Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shared line broadband?

Options
  • 25-01-2012 8:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

I have previously enquired with eircom on receiving next generation broadband however I was informed that I would not be able to get it due to been on a shared line with my neighbour.

I am located approximately under 3km from our local exchange and atleast within 5km off another, Our other neighbour less than 100 meters down the road has eircom and we are left out because of a shared line.

Now what I would like to know is what can use do to help upgrade our line.

Thanks for your time,

Dermot

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

DermotN16 wrote: »
    I have previously enquired with eircom on receiving next generation broadband however I was informed that I would not be able to get it due to been on a shared line with my neighbour.

I am located approximately under 3km from our local exchange and atleast within 5km off another, Our other neighbour less than 100 meters down the road has eircom and we are left out because of a shared line.

Now what I would like to know is what can use do to help upgrade our line.

Thanks for your time,

Dermot

Hi Dermot,

Thanks for posting on the eircom Forum.

My advice is that you will need to call into 1901 and request this upgrade.

As you are aware already, at the moment, we are unable to provide broadband on a shared line. Therefore you will require a phoneline upgrade and you will need to make this request directly yourself.

Best wishes,
    Ant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 DermotN16

Well having rang the number provided and been pasted from call centre to call centre, been told that the service you have told me to request doesn't exist by some staff I finally found someone who tried to help me out.
    They told me that I would require an additional line to be put in and also a change of number at a cost of 122 euro. I was assured that this is the service that I required having asked for my phone line to be upgraded and explaining my circumstances.
    Having given this some thought am not sure that I have been sold the right service but maybe you can verify this for me.

So after waiting the 10 days for someone to come out to my house, all I had was a text with an appointment date and then a voice mail that they would not be able to come out at that time and reschedule a date to come out. So after waiting another few days I decided that I would ring eircom again, I was chatting with a man at the time who told me that they would be out that day and if not, then to ring him back after five.
    Having waited around all day until five I then rang back only to be talking to yet another member of staff who told me that I would receive a call back the following day with an appointment. Next day came no word what so ever, I then rang the automated number again and on the machine was told that my order would be carried out by the 21st of february which was today and yet again nothing....? I am completely disgusted at the lack off service specially considering the fact of having been with eircom twenty years plus. All I want to know is, what I have been sold is right and when will it be installed.

Thanks for time,
    Dermot

Well having rang the number provided and been pasted from call centre to call centre, been told that the service you have told me to request doesn't exist by some staff I finally found someone who tried to help me out.
    They told me that I would require an additional line to be put in and also a change of number at a cost of 122 euro. I was assured that this is the service that I required having asked for my phone line to be upgraded and explaining my circumstances.
    Having given this some thought am not sure that I have been sold the right service but maybe you can verify this for me.

So after waiting the 10 days for someone to come out to my house, all I had was a text with an appointment date and then a voice mail that they would not be able to come out at that time and reschedule a date to come out. So after waiting another few days I decided that I would ring eircom again, I was chatting with a man at the time who told me that they would be out that day and if not, then to ring him back after five.
    Having waited around all day until five I then rang back only to be talking to yet another member of staff who told me that I would receive a call back the following day with an appointment. Next day came no word what so ever, I then rang the automated number again and on the machine was told that my order would be carried out by the 21st of february which was today and yet again nothing....? I am completely disgusted at the lack off service specially considering the fact of having been with eircom twenty years plus. All I want to know is, what I have been sold is right and when will it be installed.

Thanks for time,
    Dermot

Hi Dermot,

Thanks and I apologise for any inconvenience. As advised eircom cannot provide broadband on a shared line and a new line activation would be require. If you PM your details, plus any contact numbers or names you have tried to contact, I will investigate your query and advise you further.

Kind regards,
    Ant

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭bertiecont

I have the same issue - local exchange is BB enabled but we are on a shared line.
    I was told we could request a new line to be installed but that there would be no guarantee that this would be able to get BB either so we didn't bother.

If I pay my €122 and get new line installed is it sure to not be on a shared line and be able to get BB?

bertiecont wrote: »
    I have the same issue - local exchange is BB enabled but we are on a shared line.
    I was told we could request a new line to be installed but that there would be no guarantee that this would be able to get BB either so we didn't bother.

If I pay my €122 and get new line installed is it sure to not be on a shared line and be able to get BB?

Hi bertiecont,

Thanks for your post. As already advised a new phoneline will need to be installed and tested by an engineer before Adsl can be provided.

You will need to request this first through New line activations on 1901.

Best wishes,
    Ant

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

A new residential line costs €0 to install right now . Ant should be aware of this promotion.

Hi Dermot,

Thanks and I apologise for any inconvenience. As advised eircom cannot provide broadband on a shared line and a new line activation would be require. If you PM your details, plus any contact numbers or names you have tried to contact, I will investigate your query and advise you further.

Kind regards,
    Ant

Thanks for clarifying that it was in fact the service required.
    I have no names of whom I have spoken to, as I simply did not ask however I will pm you my details now.

With Thanks,
    Dermot

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    A new residential line costs €0 to install right now . Ant should be aware of this promotion.

Cheers for the heads up, maybe Ant can clarify if I apply for this offer.

Dermot

Okay so I decided that I would ring back again today to see if any head way was made in regards of my order. When I got the automated machine was told that there was no order, when I got chatting to a member of staff was told that they cancelled the order due to our line been not suitable for broadband, which was the whole reasoning behind the order. I feel as if I am banging my head of a wall, what is so hard about sending someone out to Just do this, its been nearly a month now and nothing, either this gets sorted out or else it will be a matter of changing service provider and please don't just pawn me of and tell me to ring 1901 again. I get the impression when you ring that either the staff have not a clue what am talking about or else could not be bothered to take the extra time to help me out.

Dermot

Okay so I decided that I would ring back again today to see if any head way was made in regards of my order. When I got the automated machine was told that there was no order, when I got chatting to a member of staff was told that they cancelled the order due to our line been not suitable for broadband, which was the whole reasoning behind the order. I feel as if I am banging my head of a wall, what is so hard about sending someone out to Just do this, its been nearly a month now and nothing, either this gets sorted out or else it will be a matter of changing service provider and please don't just pawn me of and tell me to ring 1901 again. I get the impression when you ring that either the staff have not a clue what am talking about or else could not be bothered to take the extra time to help me out.

Dermot

Thanks Dermot,

Apologies for all the inconvenience. Have got your details and following up with this. Will advise again soon.

Ant

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Order a new line under the Current Free Installation Promotion. The engineer will eventually show up to do the install. Once the engineer knows the NEW line is for broadband he will tell you whether he can provide an unsplit line or not.

If he cannot then don't let him in install the socket....No master socket = no installation completion = no cost to you.

If it is unsplit take your chances with it if the engineer says it tests OK, then cancel the old line as it is useless for your requirements. You will be able to order broadband or a bundle 1-2 weeks later usually after it is tested.

The free install offer is here. Print this out or save it in yoru documents.

http://www.eircom.ie/About/Activities/internet_special_offer.pdf

"eircom Residential PSTN Connection Promotion
    Promotional Period : 3rd January to 30th June 2012 (inclusive)" Cost €0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

Dermot

Hi Dermot,

Are you free to take a call on your mobile within the next hour?

Thanks, Mark

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

Dermot

Hi Dermot,

Can you PM me with your mobile number to give you a call.

Thanks, Mark

Advertisement