Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Septic tank charges

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Backfire

MadsL wrote: »

Sell your house, if you can't afford to maintain it, you can't afford to live in it.

Yes...we should all do that.....

If you were on the breadline so, you would have no problem in trying to sell your house in the current housing market place, buy some smaller place in an urban setting and not worry about your sewage system ever again? Fair play to you.

If there is a problem with the public sewage system, lets repair it using tax payers money, money taken from rural dwellers who dont use the system at all.

As they say 'fair is fair'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Backfire wrote: »
    Yes...we should all do that.....

If you were on the breadline so, you would have no problem in trying to sell your house in the current housing market place, buy some smaller place in an urban setting and not worry about your sewage system ever again? Fair play to you.

If there is a problem with the public sewage system, lets repair it using tax payers money, money taken from rural dwellers who dont use the system at all.

As they say 'fair is fair'

Would you advise someone who could not afford petrol to buy a car? What you are griping about is that some people get a petrol allowance as part of their jobs therefore you should get free petrol.

If you cannot afford the cheapest possible piece of maintenance to ensure that your property is not polluting your and everybody else's environment, then you simply cannot afford to own that house.

If your roof blew off you'd get a loan to pay for the insurance excess on the repair now wouldn't you? Yet you seem to want to be 'entitled' somehow not to be responsible for the dirty water that comes out of your own house. Unreal

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Er my neighbours are all putting down T junctions for the gray water, one moment its going into the tank for the inspector, a minute later one can have it flowing through its usual pipe into a nearby drain/stream. The junctions will be hidden and the inspector is none the wiser.
    That's brilliant! Here's another money-saving tip for you: you can save on bin charges by dumping your rubbish in ditches along the side of the road. Just make sure you remove anything in it that could be used to identify you, and the litter warden will be none the wiser.

The mind boggles.

The next complaint will be that since we cannot afford bin bags we are now burning our rubbish in the back yard.

Look. If you cannot afford to have the €300-500 worth of work done to bring the house up to basic standards of hygiene and environmental responsibility, what the fck is the plan for when you have to get a serious piece of work done on the house? Burn it to the ground and claim the insurance money?

I'm literally shaking my head in disbelief.

oscarBravo wrote: »
    That's brilliant! Here's another money-saving tip for you: you can save on bin charges by dumping your rubbish in ditches along the side of the road. Just make sure you remove anything in it that could be used to identify you, and the litter warden will be none the wiser.

The mind boggles.

Actually i burn all my rubbish in the old fireplace of an old stone building. (Nobody from a helicopter is none the wiser).
    And i recycle all recycable materials. Havnt spent money on getting rid of my rubbish in a long time. :)

I know this annoys you but i do what i have to do to make life cheaper on myself. You can voice your opinions (and please do) but it wont change my mind.

I know this annoys you but i do what i have to do to make life cheaper on myself.
    Me too. I get all my food by shoplifting, and I siphon petrol out of my neighbours' cars.

Sure, my actions have a negative effect on others, but the important thing is that I save money.

The next complaint will be that since we cannot afford bin bags we are now burning our rubbish in the back yard.

I was joking ffs!

Jesus, there are times when some people literally disgust me. This is one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 399 ✭✭solas111

Sell your house, if you can't afford to maintain it, you can't afford to live in it.

Yeah, your biggest mistake was to buy or build your own house. Far better to stay in bed all day, have lots of sex, produce a big family and demand that the local authority should give you a free house. Better still, move to a town or city where you can connect to a free public sewerage system that was paid for by public taxation.

And whatever you do, don’t bother trying to reason with those Green Party city types – even when they’re talking ****e, which is most of the time, they just ‘know’ that they are so superior to everyone else.

I was joking ffs!

Jesus, there are times when some people literally disgust me. This is one.

Well hold on a minute there...its not completely free, i still have to buy the matches ro start the fire!.....haha :)

This thread has suddenly turned hilarious!

Jese sorry guys, hope you dont choke on the carbon dioxide and carbon monoxide molecules as they disperse in the atmosphere.

• Advertisement

solas111 wrote: »
    Yeah, your biggest mistake was to buy or build your own house. Far better to stay in bed all day, have lots of sex, produce a big family and demand that the local authority should give you a free house. Better still, move to a town or city where you can connect to a free public sewerage system that was paid for by public taxation.

And whatever you do, don’t bother trying to reason with those Green Party city types – even when they’re talking ****e, which is most of the time, they just ‘know’ that they are so superior to everyone else.

What is the point in living in a house you cannot afford to maintain. That's like owning a Ferrari you cannot afford to insure.

I live in rural community with a joint sewage system for which I pay heavily each month, sorry that your caricature was wide of the mark.

