Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canyon bikes

Options
  • 25-01-2012 9:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭

Long story short.

I will shortly be partaking of the bike 2 work scheme.
    All my company do is give you a check. So I was looking at canyon bikes.

The road light 7.0 looks like a runner with some money put with it.
    Anybody here got a canyon through btw and is there another canyon that I should consider.

Do they have any bikes with campag on them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Mr. Grieves

CptMackey wrote: »
    Do they have any bikes with campag on them.

Yes, e.g. Ultimate AL 8.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Konkers

@cptmackey,

I'm in same position, they (employer) will just give me a cheque made out to the supplier once I have an invoice for the 1,00 euro or whatever, rest is up to me. How did this work with canyon? i.e. irish domestic cheque to a german bank account?

Just curious.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

Konkers wrote: »
    @cptmackey,

I'm in same position, they (employer) will just give me a cheque made out to the supplier once I have an invoice for the 1,00 euro or whatever, rest is up to me. How did this work with canyon? i.e. irish domestic cheque to a german bank account?

Just curious.
    It's a little obvious but you should ask Canyon. They're pretty responsive and money is money once it clears their account and they don't have to pay too many fees for lodging an Irish cheque.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭insinkerator

I bought the roadlite 7.0 last summer, and can't fault it! Cracking bike, gets plenty of compliments too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Konkers

sorry cptmackey,

I thought your company would only issue a cheque like mine. You said:
    All my company do is give you a check. So I was looking at canyon bikes.

I just wondered if you had actually done this and spoken to Canyon about it. I'll call them myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭rodriquez

Konkers wrote: »
    sorry cptmackey,

I thought your company would only issue a cheque like mine. You said:

I just wondered if you had actually done this and spoken to Canyon about it. I'll call them myself.

I'd be interested to find out how you got on with that, considering going down the same route ... have to say the Canyon Rodalite does look like great value for money

• Registered Users Posts: 40 camanstar

I recently purchased a Roadlite 7 and I love it. Great bike with great spec.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Statler

Bought the CF 9 from them last year on the BTW scheme, once they get a cheque/ bank transfer they don't care who's paying for it or how or why. It's effectively a company purchase as far as they're concerned.
    I just selected the bike, chose the post pay/bank transfer option for payment, supplied them with the company name, address and VAT number and they issued me an invoice net of German VAT. As far as I'm aware your Irish employer should then apply the Irish VAT rate to it, but there seems to be a bit of confusion out there with regard to that...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

Also got a roadlite 7 recently and am loving it. Geometry is a bit less forgiving than my last bike but after a few spins that's fine. Great spec and looks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭lil_kev

Anyone knows retailer that sells Canyon bicycles in Dublin?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭ILIKEFOOD

there aren't any in Ireland.

They are primarily an online company. They've a UK and German outlet store I think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Yes, you can only buy them online or from visiting their factory in Germany.

Did anyone got ther bikes through onine store?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

lil_kev wrote: »

I did last year, it took less than a week to arrive.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭gwakamoley

With the Tour coming up will there be any new models announced? I noticed that a lot of Inflites went on the factory outlet store after they announced the new Inflite so hoping the same thing might happen with the Ultimate. Otherwise I'm at least hoping for a few quid off an Ultimate CF SL 8/9

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭cython

gwakamoley wrote: »
    With the Tour coming up will there be any new models announced? I noticed that a lot of Inflites went on the factory outlet store after they announced the new Inflite so hoping the same thing might happen with the Ultimate. Otherwise I'm at least hoping for a few quid off an Ultimate CF SL 8/9

From what I recall they don't generally drop new products to coincide with GTs, but they do generally run a sale and some reductions throughout both the Giro and the TDF (possibly the Vuelta too, but I don't remember it as clearly!) most years.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Samson1

I did last year. They had a sale that started in the last days in June. I had the webpage opened for maybe a week - looked at it one night and the price had dropped €200, and the new price had auto-updated !!!

I found them very good to deal with, order shipped in 9 days, delivery took about 3 days. There is some small assembly, which is well catalogued in English and very do-able.

As a tip, they have a huge range of accessories online, which comes at a big discount (35% ?) if you buy at the same time as bike purchase (and avoids delivery charges also if bought later).

If they do the same sale this year you should be deciding on a bike now, and keeping an eye on the site over the next week; as even though the sale lasted nearly 4 weeks last year, particular bike sizes sell out very quick, and you might find your size is gone. I believe they have this sale every year, before they announce their new models in early September.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,251 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

gwakamoley wrote: »

I got an Ultimate CF SL 9.0 for 1599 from the outlet earlier this year

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭gwakamoley

I got an Ultimate CF SL 9.0 for 1599 from the outlet earlier this year

Yeah I've been keeping a close eye on the factory outlet for the past month or so. Been tempted by a few excellent deals on some SLX 9.0s but they've been gone before I've gotten around to pulling the trigger.

There's usually quite a bit of turnover on the factory outlet but the past week has been very quiet. Since they put up all the Inflites a week or two ago there's been no road bikes have gone up at all so I'm hoping this is a sign that they're gearing up for a big dump but maybe that's wishful thinking!

What about bike to work scheme? Can you do that with canyon or only stores inside Ireland? What about delivery is it free of charge or there is delivery fee for Ireland? cheers! :)

• Advertisement

What about bike to work scheme? Can you do that with canyon or only stores inside Ireland? What about delivery is it free of charge or there is delivery fee for Ireland? cheers! :)

Delivery and packaging in Bike Guard Box (re-usable) to Ireland is a total of €50.42.

Samson1 wrote: »
    Delivery and packaging in Bike Guard Box (re-usable) to Ireland is a total of €50.42.

https://www.canyon.com/en-ie/shop/information/#delivery

• Registered Users Posts: 23,536 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Samson1 wrote: »

Is a bike guard box nit just a glorified cardboard box. Give it a name and charge extra...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

ted1 wrote: »
    Is a bike guard box nit just a glorified cardboard box. Give it a name and charge extra...

I had to look it up and that's exactly what I thought!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,251 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Effects wrote: »
    I had to look it up and that's exactly what I thought!
    Yeah it is - a strong cardboard box essentially

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Get In There

Bought a canyon bike via the cycle to work scheme earlier this year. Basically you need to provide Canyon with your company name & VAT id as technically they're purchasing it on your behalf. And ask Canyon for an invoice with net VAT.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Crocked

Bought a canyon bike via the cycle to work scheme earlier this year. Basically you need to provide Canyon with your company name & VAT id as technically they're purchasing it on your behalf. And ask Canyon for an invoice with net VAT.

The Company need to pay/charge you the VAT, it's not a VAT free purchase

• Registered Users Posts: 23,536 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Crocked wrote: »

The Company need to pay/charge you the VAT, it's not a VAT free purchase
    Depends if canyon are registered for VAT in Ireland. If not then there is no VAT payable as your company is registered for VAT and canyon justbout down that number on the export form

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭cython

ted1 wrote: »
    Depends if canyon are registered for VAT in Ireland. If not then there is no VAT payable as your company is registered for VAT and canyon justbout down that number on the export form

Fairly sure they are, as when I ordered one a few years ago it was the Irish rate of 23% rather than the lower German rate (I think 21%?)

And actually I think technically VAT still has to be accounted for, even if the employer purchase net of VAT and pay it direct to Revenue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

cython wrote: »
    And actually I think technically VAT still has to be accounted for, even if the employer purchase net of VAT and pay it direct to Revenue.

The employer doesn't usually have to pay vat on purchases, they claim it back. Having it removed at source in Germany just makes it easier than have to claim it back after paying it in a different country.

Advertisement