Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Septic tank charges

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

So am I right in saying the only to way to pay this is through your local county council website?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

Form an orderly queue - Registration has begun . Pay before Sept 26th to get the reduced rate of €5 - a bargain :D

http://www.moneyguideireland.com/protect-our-water-septic-tank-registration-website.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

I paid up. The internet registration is simple enough, except for the "challenge" at the end. You can choose between deciphering some very bad writing, or hearing some retarded robots talking at the same time in a bat cave with an echo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

recedite wrote: »
    I paid up. The internet registration is simple enough, except for the "challenge" at the end. You can choose between deciphering some very bad writing, or hearing some retarded robots talking at the same time in a bat cave with an echo.

Well worth the fiver ! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,456 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

i'm still trying to figure out why i have to pay to logon to a website, doesnt cober any of the testing, heres another database for the gov ina ddition to PRTSB, Second Home, Household charge, etc etc etc

heres an idea have one houshold database (where i could put in the two owners on the deeds of my house) with loads of columns and correlate all the data. f***ing muppets coudlnt run a P**s up in a brewery.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 182 ✭✭Burt Lancaster

1. Is https://www.protectourwater.ie a genuine site or some troll site to get credit card details ?

2. What standard does your current septic tank have to reach ? Has this been released/agreed yet?

3. When is Fiasco Phill coming out with the big fat bully boy threats ? I see he's been hidden away by FG from the media since the household charge debacle.

I have to laugh at the Goebbels style propaganda of naming the site www.protectourwater.ie
    A bit like the neck of naming incompetent health services as "centres of excellence"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭fiestaman

Im not paying mine as i only put in my septic tank last year, its was determined what type i could use and my perc area was desigened by the council on my planning permission. it cost me 12k to do all the sewage system.

I seen a thread where someone on ere said tanks do untold damage to envoirnment if not working correctly. TWO THINGS, people will not walk in there own sh*t, so if its broken 99% of people will get it fixed straight away. FARMERS put thousands of gallons of sh*t on fields every year (Where does this go?? does it not go into ground water??) I never read a case where someone died ere from water posioning and systems are probably 500% better at doing the job than one 10-20-30-40-50 years ago.

the country is Fu**ed end of story. a working septic tank isnt going to change that, nor will these petty taxes as the spa's we have running the country wouldnt hold a piss up in a brewery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,967 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

The difference is that human waste incubates human diseases, see what happened in Galway a couple of years ago when that virus or bacteria that only lives in human fecal matter shut down the water supply for months in the middle of tourist season, slurry from farms doesnt spread disease the way human waste does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 327 ✭✭Tube

Irony just occurred to me that most septic tanks are rural, Irish farmers receive €2 BILLION a year in EU payments, and this is an EU directive. So we're still quids in even when it's €50 every 5 years.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Most septic tanks are not on farms.

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

fiestaman wrote: »
    Im not paying mine as i only put in my septic tank last year, its was determined what type i could use and my perc area was desigened by the council on my planning permission. it cost me 12k to do all the sewage system.
    I'm at a complete loss as to how that's a good argument against paying a fiver to register your perfectly functioning septic tank.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,456 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

A 2009 study of Lough Arrow, in Co Westmeath, where two sewage treatment plants were so ineffective that they were serving as “factories” for the distribution of cryptosporidium spores, led Dr Lucy and her colleagues to warn that the use of the lough for drinking water and recreation “poses definite public health risks”.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2011/1107/1224307165921.html

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Going Forward

I have to laugh at the Goebbels style propaganda of naming the site www.protectourwater.ie

Subconscious programming.

oscarBravo wrote: »
    I'm at a complete loss as to how that's a good argument against paying a fiver to register your perfectly functioning septic tank.

Why would i pay, i paid my planning fees before i started to build my house. The council have my address and what type of house and sewage system i have. WHY would i waste that fiver???

Why would i pay, i paid my planning fees before i started to build my house. The council have my address and what type of house and sewage system i have. WHY would i waste that fiver???
    Because you're required by law to do so. Like all the other things - the sensible as well as the inane, the trivial as well as the significant - that you have to do in order to be compliant with the law, you're not required to enjoy doing it or consider it a good idea; you just have to do it.

I could refuse to file my tax return this year on the grounds that I'm not actually self-employed except by the most technical interpretation of the tax system, and that Revenue know perfectly well from my last several years' tax returns that I already pay all my tax through PAYE. It doesn't matter how justified I feel I am in my refusal, however: I'm still the one who'll get in trouble in the long run.