However, I think that when Backfire admits to burning rubbish, the truth is not so much that he cannot afford to do the right thing, simply that he doesn't care. I'd have more respect for him if he came out with it and said it straight instead of the breadline sob story.

Yeah, pollution is the funniest thing evar.

Well hold on a minute there...its not completely free, i still have to buy the matches ro start the fire!.....haha :)

Jese sorry guys, hope you dont choke on the carbon dioxide and carbon monoxide molecules as they disperse in the atmosphere.

Do you have any clue? Or do you think releasing hydrogen cyanide or arsenic into the atmosphere is funny?

How clueless do you have to be to realise it is illegal for a reason.

Do you have any clue? Or do you think releasing hydrogen cyanide or arsenic into the atmosphere is funny?

How clueless do you have to be to realise it is illegal for a reason.

Like you said i dont care.
    Why are you so surprised when apparently you can identify the type of person i am?

Like you said i dont care.
    Why are you so surprised when apparently you can identify the type of person i am?

Then why are you asking for advice here? Or were you just looking for some validation for about how clever you were? Sorry, that you got told some hard truths instead.

Just go ahead and install your magic T switch, if an inspector came up with it, then an inspector will know how to find it - good luck with that!

By the way, how much does your magic T junction cost to install? I thought you were broke? I find it ironic that you would install something that contravenes the regulations and attracts a potential Class A fine and a criminal record when for probably the same money you could do it right, but you keep fighting the war for the "little people" against "da man". That makes sense alright.

Then why are you asking for advice here? Or were you just looking for some validation for about how clever you were? Sorry, that you got told some hard truths instead.

Just go ahead and install your magic T switch, if an inspector came up with it, then an inspector will know how to find it - good luck with that!

By the way, how much does your magic T junction cost to install? I thought you were broke? I find it ironic that you would install something that contravenes the regulations and attracts a potential Class A fine and a criminal record when for probably the same money you could do it right, but you keep fighting the war for the "little people" against "da man". That makes sense alright.

Got told some hard truths? Man i have to laugh. I dont care and no your suggestions would not have been cheaper for me. The only thing i had to purchase was a spacer to bring the manhole up closer to the surface, cost €25. The remaining parts including the t junction itself and a short 4" pipe didnt cost me anything as i received them several years ago from a relative for a completely different reason.

If the inspector found the junction i just say it was a job i did a couple of years ago. I wouldnt get fined but i would have to change the setup then yes. The fine is applied if you fail to carry out the maintenance work outlined by the inspector.

And i do these things to save money. There is no other reason.

• Advertisement

And i do these things to save money. There is no other reason.
    That's why I dump rubbish in ditches, shoplift food and steal other people's petrol. It's not because I'm a bad person; it's just because I don't care what consequences my actions have for other people. As long as I'm saving money, why should I care about anyone else?

It must make life awfully straightforward, not giving a flying **** about anything or anyone other than yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,872 ✭✭✭View

Backfire, you do realise that the government's response to the grey water "trick" will be to introduce regulation requiring seperate grey water system installation, licensing and inspection?

The government's obligation is to meet the environmental standards and sceptic tank inspection on its own is not going to let them off that hook.

That's why I dump rubbish in ditches, shoplift food and steal other people's petrol. It's not because I'm a bad person; it's just because I don't care what consequences my actions have for other people. As long as I'm saving money, why should I care about anyone else?

It must make life awfully straightforward, not giving a flying **** about anything or anyone other than yourself.

Yes because what i am doing is as serious as shoplifting and stealing petrol.....

I like how you seem to think the reason why i do what i do is because i know it will have negative effects on people and i am doing it with a Dr. Evil laugh.

Gray water entering the septic tank is suffice as long as the tank has an independent soak away.

EDIT: sorry misread your post, yes you are right, i dont care and yes my life is much more straightforward. Im such a criminal.

Yes because what i am doing is as serious as shoplifting and stealing petrol.....
    Shoplifting and stealing petrol are less serious than rape and murder. Therefore they are acceptable.
    ...yes you are right, i dont care and yes my life is much more straightforward.
    I guess your straightforward life is more important than my clean environment.

Shoplifting and stealing petrol are less serious than rape and murder. Therefore they are acceptable. I guess your straightforward life is more important than my clean environment.

Yes of course my intended sarcastic response was aimed at making that point......

So I assume there isn't a single law that you break? Ever?

If your answer is No, then fair play to you, you are a better man than I am.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,967 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Theres not a single law I break that involves me dumping my waste into other peoples water or burning my rubbish in the most enviormentally polluting way possible that maximises the damage to air quality, what an ignorant little thug you are that not only do you do these things but you come on here to boast about them in public and encourage others to do the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

you are a better man than I am.

