Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When making soup.....

Options
  • 25-01-2012 10:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,523 ✭✭✭

If you need to sieve your soup, use a ladle to push it through. It does the job in half the time compared to a spoon. ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭irisheddie85

Use an even bigger ladle and you half the time again!

• Site Banned Posts: 148 ✭✭franciebellew

What kind of soup?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,523 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

What kind of soup?

It was leftover chicken and butternut squash stew that I was turning into chicken noodle soup. Kids will only eat soup that has been sieved. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Zap it in the blender. Avoids sweating over a hot sieve. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,523 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

You know the smooth creaminess you get from a tin of chicken soup? Well you can match that using a blender. You have to use a sieve.

Jeez, I was just trying to help! :rolleyes: ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

Is it just me or does this thread have a surreal quality to it? :pac:

Not surreally!! :)

Sorry, but I haven't sieved soup for decades. Not since they invented blenders. But if sieved is what Gloomtastic's kids want then that works too, but its a lot easier with a blender.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Ideally wouldn't you blend it and then pass it through a sieve?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Ideally wouldn't you blend it and then pass it through a sieve?

I've never found it necessary tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Ophiopogon

I can kinda see why you would put soup through a sieve but I also can't imagine ever doing it. Moulin it up, for me does the job...makes it as creamy or smooth as I want it to be and I would think by sieving chicken you would lose out on some of the chicken, no?

Also...have to say if ever I have to sieve something (fruit etc) I would just hang it in some muslin and squeeze it every so often. Would not be in any way interested in standing there pushing something through a sieve, no matter how big the spoon/ladle is.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    I've never found it necessary tbh.

Don't knock it till you've tried it.

Works great with gravy as well, if you make a stock from onion, leek, carrot, celery etc. . Combine the stock with the meat juices, blend it and then pass it through a sieve.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Works great with gravy as well, if you make a stock from onion, leek, carrot, celery etc. . Combine the stock with the meat juices, blend it and then pass it through a sieve.

Before my blender phase I had to sieve everything, but really, life's too short to (peel grapes) and sieve soup! To each his own I guess.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Before my blender phase I had to sieve everything, but really, life's too short to (peel grapes) and sieve soup! To each his own I guess.

am totally with you.

hand blender has the job done in seconds

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

Having spent four hours making various different soups in college today, passed and unpassed, I'd take a blender over passing through a sieve any day. For some things we blending quickly and then passed it which made it a bit easier.

Also, consommé before you pass it through muslin has to be one of the most unappetising looking things I've made in a while! One it's nice and clear with garnishes though, it's so worth it.

Yes, I would agree, to sieve in this instance would work as you are removing something from something. But in the making of soup you aren't really removing anything, just combining and blending together.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I reckon this thread is a sign of the times we live in food-wise. The making of something simple that's been made for hundreds of years is suddenly elevated to something akin to fine art :D

I just try to save time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Seomra Mushie

I've never tried sieving soup but would like too. I think liquidised soup is rank, especially if the soup contains potato. Liquidised potato - YUCK!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

I've never tried sieving soup but would like too. I think liquidised soup is rank, especially if the soup contains potato. Liquidised potato - YUCK!

I doubt you'd like sieved soup either then...sieving and liquidising are different methods of pureeing that produce the same result. Puree

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Seomra Mushie

I doubt you'd like sieved soup either then...sieving and liquidising are different methods of pureeing that produce the same result. Puree

Sieving wouldn't break the particles down as small as blending. The article you linked includes things like mash potato which I like and find much nicer than liquidised potato. Pressed, ground and pressed I'm fine with, liquidising not so much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

I have been making a roasted vegetable soup lately and the receipe said to blend and then sieve it.
    I did this once (which was a pain in the arse), now I just use the hand blender and there is hardly any difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭settings

..or you can just use a blendtec blender ;)
    it minces the seeds on strawberries into about a thousand different pieces:cool:

I just googled blendtec blender and having looked at the video it seems clear to me that the blendtec blender has quite a superiority complex!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Park Royal

I was reading an old soup/ sauce recipe book " Soups and Sauces"

( about 30 years old) and for some of the

soup recipes it listed , putting in a teaspoon of sugar........

recent soup recipes don't do that.....have to admit it does round off

the taste and improve the flavour IMHO...

Advertisement