Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox 720 is Coming. November 2013

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Twilightning

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭satchmo

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    As far as I remember Cell was very disappointing performance wise since x86 and power PC architecture went multicore and were able to keep.
    Quite the opposite - Cell was a blazingly fast processor compared to the competition thanks to the SPUs. The main perceived problems were ease of use due to the architecture being quite different to what programmers were used to. A lot of programmers were (and still are) trying to get to grips with multi-threaded programming itself, so adding in DMA transfers, local stores and the like was a bit too much for some people.

That, and it's very easy to do very bad things with the SPUs and DMA transfers if you're careless due to the low-level hardware access, which made developments even more difficult. Most studios have come to grips with it now though, and I'd say another Cell in the next PlayStation wouldn't be as big a deal. That's pretty unlikely though, as Gizmo said.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,333 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Megadrive used a 68000 which is why there was so many Amiga ports since it was the same thing. The SNES used a 65c816 which was based on and used the same instruction set as the 6502 based chip used in the famicom so that it could be backwards compatible, although that never appeared in the final version. It why there was so much slow down on the SNES because the CPU was a piece of ****. There was no GPU's back in those days, video processing units would be more correct and their job was to create the framebuffer and organise how it was created. There wasn't a GPU until the Super FX chip in Starfox. And yes I did know that back in the day, doesn't mean they weren't made from or based on off the shelf parts.

As for the Famicom/NES, released in 1983, SNES was released in 1990 and it had a shelf life well into 1994.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

o1s1n wrote: »
    'The few games'? What are you on about?

People are terrible at remembering the past accurately, it's called rose-tinted glasses or optimism bias. Everyone suffers from it.

Try not to be too alarmed.
    You do realize the videogame market has been huge for decades? It's not a modern invention.

The "16-bit era" started roughly twenty years ago,you know, the same era that was being lauded as containing "truly groundbreaking " games.
    Do try and keep up.
    I suppose you also think that the modern film market obviously can't be compared to the 'few films' which have managed to stick in your head over the last 20 years.

Obviously.

But if you've not pieced it together already, people have a romanticised idea of the past and how awesome it was, filtering out all the rubbish and hyping up whatever they managed to remember.
    Everybody does it, or to put it another way everything was better when you were twelve
    Gaming in the 90's was just as "bad" as it is now. No matter what people like to tell themselves.

Now, hopefully after spelling this out, I'll never have to respond to such a breathtakingly stupefying post ever again.
    But I doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Now, hopefully after spelling this out, I'll never have to respond to such a breathtakingly stupefying post ever again.
    But I doubt it.

I could infract you for being a dick (because lets face it, you're being a dick). I'm in a good mood today, so lets just call this a pre-infraction warning. The next time you go off on someone like that, you'll be getting a red card.

Tone it down, please. That's all I ask.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Gaming in the 90's was just as "bad" as it is now. No matter what people like to tell themselves.

If it wasn't how would the Angry Videogame Nerd make such hugely funny videos.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

gizmo wrote: »
    This may be quite difficult given that Cell development was cancelled back in 2009. The platform doesn't allow you to just throw more SPUs at the PPE, in fact, the sucessor to the current iteration was meant to feature two PPEs and 32 SPEs. As for what they'll do in light of this? Could be based on IBMs POWER7/8 or could be something totally different, who knows at this stage.
    Oh yeah, I'd forgotten they cancelled the development. It'll be interesting to see what they come out with so. Building a new set of developer tools will take a long time, and take developers time to get used to. Microsoft's tool set will no doubt be heavily based on what developers are already used to, making both development of the console much quicker easier, and making developing the first wave of games quicker and easier. Microsoft could get a huge jump on Sony again this time around.

Another idea I had, with Windows 8 having an ARM version, what are the chances that the next XBox will be a fully fledged Windows 8 ARM machine as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,072 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Man, all this tech talk is going way over my head. I just want it to be awesome!

How-to-be-awesome.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

Mr E wrote: »
    I could infract you for being a dick (because lets face it, you're being a dick). I'm in a good mood today, so lets just call this a pre-infraction warning. The next time you go off on someone like that, you'll be getting a red card.

Tone it down, please. That's all I ask.

If you're going to "ban" me for actually playing by the rule of "attack the post not the poster" then go for it.