Phew!..... thank god that's sorted out so.

The thread was starting to go off course!

Phew!..... thank god that's sorted out so.

The thread was starting to go off course!

Haha, and it was starting to annoy a few people too :)

If they came around to my area and expressed their opinions to many of my neighbors, they'd chase them out of their place with a pike (redneck-style) :)

I'll continue to do what i do and if that annoys people then all i can say is calm down and be grateful that you yourself dont do what i do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,967 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

What do you think of the fact that the more plastic and other rubbish that is burned in an area the higher the death rate from cancer and other respiratory diseases in that region?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭KyussBishop

Actually i burn all my rubbish in the old fireplace of an old stone building. (Nobody from a helicopter is none the wiser).
    And i recycle all recycable materials. Havnt spent money on getting rid of my rubbish in a long time. :)

I know this annoys you but i do what i have to do to make life cheaper on myself. You can voice your opinions (and please do) but it wont change my mind.
    You do know, that your posting history makes you very identifiable, and that it would be relatively easy for the Gardai to figure out who you are, if they searched back?

Backfire, you might want to rethink admitting criminal acts on boards.ie - were I vindictive soul, based on what you have already posted on boards and some internet digging and phone calls, I could very easily identify you and report you. That might have some very serious consequences for your job and hobbies.

Now that is not a threat, just pointing out that you are not as smart as you think you are and generally is it not a great idea to admit to criminal acts on boards.

Backfire, you might want to rethink admitting criminal acts on boards.ie - were I vindictive soul, based on what you have already posted on boards and some internet digging and phone calls, I could very easily identify you and report you. That might have some very serious consequences for your job and hobbies.

Now that is not a threat, just pointing out that you are not as smart as you think you are and generally is it not a great idea to admit to criminal acts on boards.

Yes i suppose you are correct about that.

Even people have been prosecuted by making comments on twitter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

The teaching profession has really gone to the dogs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

You do know, that your posting history makes you very identifiable, and that it would be relatively easy for the Gardai to figure out who you are, if they searched back?

Strictly speaking what you are doing is not illegal backfire. There is no law (at present as far as I am aware) preventing anyone from burning rubbish in a fire place. There are laws from buring rubbish in public.

Also I would believe that the Guards have more pressing issue than following what posters say on boards and following up same by investigating possible breaches of the lay when all the invidual may be doing is trolling.

Strictly speaking what you are doing is not illegal backfire. There is no law (at present as far as I am aware) preventing anyone from burning rubbish in a fire place. There are laws from buring rubbish in public.

WASTE MANAGEMENT (PROHIBITION OF WASTE DISPOSAL BY
    BURNING) REGULATIONS 2009
    (3) Household waste shall not be disposed of by burning either within a building,
    the curtilage of a building, any self contained part of a building used for the
    purposes of living accommodation or its curtilage other than in accordance
    with—
    (a) Regulation 6(2) of the Facility Permit Regulations, and
    (b) any Regulations which may be made under Section 53 of the Act
    of 1987.
    http://www.attorneygeneral.ie/esi/2009/B27021.pdf

Also I would believe that the Guards have more pressing issue than following what posters say on boards and following up same by investigating possible breaches of the lay when all the invidual may be doing is trolling.

No. But that is exactly what the local environmental enforcement officer may do.

Also, lets just say (hypothetically of course) that a school principal may take a dim view of a hypothetical newly qualified science teacher advocating polluting the environment on a public internet forum. Hypothetically of course. Best not get into admissions of criminal damage in that persons history either.

I think they call that a CLM = Career Limiting Move.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

http://www.attorneygeneral.ie/esi/2009/B27021.pdf

No. But that is exactly what the local environmental enforcement officer may do.

Also, lets just say (hypothetically of course) that a school principal may take a dim view of a hypothetical newly qualified science teacher advocating polluting the environment on a public internet forum. Hypothetically of course. Best not get into admissions of criminal damage in that persons history either.

I think they call that a CLM = Career Limiting Move.

One mans waste is another mans fuel last tuesday night was cold

One mans waste is another mans fuel last tuesday night was cold

Spare me the 19th Century nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,676 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I didn't think the council inspector would have the right to come on my property when I am not there but I was talking to the guy next door this evening and he says they can.