If you feel that the hassle you'll eventually get over this is less important to you than a fiver, fair play. I have enough hassle in my life, and five euros is a trivial amount of money by anyone's standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭galway2007

Thargor wrote: »
    The difference is that human waste incubates human diseases, see what happened in Galway a couple of years ago when that virus or bacteria that only lives in human fecal matter shut down the water supply for months in the middle of tourist season, slurry from farms doesnt spread disease the way human waste does.
    what cause the problem in galway???
    what caused it it is a treatment plant in a town in county galway that is running in to lough corrib
    So when hogan get the finger out and sort out the urban S**t that is being flushed out to sea and untill he sort out all the treatment plant in the towns around ireland he can stick his registration process up his H**E
    For god sake, in cork there was more sewerage running in to the peoples houses than water in the floods last week

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭robp

I seen a thread where someone on ere said tanks do untold damage to envoirnment if not working correctly. TWO THINGS, people will not walk in there own sh*t, so if its broken 99% of people will get it fixed straight away. FARMERS put thousands of gallons of sh*t on fields every year (Where does this go?? does it not go into ground water??) I never read a case where someone died ere from water posioning and systems are probably 500% better at doing the job than one 10-20-30-40-50 years ago.

the country is Fu**ed end of story. a working septic tank isnt going to change that, nor will these petty taxes as the spa's we have running the country wouldnt hold a piss up in a brewery.

Ireland trades on a green images internationally but our stats are appalling.

A single feacal coliform in groundwater breaches our Drinking Water regulations. In 2008 it was estimated to be present in 25.4% of groundwater sources. People are drinking this filth. Farmers have their strict regulations like the nitrate directive. Now its the septic tank owners turn.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭galway2007

it is now time that sewerage meters are installed in every town and city in ireland as this country can no longer spend billions on treating urban sewerage on a Flush and go.:D

Because you're required by law to do so. Like all the other things - the sensible as well as the inane, the trivial as well as the significant - that you have to do in order to be compliant with the law, you're not required to enjoy doing it or consider it a good idea; you just have to do it.

I could refuse to file my tax return this year on the grounds that I'm not actually self-employed except by the most technical interpretation of the tax system, and that Revenue know perfectly well from my last several years' tax returns that I already pay all my tax through PAYE. It doesn't matter how justified I feel I am in my refusal, however: I'm still the one who'll get in trouble in the long run.

If you feel that the hassle you'll eventually get over this is less important to you than a fiver, fair play. I have enough hassle in my life, and five euros is a trivial amount of money by anyone's standards.

Yea, i'll wait until the fivers start to grow on the trees because thats where this government thinks money is coming from. People are near enough broke. It will b 5 this yr and 50 next yr and probably 500 in 5yrs. Same as the household charge "its only E100" . It will be E1000 before we know it.

Yea, i'll wait until the fivers start to grow on the trees because thats where this government thinks money is coming from. People are near enough broke. It will b 5 this yr and 50 next yr and probably 500 in 5yrs. Same as the household charge "its only E100" . It will be E1000 before we know it.
    So your principled objection to giving the government €5 is that they might want more in the future?

Do you use the same argument to justify not paying motor tax? If not, why not?

• Advertisement

So your principled objection to giving the government €5 is that they might want more in the future?

No, i dont pay motor tax. I had to sell my car because i lost my job. The E5'ers eventually run out.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 4.legs.good

One can live without a car quite fine, one can not live (well not in a modern sense of the word) without waste disposal.

I have paid thousands for modern waste treatment system for my house and spend several hundred a year to get it inspected.

Now I have to pay the government, what do I get for this? And yes the amount will increase in future.

I have done the responsible thing and wasted alot of money to be a good citizen and for that I get screwed some more :mad:

No, i dont pay motor tax. I had to sell my car because i lost my job. The E5'ers eventually run out.
    *sigh*

I'll rephrase the question: if you had a car, would you use the same argument to justify not paying motor tax? If not, why not?
    I have paid thousands for modern waste treatment system for my house and spend several hundred a year to get it inspected.

Now I have to pay the government, what do I get for this? And yes the amount will increase in future.

I have done the responsible thing and wasted alot of money to be a good citizen and for that I get screwed some more :mad:
    I'm looking for a rational discussion here, and all I'm seeing is the usual inchoate rage that seems to have taken the place of intelligent discourse in every public forum.

You paid a lot of money for a modern waste treatment system. You spend money annually on having it inspected. All of this implies that you understand the importance of having a functional waste treatment system, and the necessity to inspect it to ensure that continues to work correctly. So far, so admirable.

And yet, you consider this money to have been wasted, because now the government wants another fiver from you?

I'm sorry, I'm still not seeing an actual argument here. If a single five euro charge causes you so much anguish, how do you not suffer from some form of embolism every time you see a payslip? I mean, you gave the government orders of magnitude more money in VAT alone when you spent the thousands on the treatment system, and every time you get it inspected. What's so distressing about this fiver?

• Registered Users Posts: 42 4.legs.good

What's so distressing about this fiver?