Be my guest.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

There's also a section in the charter for inciting flamewars. There's far better and more intelligent ways of disagreeing with someones post than telling them the post is stupid. That's hardly constructive.

Back on topic please.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Also, if it can output to 2 screens each with 3d we could have local 4-player fullscreen multiplayer. :D :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

amacachi wrote: »
    Also, if it can output to 2 screens each with 3d we could have local 4-player fullscreen multiplayer. :D :pac:
    That's a resolution of 3840 x 1080, I think it'll have enough trouble keeping up with standard HD.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

ScumLord wrote: »
    That's a resolution of 3840 x 1080, I think it'll have enough trouble keeping up with standard HD.
    Actually in terms of power, the amount required to display 3840x1080 differs wildly to what would be required for two 1080p 3D displays. Long story short, it ain't happening. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

touchscreen controller :confused:
    The next Xbox will include a high-definition touchscreen controller. That's the contention made by Xbox World Magazine in their latest issue.

The form factor of the controller will be more akin to the PS Vita than the Wii U's larger, "bulky unit" writes XWM. It'll be "an HD screen surrounded by the traditional 360 buttons and sticks."

Some more background: "That touchscreen will be second only to Kinect in how you operate your console. It could be a remote control when you're watching TV, a browser when you're on the internet, extra buttons and information when you're playing a game or a portable display when you want to take your game with you."

If that last bit sounds familiar, it's because Sony is turning a similar trick with its Vita and PS3 'Cross Play' functionality, as is the Wii U, though to a lesser extent. There's been much talk of the lead the Xbox has in terms of being an entertainment hub and that sentiment seems to carry through here.

The magazine goes on to offer more specifics, writing the console "will be a matt-black media hub with a mission to bring games to life in your living room with augmented reality, directional sound, and a four-player, finger-tracking Kinect."

As far as pricing goes, "Microsoft are playing it safe with the CPU and GPU but running wild with the functions that will change how you play, but it won't be cheap." A price of over $600 was speculated upon in the article.

These reports fall in line with some rumors offered by Gamespot last month.

Thanks to Eurogamer, CVG.

all dreamcast rip offs, if you ask me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Completionist

Screens in controllers, Built in Kinect(?) and "play it safe" performance for a price tag of $600? No thanks.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I can't see that controller story being true. It would bump up the price way too much.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I can't see that controller story being true. It would bump up the price way too much.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I could see it being true. MS lost out on that casual market by not having motion controls until way too late. They'll be playing catch up with whatever Nintendo are doing so as not to make the same mistake again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Can Kinect not fugg off like? In fact, can all motion controllers just fugg off? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

EnterNow wrote: »
    Can Kinect not fugg off like? In fact, can all motion controllers just fugg off? :D

to be fair they dont really affect non casual gamers for the most part

let them have them

• Advertisement

Helix wrote: »
    to be fair they dont really affect non casual gamers for the most part

let them have them

I agree, as long as it doesn't force itself on us. It looks like its mandatory Kinect v2 though for the next Xbox...

I wouldn't mind, but the vast majority of motion controlled games are gimmick riddled shovelware. Not all, but most. Skyward Sword, I thank you for showing that it is possible to make a worthy motion based game..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

yeah hopefully itll improve with the next generation. i think this gen was more to do with devs figuring out what they could do with the tech, hopefully itll be about growing and refining it from here on in

well, growth and refinement plus loads of my little pony games

Helix wrote: »
    yeah hopefully itll improve with the next generation. i think this gen was more to do with devs figuring out what they could do with the tech, hopefully itll be about growing and refining it from here on in

well, growth and refinement plus loads of my little pony games

Will playing a motion controlled game ever not make you feel like a plonker though?

There are times, when you come in at the end of the day & just wanna relax with a video game, give me a proper gaming joypad anyday.

As for time,Nintendo have been trying for a long, long time

u-force.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Fook motion controls and these stupid touch pad controllers !

If i have to pay $600 for a new console i'd rather it be a high end bit of kit with a standard controller than some ridiculous touchpad controller with gay motion control built in.

Hopefully sony keep their move ****e separate.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

All I hope is that the controller don't use f*cking security chips again! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    All I hope is that the controller don't use f*cking security chips again! :mad:

They will.

At least its nice to go over to a friends house and not be handed some bizarre piece of **** controller to play with :pac:

Advertisement