Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HUGE problem!!

Options
  • 25-01-2012 7:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭

ive run into HUGE problems

i am about to enter my personal statement in my CAO application but it will only allow 1000 letters. why is this?

im starting to panic as ive 600+ words and cant fit even 1 quater into that little space

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Moonfruit

I have applied and with the advice from a guidance counselor, I printed my personal statement out on A4 (4 pages) and attached it to page 3 & 4 of the CAO form. You will obviously have to do this via postal application.
    I'm told that the online application is quite restricted regarding the word count.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭annacanna

ive already started my application online and paid the fee, is there anyway around this. can i just post my printed personal statement off to the cao to be put with my application and just leave the other info (personal statement) empty on the online application

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭muffinn

I have similar problem.

If you have applied online you have 7 days to provide them with all the documents. I have posted my personal statement along with the certs and diploma, however I forgot to put my CAO number on any of the copies.....

This is just wrecking my head!!! I'm gonna ring them tomorrow but just wondering if anyone have ever had experience with dealing with CAO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

Don't Panic Folks!

It fine to type into the online box something like 'I will forward my personal statement with my certificates'. Most mature students who apply online do this. Just make sure to write your name, dob and CAO number on top of the statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭annacanna

thanks

• Advertisement

paperclip2 wrote: »
    Don't Panic Folks!

It fine to type into the online box something like 'I will forward my personal statement with my certificates'. Most mature students who apply online do this. Just make sure to write your name, dob and CAO number on top of the statement.

Yeah, the problem is I completely forgot to write my CAO number on the certs and today is the 7th day since I have applied online...

Do you reckon they will cause some problems if I will try to send the whole lot again ?

muffinn wrote: »
    Yeah, the problem is I completely forgot to write my CAO number on the certs and today is the 7th day since I have applied online...

Do you reckon they will cause some problems if I will try to send the whole lot again ?

The best thing to do is get in touch with them directly. They have been known to void applications if they receive more than one from an applicant, but I'm not sure what they will advise in this case. If you can't get through on the phone you can email them via the website.
    What did you put on your statement? Name, address, dob?

paperclip2 wrote: »
    The best thing to do is get in touch with them directly. They have been known to void applications if they receive more than one from an applicant, but I'm not sure what they will advise in this case. If you can't get through on the phone you can email them via the website.
    What did you put on your statement? Name, address, dob?

There is my name and DOB on some of the diplomas. I don't know what I was thinking... :(

I'll ring them tomorrow and see if this can be worked out somehow. I really hope it can, it is only few days left till the deadline and I don't want to find out that my application didn't go through...

There is my name and DOB on some of the diplomas. I don't know what I was thinking... :(

I'll ring them tomorrow and see if this can be worked out somehow. I really hope it can, it is only few days left till the deadline and I don't want to find out that my application didn't go through...

Don't worry too much. :) I was at a CAO conference in November and apparently they get about 3000 applications a year that need a good bit of detective work to sort them out. I'd be very sure you aren't the first applicant to do this. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,142 ✭✭✭ronano

I have similar problem.

If you have applied online you have 7 days to provide them with all the documents. I have posted my personal statement along with the certs and diploma, however I forgot to put my CAO number on any of the copies.....

This is just wrecking my head!!! I'm gonna ring them tomorrow but just wondering if anyone have ever had experience with dealing with CAO.

I thought it was 7 days from the closing date of the 1st of feb? please god tell me it is!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭ratedR

ronano wrote: »
    I thought it was 7 days from the closing date of the 1st of feb? please god tell me it is!

Yes, I need clarification of this too, please?!

I've misplaced one of my certs and am waiting on a replacement, I'm not sure if I will have it before the 1st Feb.

I was planning on sending the online application on maybe monday, and was hoping I would then have 7 days from then to get my certs/printed personal statement to them by post. :confused::confused:

ratedR wrote: »
    Yes, I need clarification of this too, please?!

I've misplaced one of my certs and am waiting on a replacement, I'm not sure if I will have it before the 1st Feb.

I was planning on sending the online application on maybe monday, and was hoping I would then have 7 days from then to get my certs/printed personal statement to them by post. :confused::confused:

It's seven days from the date CAO received your online application, not from the first of Feb. See page 10 of the CAO handbook:
    3. If you apply online, instructions about the submission of any additional documentation will appear on screen. Such documents must arrive in CAO within seven days of the submission of the online application.

Get in touch with CAO asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,142 ✭✭✭ronano

I rang them just there to see what story was and i was told

'ah no that's not problem at all you can send it in up until the 7th of February' They'll be sent off today!

I rang them just there to see what story was and i was told

'ah no that's not problem at all you can send it in up until the 7th of February' They'll be sent off today!

Phew, relief. :)

Good to know. Will file for future reference. Thanks. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

That happened to me last year (I had 1,000 words done) so I simply edited it by summarizing each paragraph in a couple of lines. As long as you get the message across clearly, it should be fine. Unless of course I am wrong, and I was supposed to forward the 1,000 words by mail! I got in. (I had the additional statement as to why I wanted the course though).

Advertisement