3 could be considered the most powerful, & yet, has sold the least of the three [though it's more or less on par with 360 sales now I think].

The Wii, easily the most underpowered of the lot, trounced them by a factor of x2.

What does this tell us? Timing of introduction, & innovative selling points are the real winners. If the PS4 is last out of the shed again, it's not going to matter how powerful it is...it'll be disadvantaged straight away.

With consoles leading the way in profits and seemingly innovation/gaming development they should be cutting edge on release, striving to reach new ground like launching DX12, improved shader models etc. A new console should blow you away. The average lifespan is >5 years, the hardware gets bled dry and game engines get optimised to hell towards the end but they're all still restricted to the hardware that came out on launch day and I'm sorry but an ATI 6670 just doesn't cut it, at this rate it'll still have a HD-DVD drive
    Releasing a new console with a new version of an API like DirectX would be utter lunacy from a development perspective. Aside from this, we don't even need a new version of DirectX anytime soon so rolling one out just so it can coincide with the release of a new console would make little sense either. As for the preformance profile of the proposed part in general, this has been dealt with in a few posts earlier in the thread so I'd advise going back and reading them.
    Any time I see the folder "CookedPC" inside a PC game folder I die a little inside.
    Why on earth would that bother you? :confused:
    Looking at the current generations sales figures, the PS3 could be considered the most powerful, & yet, has sold the least of the three [though it's more or less on par with 360 sales now I think].

The Wii, easily the most underpowered of the lot, trounced them by a factor of x2.

What does this tell us? Timing of introduction, & innovative selling points are the real winners. If the PS4 is last out of the shed again, it's not going to matter how powerful it is...it'll be disadvantaged straight away.
    Don't forget launch price and (initial) library of high profile games. :)

The power of the console has really nothing to do with its success, as one poster in another thread has remarked, when was the last time the most powerful console was also the most popular?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

And never forget exclusives.

Zelda, Metroid & Mario sell a lot of consoles.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Seanie06

I think Microsoft is rushing it's next console. The 360 is great at the moment. 2011 was a stellar year for the Xbox. They should delay until 2014 and be in a position to put better hardware into a new system!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

And never forget exclusives.

Zelda, Metroid & Mario sell a lot of consoles.

AFAIK these companies aim to make money more from selling software than hardware. It's one thing to achieve the highest userbase, another to shift the most games.

Unlike Sony and Microsoft, Nintendo can't afford to sell consoles at a loss, hence they release less powerful hardware like the Wii, Wii U, and 3DS - a major barrier to adding multiformat titles to those exclusives. While Mario et al are great titles, it's a shame they weren't complemented by the likes of Red Dead Redemption, Mass Effect, and Arkham City!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Seanie06 wrote: »
    I think Microsoft is rushing it's next console. The 360 is great at the moment. 2011 was a stellar year for the Xbox. They should delay until 2014 and be in a position to put better hardware into a new system!!
    They can wait and wait but there will never be a good time really. PC technology (which the consoles are based on) move along every 6 - 8 months. Consoles will always be out of date by PC standards, it's impossible for them to keep up.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭ Anderson Quick Orange

this is very unlikely also the reason the xbox is called the 360 is because it has 360 degree connectivity ie the intention was for it to be abel to connect to any media device in your house so 720 makes no sense at all

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

this is very unlikely also the reason the xbox is called the 360 is because it has 360 degree connectivity ie the intention was for it to be abel to connect to any media device in your house so 720 makes no sense at all

It's called the Xbox 360 because they didn't want the Xbox 2 going up against the Playstation 3.

Advertisement