If you can guarantee me that it will fixed at 5 euro forever then nothing, but you can not and neither can the government.

Its a stealth tax, another one in a long line of them.

*sigh*

I'll rephrase the question: if you had a car, would you use the same argument to justify not paying motor tax? If not, why not?

I'm looking for a rational discussion here, and all I'm seeing is the usual inchoate rage that seems to have taken the place of intelligent discourse in every public forum.

You paid a lot of money for a modern waste treatment system. You spend money annually on having it inspected. All of this implies that you understand the importance of having a functional waste treatment system, and the necessity to inspect it to ensure that continues to work correctly. So far, so admirable.

And yet, you consider this money to have been wasted, because now the government wants another fiver from you?

I'm sorry, I'm still not seeing an actual argument here. If a single five euro charge causes you so much anguish, how do you not suffer from some form of embolism every time you see a payslip? I mean, you gave the government orders of magnitude more money in VAT alone when you spent the thousands on the treatment system, and every time you get it inspected. What's so distressing about this fiver?

I think you must come from the same background as the monkeys we have in the dail so i leave it at this... I wont be paying and your tax'es can pay for my legal aid if they bring me to court and pay for my stay in jail if they decide to put me in there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 334 ✭✭Tiernster7

Anyone know of the type of company who could reduce the BOD's in my ceptic tank if it fails . Just trying to do some advance thinking!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

If you can guarantee me that it will fixed at 5 euro forever then nothing, but you can not and neither can the government.

Why dont you read the legislation and inform yourself of the facts instead of ranting about things you do not even have a basic knowledge of...

Water Services (Amendment) Act 2012
    70B.(5) A certificate of registration shall be valid for a period of 5 years from the date on which it was issued.

70B.(13)(b) the fee payable to the water services authority, which shall not exceed €50, which shall accompany an application under subsection (2);

1. Is https://www.protectourwater.ie a genuine site or some troll site to get credit card details ?

2. What standard does your current septic tank have to reach ? Has this been released/agreed yet?

3. When is Fiasco Phill coming out with the big fat bully boy threats ? I see he's been hidden away by FG from the media since the household charge debacle.

Do you apply the same logic to motor tax? You refuse to pay it unless it's guaranteed never to increase?
    It's a bloody fiver. Jesus wept.
    I think you must come from the same background as the monkeys we have in the dail so i leave it at this... I wont be paying and your tax'es can pay for my legal aid if they bring me to court and pay for my stay in jail if they decide to put me in there.
    Inchoate rage it is, then.

I really miss intelligent discussion.

• Advertisement

Inchoate rage it is, then.

I really miss intelligent discussion.
    Your argument is based on doing something (registering) simply to comply with a new law.
    But the law is an ass.
    The act of registering does nothing to improve water quality. It only serves to get the EU off the governments back, for a while anyway.

The two best ways to improve water quality would be
    1) Test water for bacteria, and then trace the source. If this happened, it would most likely lead to...
    2) Inadequate or entirely absent town treatment plants where sewage is concentrated and then released into rivers. Fix them first.

The act of registering does nothing to improve water quality. It only serves to get the EU off the governments back, for a while anyway.
    And the act of refusing to register will improve water quality... how?

Not registering is not an act.
    Just like "not collecting stamps" is not a hobby.

Yes it it, its the act of breaking the law and violating water quality regulation. Ridiculous statement.

Not registering is not an act.
    Just like "not collecting stamps" is not a hobby.
    And "not paying tax" isn't an act of tax evasion.

Good luck with that argument in court.

What standard does your current septic tank have to reach ? Has this been released/agreed yet ?

WTF would anyone register their tank unless they know what standard they are looking for ? Then at least you could upgrade your tank and then register for inspections.

Typical Gombeen Fiasco Phil again. What an ass hole

• Advertisement

And "not paying tax" isn't an act of tax evasion.
    Its an omission. I rest my case m'lud. :)

WTF would anyone register their tank unless they know what standard they are looking for ?
    No standard is specified. Just registrations, to head off an EU fine for the government.

Are birds, bats, mice, rats, sheep, cattle, pigs, horses, dogs & cats going to be toilet trained ? Or will they be allowed to crap all over the countryside ?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

Your argument is based on doing something (registering) simply to comply with a new law.
    But the law is an ass.

The two best ways to improve water quality would be
    1) Test water for bacteria, and then trace the source. If this happened, it would most likely lead to...
    2) Inadequate or entirely absent town treatment plants where sewage is concentrated and then released into rivers. Fix them first.

This is incorrect. The EPA already tests water for pollution but trying to trace it back to source is an incredibly slow, labour-intensive and resource-inefficient way of doing it. The registration of septic tanks and subsequent testing is the most cost-efficient, systematic way of doing this, apart from having done it from the beginning.