I wonder when they will be starting the inspections.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭OssianSmyth

I didn't think the council inspector would have the right to come on my property when I am not there but I was talking to the guy next door this evening and he says they can.
    The have the power to "enter and inspect any premises connected to a domestic waste water treatment system" under section 4 of the Water Services Amendment Act 2012
    However, they have to give you written notice 10 working days before the inspection.
    I wonder when they will be starting the inspections.
    Good question. The EPA is legally responsible for devising this plan. They had a consultation last year but have not produced a plan yet. The draft is here: http://epa.ie/downloads/consultation/name,33919,en.html

They say they will prioritise inspection of unregistered facilities. The registration deadline is 1 Feb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

A bit of perspective. Someone posting on a forum saying they've done something is no proof they actually have.

n97 mini wrote: »
    A bit of perspective. Someone posting on a forum saying they've done something is no proof they actually have.
    Nope, but it might constitute grounds to investigate possible criminal behaviour and find actual evidence of wrongdoing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭flutered

who are buying houses at the moment, if it sells where will one go, the streets perhaps.

if he is using tor browser or similar then anyone has not a hope in hell of idintifying him , not all peeps taking on da man are either utterly stupid or foolish in every way.

http://www.attorneygeneral.ie/esi/2009/B27021.pd

did he not say the fireplace was in an old building.

• Advertisement

flutered wrote: »
    who are buying houses at the moment, if it sells where will one go, the streets perhaps.

Overdramatise much?
    if he is using tor browser or similar then anyone has not a hope in hell of idintifying him , not all peeps taking on da man are either utterly stupid or foolish in every way.

He has posted enough personal information on boards to narrow it down pretty closely. I'm not going to post details - search his posts yourself if you like.

did he not say the fireplace was in an old building.

Show me where the regualtions give a flying flutered about the age of the building?

Overdramatise much?

He has posted enough personal information on boards to narrow it down pretty closely. I'm not going to post details - search his posts yourself if you like.

Show me where the regualtions give a flying flutered about the age of the building?

techy are we not, leave the toys in the pram. the op stated that he burned the stuff in an old fireplace, he never said that any one lived in that house.

Overdramatise much?

techy are we not, leave the toys in the pram. the op stated that he burned the stuff in an old fireplace, he never said that any one lived in that house.

Just read the regulations, there is no clause about either the age of the building nor if it is occupied.

Not tetchy, just accurate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

4. 2(b) The owner or occupier of a facility or lands which may facilitate the
    burning of waste shall take all reasonable steps to ensure that such a
    device, facility or lands is not used for the burning of waste...

A derelict building is classified as being just another part of the "facility or lands".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Nope, but it might constitute grounds to investigate possible criminal behaviour and find actual evidence of wrongdoing.

And again, a bit of perspective needed. Someone posting on an internet forum claiming they burnt rubbish in an open fire in a house. Eh, prolly not really high priority for our law enforcement agencies.

And again, a bit of perspective needed. Someone posting on an internet forum claiming they burnt rubbish in an open fire in a house. Eh, prolly not really high priority for our law enforcement agencies.
    I'm not saying it's likely; merely that it's stupid to break the law and then brag about it on an online forum where you're not as anonymous as you'd like to think.

All of which is distracting from the point that, aside from being illegal, it's wrong, and bragging about being a polluter is about as admirable as bragging about torturing small animals.

• Advertisement

Law enforcement or environmental enforcement?

^^^^^

Are you a septic tank owner who is up for inspection like the rest of us?

I'm guessing you are not seeing as you come out with stuff like sell the house if you can't afford it.

Apart from one poster talking rubbish in the last few pages noone on here is saying tanks shouldn't be up to standand but it's a big worry to homeowners who may be faced with a massive bill to get it fixed.

€4000 wouldn't last long if a lot of work has to be done.

^^^^^

Are you a septic tank owner who is up for inspection like the rest of us?

I pay for private maintenance of two wells and and a aerobic digester system which recycles our waste into irrigation water for our landscaping. It rums about $150 a month in charges (system is shared between 100 units). I recently had to pay a $770 bill for replacement of a pipeline.
    I'm guessing you are not seeing as you come out with stuff like sell the house if you can't afford it.

You guessed wrong. However if I could not afford to properly maintain the house I would sell it, what's the point in letting any property fall into disrepair?
    Apart from one poster talking rubbish in the last few pages noone on here is saying tanks shouldn't be up to standand but it's a big worry to homeowners who may be faced with a massive bill to get it fixed.

€4000 wouldn't last long if a lot of work has to be done.

So move if your position is not tenable. Or do you want handouts until the work is done? I'm sorry but your position is a bit like asking the taxpayer to pay for the work on your car after it fails the NCT.

It's a grant, not a handout.

I don't see why anyone would have a problem with their fellow citizens getting some help to get work done.

It's a grant, not a handout.

I don't see why anyone would have a problem with their fellow citizens getting some help to get work done.

Your post appears to be whining that €4k is not enough....

• Advertisement
Advertisement