Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's this bug

Options
  • 25-01-2012 10:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭

Sorry I don't have a photo. Basically they look like tiny green caterpillars. I spotted them on different plants before but today I found lots when I gave my strawberry plants a look over. They seem to spin a web across a leaf and pull the two sides in tight and then hide inside. They are REALLY frisky when you disturb them. Any ideas?
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Probably moth caterpillars

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Thanks Mothman. Are they something I should be worried about for fruit/veg?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

redser7 wrote: »
    Thanks Mothman. Are they something I should be worried about for fruit/veg?
    In my opinion I'd be more worried about any treatment than the pest.

With the activity in the middle of winter I have my suspicions that it may be Epiphyas postvittana (Light Brown Apple Moth) Unfortunate english name because its far from confined to apples and I see it on loads of plants. It makes a mess of my Bay and I've found it in Peaches but it has not been a big problem
    It is a non native species first recorded in Ireland in 1998 and is now recorded in large numbers in some gardens. It's native home is Australia!

It is possible that it is another species.

Are you located near south or eastern coast?

Thanks again. I'm on the eastcoast. I'll try take a picture if I come across it again.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Mothman wrote: »
    In my opinion I'd be more worried about any treatment than the pest.

With the activity in the middle of winter I have my suspicions that it may be Epiphyas postvittana (Light Brown Apple Moth) Unfortunate english name because its far from confined to apples and I see it on loads of plants. It makes a mess of my Bay and I've found it in Peaches but it has not been a big problem
    It is a non native species first recorded in Ireland in 1998 and is now recorded in large numbers in some gardens. It's native home is Australia!

It is possible that it is another species.

Are you located near south or eastern coast?
    You used to be able to get a sticky goo to spread around the trunk of fruit trees to stop the ascent of unwanted critters.
    Maybe you can still get it and maybe there are homemade alternatives.

• Advertisement

Thanks. Yeah I heard of using grease on apple trees. Hopefully it won't get to epidemic proportions :-)

Advertisement