As for no 2, let's not fool ourselves. The only reason the Irish government is taking action on this is because of imminent EU fines. The urban waste water treatment plants will be addressed when Brussels forces us to.

Are birds, bats, mice, rats, sheep, cattle, pigs, horses, dogs & cats going to be toilet trained ? Or will they be allowed to crap all over the countryside ?
    As I said on the previous page, human waste incubates and spreads human diseases, cholera, typhoid etc all started disappearing from the worlds cities and towns the minute proper sewers, sanitation and septic tanks started being built.

Most animals waste is fertiliser, especially herbivores, thats why farmers can spread it on their land, gardeners can fertilse their soil with it etc, human excrement in septic tanks has to be treated like it was toxic or nuclear waste, zero seepage into groundwater. The EU are horrified about Irelands casual attitude to it as they should be, anyone objecting to this should be humiliated that Brussells has to step in with threats and fines to get us to clean up our act like spoiled children.

• Advertisement

No standard is specified. Just registrations, to head off an EU fine for the government.

You mean a fine for the Irish taxpayer.

Where fck was the EU fine for the Golden Circle, the bankers, developers, bondholders and corrupt politicians ?

So if no standard has been agreed yet, what upgrade work do we have to do to our tanks ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 KTurtle

If you have a septic tank then you have ALWAYS been responsible for maintaining / emptying it. This is nothing new. If its working and you are lucky to be one of the few inspected then you shouldn't have any worries. The EPA website contains guidelines for the operation and maintenance of treatment systems.

KTurtle wrote: »
    If you have a septic tank then you have ALWAYS been responsible for maintaining / emptying it. This is nothing new. If its working and you are lucky to be one of the few inspected then you shouldn't have any worries. The EPA website contains guidelines for the operation and maintenance of treatment systems.

I do maintain and empty my tank, that won't mean it, or a percolication meets current standards, the standards for new tanks have been continually upgraded over the years. My tank met the standards in place when I installed it.

So, the question is simple, what standard to ALL tanks have to meet both older installations and new, THEN we know what work has to be done to upgrade and then when its done, we can register for inspection.

Would you demand people to pay to register their old cars for a special NCT test while refusing to tell them what standards the car must meet ???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭flutered

Thargor wrote: »
    was not the council involved in that ?, i heard something about it can any one confirm it, something similar haappened in west limerick earlier this year, but on a smaller scale, who were the culprits, i doubt if it was some ones septic tank.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭flutered

, and five euros is a trivial amount of money by anyone's standards.

not by mine as i do not have one to spendd since monday, thankfully tomorrow i will have the use of some for a few days, or probably hours.

five euros is a trivial amount of money by anyone's standards.

I don't care if its 50 cent, its the principle of the scam.

code of practice and standards http://www.epa.ie/downloads/advice/water/wastewater/code%20of%20practice%20for%20single%20houses/#d.en.27967

From what I've read, you're only going to be looking at having to upgrade if your system its not functioning or you're in what is considered a high risk area and the type of system you have is unsuitable.

code of practice and standards http://www.epa.ie/downloads/advice/water/wastewater/code%20of%20practice%20for%20single%20houses/#d.en.27967

From what I've read, you're only going to be looking at having to upgrade if your system its not functioning or you're in what is considered a high risk area and the type of system you have is unsuitable.

You keep posting me links for new installations etc. or a speculation.

WHY HAVE THE OFFICAL STANDARDS THEY WANT PEOPLE TO COMPLY WITH FOR EXISTING TANKS NOT BEEN RELEASED YET ?

You are mistaken, I have only posted you one link - once.
    In any case there is information there that applies to treatment systems be they new or old.

Most of these are also repeated on the Dept of Environments site

1. Know where your tank is located;
    2. Visually examine your tank every year;
    3. Ensure only domestic waste water is treated in your tank;
    4. Ensure your tank only discharges from those points for which it was designed to discharge from;
    5. Ensure the effluent is not discharged to or does not rise to the surface of the ground;
    6. Ensure your tank is not discharging into streams/ditches;
    7. Desludge your tank when necessary, using an authorised waste collector;
    8. Ensure that your tank is not polluting and operation and maintenance is in compliance with the manufacturer’s manual, as appropriate.

If, as part of the inspection, a problem is detected, the inspector from the local authority will identify a practical and pragmatic solution to the problem to ensure your system is no longer polluting the environment or is a threat to public health.”

If, as part of the inspection, a problem is detected, the inspector from the local authority will identify a practical and pragmatic solution to the problem to ensure your system is no longer polluting the environment or is a threat to public health.”

Aye right, the solution will be buy an expensive system and maintenance contract from one of the governments corrupt vested intrest cronies

• Advertisement
Advertisement