Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

hard to find cute dresses - pear shape

• 25-01-2012 8:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭

Spring/Summer's coming up and all the cute dresses are appearing in stores, and some of them look so pretty. I wanted a nice dress last w/end and trawled trough the shops trying on loads of dresses but to no avail :o( Prob is I'm a pear shape 10/12 on top and 12/14 from hips down and I have short chunky legs. I noticed two problems with the dresses one taking a size 12 "just about" fitted across the hips/thighs and a size 14 was way too big on my top half. Second thing was the length I found some way short as in 5/6" above my knee making me self concious when I sit down and not flattering for my legs. It's very depressing. Any other girlies here have the same problem? Do any of you pear girls still wear skirts and dresses? Pity they dont do a size 13 dress might just fit my body then :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

Hey there,

This is the forum for all threads relating to, well, fashion and appearance.

Moved from tLL. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

What about a tulip style dress? They are naturally larger below the waist. They have a great range on Asos. I actually bought this one recently. It was alot longer in the flesh, almost to my knee (I am 5 5) and there was alot of room in the hip/thigh area. 8 colours to choose from too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭miss choc

Yeah that dress looks nice covers all the chunky parts !! I was a bit worried when I saw the pic looked way short but guess model is 5 9" so for a 5 5" like me would be a bit longer might check them out one in every colour ;)

miss choc wrote: »
    Yeah that dress looks nice covers all the chunky parts !! I was a bit worried when I saw the pic looked way short but guess model is 5 9" so for a 5 5" like me would be a bit longer might check them out one in every colour ;)

I was well suprised with the length of it. When it was on, it was definitely not what you'd call short.

Tempted to get one, how are ASOS to deal with never bought clothes online? great it's free delivery would just have to be careful now weather to get a 12 or 14 the colours' are lovely

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 780 ✭✭✭afkasurfjunkie

im basically same size as you but bit taller. rarely ever wore dresses for the same reason. either too big on top when it fits my hips or too small on hips when it fits right on top. but the 'fit and flare' dress style really suits me. check oasis as they do a good few dresses in that style. its fitted on top but bottom part flows out and it can make your waist look really neat and small too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

I'd go for more a fit and flare dress rather than a tulip shaped dress.

Yeah have a nice little top half n' waist so the skater style dress would suit why do you think the tulip mightn't be as flattering Lauranne just curious want to make a good decision before buying my future dress :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ilyana

I bought a lovely skater-style dress from H&M yesterday; it's electric blue with a red belt on the waist. It has short sleeves, fitted on top and flares out from the waist. It's not at all too short either. Oh and it's only 25 euro! The sizes were pretty generous too, I'm a 10, and the small fitted me like a glove :)

I can't find it on the H&M website, but it's definitely still in stock seeing as I only bought it yesterday, not on sale. It wasn't sale stock either. Those dresses are very comfy too :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭foundry

large]

That it Emily? It says knee length but I wouldn't go near it for me, picture is so off putting.

I have the same problem OP, small waist & short legs. Would love more options for knee length dresses, sick of dresses rising up while sitting down, so unflattering for me.
    I'm 5'7 so not that tall.
    Would love to hear where others purchase knee length dresses??

• Advertisement

Lovely dress and style but no way would wear it it it was that short :eek: her legs are waay skinny bit of airbrushing ??:rolleyes:

Some good tips on dressing for your shape on the channel 4 website:
    http://www.channel4.com/4beauty/style/dress-for-your-body-shape/pear/dresses-for-pear-shapes

To answer your earlier question, ASOS are very good to deal with and easy to return unwanted items.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ilyana

foundry wrote: »
    <SNIP>

That it Emily? It says knee length but I wouldn't go near it for me, picture is so off putting.

I have the same problem OP, small waist & short legs. Would love more options for knee length dresses, sick of dresses rising up while sitting down, so unflattering for me.
    I'm 5'7 so not that tall.
    Would love to hear where others purchase knee length dresses??

The dress is lovely, I don't know why people don't like it :confused: :pac:
    It's much longer on me, I'm only 5ft 1". It probably comes to about two inches above my knee. That model could be six foot tall for all we know :pac:

great little videos dresses are lovely I dont know why most of the dresses now are emphasising the baby doll type dresses guess there is the market for them. I swear there were one or two I was sure was a long top :) havent got the pins for those dresses like the skinny minnies with legs that go on forever

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭Dotcomdolly

How about this, the wide waistband would show off your waist and I think the jeresy would make for a better fit.

Yeah like wrap dresses would love a block colour like red purple or orange my friend has an orange shift dress and the colour looks fab on her nice pop of colour in these dreary months :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭Dotcomdolly

there's a lovely green one on the wallis site too.

All those turquoise ones are lovely very flattering

EmilyO wrote: »
    The dress is lovely, I don't know why people don't like it :confused: :pac:
    It's much longer on me, I'm only 5ft 1". It probably comes to about two inches above my knee. That model could be six foot tall for all we know :pac:

I do like the dress. It's not knee length for me. If your 5'1 and its 2 inches above knee and I'm 5'7 it will be 8 inches too short!! It's lovely but as OP states its too short.

• Advertisement
Advertisement