Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deferral of college place and BTEA

Options
  • 25-01-2012 8:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi, anyone know if you defer a college offer from the C.A.O. and your on BTEA. Can you still claim BTEA when you commence the course?:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Mance Rayder

I am assuming by defer you mean, skip this academic year? or do you just intend to start the course late?

You get approved on a yearly basis, so if your BTEA was approved for a particular course on a particular year then you cannot defer it. If you recieve BTEA you are expected to be in full time education.

If you are on BTEA and wish to stop for a year then you can return to jobseekers provided you are going to try get a job. If it doesnt work out you can go back on BTEA provided that the course you apply for is relevant to your previous course (If any) and that its a higher level then your current educational level (Example fetac level 5 progressing to level 6).

If you have been approved for BTEA I would imagine that the social welfare would not take kindly to you wanting a 'year out'. It's tax payers money for your free education afterall.

Correct me if I'm wrong i'm just not sure what yo mean by defer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

BTEA is given on the understanding you are in fulltime education. If you aren't then you can go back to Jobseekers Allowance but you do need to explain to DSP why you need to defer and that you have gotten the approval of the college to do this.

If this was a deferral of a first year place it generally wont affect your application for BTEA when you do start the course as long as you still fulfil the entry requirements.

Advertisement