Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Avoca Manor - Wicklow

Options
  • 25-01-2012 8:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭

I have a great interest in hearing stories from old people about paranormal and ghostly sightings and happenings. I also like to investigate these stories to see for myself, I recently was told about a black dog from Avoca Manor in Co.Wicklow. Has anybody else heard about this ghostly dog that has been reportedly seen in the area going back many years??

When I got into a deeper conversation with the individual about these sightings of the dog I told him I'd love to take a trip down and investigate. As soon as I said this the man in question gave me severe warnings not to do so. I dont mean "ohh dont mess with the paranormal" I mean a warning as if I would actually come to serious harm. Has anyone any more information on the Dog of Avoca Manor??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

No, but bookmarking this! Interesting. Maimed goat?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Avoca manor takes me back. Over 20 years ago in the early 90s i spent a lot of time there at camps run by born again Christians.

Very dark and airy place for a kid at night but one time i was walking back from the sports hall to the manor, its about 3 minute walk but when i left the sports hall i heard light foot steps so i looked behind me and i saw a black German shepherd, big and wild slightly wolf like. I ran and i thought it was chasing me but when i got to the house there was nothing. That stopped me venturing out at night by self.

I don't remember any ghost stories before that, just that the back of the manor towards what we'd call ballykissangel was a definit no go after 6pm though that precaution could have been for the avoca town locals.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

Spent many a summer down there myself too in my teens. :)

Thinking back there was a few times when we uses to be walking back and thought we would hear someone walking behind us, not like footsteps so we were never concerned but did sound like small footsteps. A dog following would be a good way to describe the sound. make a lot of sense now that I think of it. Very interesting.
    Coming down past the bottom of the assault course it seemed to get louder, too. Is that what you found, orange?

I experienced this on two occasions with 2 years between.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

I always found the walk from the sports hall to the manor was the spookiest though the back of the sports hall towards the plunge pool at night was really scary.

The dog sighting only happened once though you'd always have the feeling something was walking with you on the loose stone paths.

I thought the assault course at the back of the manor was alright though I wouldnt hang out much there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

Just to clarify, Its Ovoca Manor, just outside Avoca Village, but everyone seems to get it wrong..

As a regular camp leader I have never heard of this story before, but we usually tell the kids about the "Washer-woman" who haunts the grounds (immediately before we go out for a late walk) and to watch out for the clothes-pegs (which we quietly drop as we go...)

• Advertisement
Advertisement