Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Trying to Arrange Learning Support

• 25-01-2012 4:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭

I have a problem with my kids in relation to Maths - I have two of them in 5th class and they are both only achieving a 3 in their Sigma test results in Maths- for 3rd and 4th class - I have met with the Principal and have been told they are weak but not enough to warrant any extra support other then what they get in class - is there a cut off point for learning support?

Also upset that the Prinicpal allocates Learning Support time to a group of high achievers so that they can be 'challenged' - he says he has to do so under Dept. of Ed. guidelines :confused: - I think this is great but does not seem fair when my own kids are failing maths because of the lack of learning support available :(

I am trying to help them myself but am finding it difficult and its become a very stressful situation in the household - any advice!!

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

The DES Learning support guidelines are somewhat out of date, but the rules therin state children on or below the 10th percentile should get learning support.There is no offiical mention of high abilty children in these guidelines, but as exceptionally able children are recognised as having need of support too, there are many schools trying to make some form of provsion for them.

We allocate space to children on STEN 3 or below in our school, but we do not have many children with English as a second language, who due to cutbacks must now be catered for in the learning support allocation whereas previously they had English as an additional language(EAL) teachers.

What does the school learning support policy state?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Daisy M

Are you sure they did the sigma t for 3rd and 4th class? If that is the case then ask for them to be tested for 5th and 6th class where you would expect their score to be even lower and would then be allowed help.
    As hookorcrook says ask to see their learning support policy. Have they always been weak? My daughter is in 5th and was in the average score for micra t, her teacher said 5th is a hard year for maths as they are doing a lot of new work, he thinks 6th is a little easier as they are mainly covering the same stuff. Her micra T was for 5th and 6th class.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭aisher

The school my kids attend do not have a lot of kids needing language support so I dont think that is the issue. I dont know what the learning support policy is - its not on the school website and I was not offered a copy of same when I met the Principal -should they offer me a copy if I request same?? I could ring the school tomorrow if this is a reasonable request - I did query who gets the help and was told they only help those on Sten 1 or 2 - seems my kids have to fail even further before they get help :(
    As to their scores - its a worry. They were scoring at 7 and 8 in 1st and 2nd class and then transferred to the senior part of the school (different Principal etc). They got a 3 the end of 3rd class and 3 again the end of 4th class - they wont be tested again until the end of 5th class - told it would be May this year. I asked why they should have dropped so much and was told the Junior Scores were most likely scored too high which seems mad since its a Standardised test - I feel I am just being pawned off at this point. Can I do anything further? My husband wants me to write to the Board of Management but I am afraid this will just single my kids out in a negative way - also would the Dept. of Ed be worth contacting? Principal shrugged his shoulders during the meeting and said it was down to the Dept. of Ed. if I was not happy!

Do I just put up and shut up :(

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

You can request to see the policy. Unfortunately if they are not on or below the 10th percentile, then they are not entitled to support under DES guidelines so contacting the DES will not help. About to PM you.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭aisher

Thanks for all your support - much appreciated.

• Advertisement
Advertisement