Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

athlone developed by chinese

Options
  • 25-01-2012 6:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

hello i hear athlone got the go head for trade centre,estimated 1200 jobs will be created during construction,does anyone no anything about it,when will it start construction.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

They are still waiting for the go ahead as there is a couple more planning phases to get through. I've seen the scale model and I must say, it looks impressive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 paulg22

it sounds gud will u keep me posted itsthatmanagain cherrs.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Yeah, I'll let ye know if anything else happens. Apparently they're getting through a couple of objections at the moment.

The Country is in need of a few extra jobs, Chinatown promises to bring a total of approximately €1.5billion euro in investments to Athlone and the midlands and someone still objects. I wouldn't mind reading the opposition, if it's available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 paulg22

Ur dead rite it only can be gud for county.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭pawrick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

Is it just offices?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭Genghis

Anyone else think it was strange that the Chinese VP did not take the opportunity to see Athlone and the locals behind the idea for himself while in Ireland?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

Itzy wrote: »
    Yeah, I'll let ye know if anything else happens. Apparently they're getting through a couple of objections at the moment.

The Country is in need of a few extra jobs, Chinatown promises to bring a total of approximately €1.5billion euro in investments to Athlone and the midlands and someone still objects. I wouldn't mind reading the opposition, if it's available.

Read the objections raised before judging so. Said judgments are easily available if you look for them.

There are fair and exceptional reasons why some cynicism is present at this time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭maryishere

Genghis wrote: »
    Anyone else think it was strange that the Chinese VP did not take the opportunity to see Athlone and the locals behind the idea for himself while in Ireland?
    +1. I would not be learning Chinese just yet.

I think the project may have been scrapped sadly. It would have been a chance to run a small start up for a lot of people.

• Advertisement

I think the project may have been scrapped sadly. It would have been a chance to run a small start up for a lot of people.

Start up business for which people? Irish would not have got much out of it bar a token corner in a big room

China's economy won't last, sure trade apparently are cooling between Australia (raw material) and China. Maybe if it expanded to other Asian countries , there might have been a chance, but throwing the eggs into one baskets (ie China) was and is suicide.

Start up business for which people? Irish would not have got much out of it bar a token corner in a big room

China's economy won't last, sure trade apparently are cooling between Australia (raw material) and China. Maybe if it expanded to other Asian countries , there might have been a chance, but throwing the eggs into one baskets (ie China) was and is suicide.

Start ups in the form of spin off companies is what I was referring too. Ireland really needs to use it's best asset right now, which appears to be a knowledge base at the moment. We may not be seeing much of the Chinese in or around Athlone, but there is certainly other areas that could be developed. I don't see the point of a large trade centre that may only be used for a couple of weeks each year while sitting idle for the remainder.

Start ups in the form of spin off companies is what I was referring too. Ireland really needs to use it's best asset right now, which appears to be a knowledge base at the moment. We may not be seeing much of the Chinese in or around Athlone, but there is certainly other areas that could be developed. I don't see the point of a large trade centre that may only be used for a couple of weeks each year while sitting idle for the remainder.

The Knowledge base Industry is a bloody myth! It is an aspiration rather than a reality (I note there are notable Irish Exceptions and some important International Groups here in Ireland availing of our tax band)

Our broadband quality is rubbish. IT / Universities are crying out for Irish students to do well in Honours maths, they and employers are also not too impressed with the quality of the students , thus why foreign IT workers of high skills will still probably succeed in getting work permits/green cards.

As much as it pains me to say it, Athlone was hardly an ideal place for this scam, cough adventure. It was idiotic to simply reply on the Chinese (our competitors) and ignore talking to other Asian groups.

Ireland needs to be picky on what it brings in for Iirsh people. All those bloody call centres. How many are Irish employees? (Look there are foreign language requirements, I accept that) They were also never going to last

You are right about concerns about a trade centre being left idle. That is what would happen! Athlone built big buildings at the old Shopping Centre - now idle. It redeveloped part of the West Side - many units never touched!

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Long Gone

The Knowledge base Industry is a bloody myth! It is an aspiration rather than a reality (I note there are notable Irish Exceptions and some important International Groups here in Ireland availing of our tax band)

Our broadband quality is rubbish. IT / Universities are crying out for Irish students to do well in Honours maths, they and employers are also not too impressed with the quality of the students , thus why foreign IT workers of high skills will still probably succeed in getting work permits/green cards.

As much as it pains me to say it, Athlone was hardly an ideal place for this scam, cough adventure. It was idiotic to simply reply on the Chinese (our competitors) and ignore talking to other Asian groups.

Ireland needs to be picky on what it brings in for Iirsh people. All those bloody call centres. How many are Irish employees? (Look there are foreign language requirements, I accept that) They were also never going to last

You are right about concerns about a trade centre being left idle. That is what would happen! Athlone built big buildings at the old Shopping Centre - now idle. It redeveloped part of the West Side - many units never touched!

Very true - This trade hub was never going to be built in Athlone. And it's not just the old shopping centre - Look at all the white elephant retail parks build during the (so called) boom - How was a town with the population of Athlone ever going to support so many retail parks ? I'm pleased to see that B&Q have survived (for the moment), but I'd be very worried about their future unless we see a big upturn in the local housing market soon.

Just to keep this going for a bit. I see there's still no progress on plans for the old Shopping Centre across from Supermacs. There's countless empty industrial sized outlets around the town. Monksland being on such location with only half the large units in use and between them, they wouldn't generate anything more then a steady bit of business between them. Then up the road, there's the unfinished pharma plant that looks as if it's been purchase, but I'm unsure what's happening in the area, as there is a considerable amount of construction work going on around Alkermes, which can be seen from the motorway.

A lot of areas in Athlone needs some form of redevelopment, as parts of the town are a horrendous eye sore to look at, especially the old Diskin Centre, which from what I hear, 'was' supposed to be bulldozed and redeveloped as a retail park. Sadly the town isn't generating the Business to warrant redevelopment in some areas, on the flip side, that could be why the town isn't generating the Business it desperately needs for a good sized town in the midlands.

Advertisement