Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

E-cig as a present...

Options
  • 25-01-2012 10:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭

Im looking to buy my mam an e-cig for her birthday and Ive been looking on the vapourstore.ie and here for reccomendations but as a non smoker Im finding it all a bit confusing to be honest...
    She smokes 10-15 a day depending on stress levels, has for twenty years and her cigararette of choice is Silk Cut Ultra which I think is fairly weak so not sure what mg to go for. I know she would like one that was tobacco flavoured and looked like a real cigarette shape and size as kuch as possible but theres so many models and talk of battery life and atomizers etc Im feeling outta my depth. Any tips on a good starter kit I could get? Max budget 70 but cheaper if possible in case its not for her...
    Thanks!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭achieve

The 510 variations are most similar to normal cigarettes. Having said that there is another issue you raise here, and that is that of buying an ecigarette as a present for somebody. I know of 3 people who were bought e cigs as a present, with the hope from the giver that the person stops smoking. In each case this didn't happen (yet!). I think that for the ecig to be sucessful it is the actual smoker themselves who needs to make the decision to try them, and do all the associated research and tinkering about. My tuppence worth....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Neil_Sedaka

Hi, I'd suggest this for €35 (probably the white version)

It's a V good starter kit and also get a 30ml bottle of 18mg e-liquid (flavour is up to you/her)

There's a bit of a learning curve to starting, so ask questions here and also use youtube for advice on filling, cleaning and maintenance.

Hope you go through with it and she enjoys it enough to persevere.

Anyone else? feel free to agree or disagree, it's only my suggestion ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭derra

The 510 seems to be a popular choice starting off for the older generation so to speak.
    Although if ya live in Dublin, might be an idea to bring your Ma over to this vendor and possibly buy this one...
    http://www.e-cigireland.com/electronic-cigarette-starter-kits.html
    Good few users said she is very helpful and will explain how it works etc

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Hunter Mahan

I have been vaping for a while and while abroad I had the opportunity to purchase ego tank/tornado tank starter kits at a reasonable price. Seizing the opportunity for myself (spare parts etc) I also grabbed quite a few for family and friends thinking they would jump at it, but they didn't. Hence the reason I've spare parts for swap/sale in above thread.

The point is, as made by earlier poster, I've learned it's important the smoker wants to quit and more importantly is open to the idea of vaping.

They also have to be slightly technically minded to discover the best e-cig for them, which is often by the process of elimination / research.

Having said that, if you are buying for someone who wants something straightforward, I would definitely recommend the screwdriver mk11 with pre-filled cartridges for the following reasons:

It's bullet proof.
    No messing around with drip tips etc
    very easy to use and long battery life

cons from your point of view:
    it doesn't look like a cigarette

If that works for her then you can move on to tanks etc

But if I were you I would show her some of the video's on youtube before you splash the cash..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Definitely something she has to want to do in the first place, as admirable as your intention is. If she doesn't want to quit smoking, vaping won't convince her.
    Some people love that dirty ashen smell the same way hoarders have a tip of a house, but to them, it's an organised chaos.
    Continue to try mentioning it indirectly, make her familiar.
    But if she's quite old and wouldn't be good with fidgeting around with technical bullshït, forget it, unless you're prepared to do all of it for her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭Azureus

Thanks for all your replies! :)

I have mentioned the idea of them to her in the last month or so, scoping out whether she would be interested or not. A friend of mine uses a black skinny menthol one and has cut down on actual cigs massively since starting it, which is what put the idea in my head. It's not that I want her to quit (well of course I do...) but more I'd like her to try something that would at least encourage her to cut down, and she seemed interested in the concept at least and has said it would be something she'd be willing to try. I actually live near Dublin 5 so I may pop up to that vendor and have a look myself.

She wouldn't be massively technically minded, are they very complicated to use? I don't live with or near her so I wouldn't be there to help her with them aside from the odd time. The one derra listed seems fairly basic, I suppose it might be something to start her off on to see if it's for her... Should I just go for a starter kit or will I need to buy any extras? Is there anything you guys would have liked/needed with your first one?

Also looking closer at the one that was linked above, it says comes with 18mg nicotine-would this be too strong for a Silk Cut Ultra smoker...I dont want to be upgrading her so to speak...

Azureus wrote: »
    Thanks for all your replies! :)

It's not that I want her to quit (well of course I do...) but more I'd like her to try something that would at least encourage her to cut down, and she seemed interested in the concept at least and has said it would be something she'd be willing to try. I actually live near Dublin 5 so I may pop up to that vendor and have a look myself

It's a good present to buy one way or another and for €35 which is less than what she currently spends on cigarettes.
    Yes it would help if she really wants to stop smoking or cut down, though having said there is a good chance that will just happen if she just tries it.
    I would say there is high chance of her cutting down a lot.
    She wouldn't be massively technically minded, are they very complicated to use? I don't live with or near her so I wouldn't be there to help her with them aside from the odd time. The one derra listed seems fairly basic, I suppose it might be something to start her off on to see if it's for her... Should I just go for a starter kit or will I need to buy any extras? Is there anything you guys would have liked/needed with your first one?

I think it would be decent to start off although I'm not recommending any product to ya at the same time.
    Most kits provide 2 batteries and atomisers, spare charger is good to have.
    Will she be charging from a PC or wall, make sure there is an adapter etc.
    She has to realise these things are disposable and will have to replace the parts occasionally.
    The batteries that are 280 mAh would get ya average 2.5-3hrs use.
    650mAh would be 6hrs, 900mAh would be 9 hrs depending on use.
    Also looking closer at the one that was linked above, it says comes with 18mg nicotine-would this be too strong for a Silk Cut Ultra smoker...I don'twant to be upgrading her so to speak...
    Buy an 18mg of tobacco say and 0mg tobacco cutting the strength to 9mg.
    But ya can buy prefilled carts and bottles of juices at various strengths like....0mg-11mg-18mg
    Buying prefilled carts might be ideal for short while before buying own juice.

Could write for ages here to be honest with all the different possibilities and variations you could buy.
    In your case i would keep it simple for now but definitely get something.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭Azureus

Update on this: went to the girl from e-cigireland.com as reccommended by derra (thanks!) and got a great little starter kit, including a case, wall charger and cartridge refills for €35. She talked me through the different options and gave me an idea how to use them, and I feel way more familiar with them now-couldnt reccommend her enough, although will probably need a lot more help along the line if she moves on to more complicated stuff. Hopefully vaping will be for her and she'll stick to it :)

Giving the present tonight so we'll see how we get on. I know some people here wouldnt reccommend giving e-cigs as a present but my two cents is any encouragement/attempt in making it easier to at least cut down is worth it, and there's no harm in trying!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Neil_Sedaka

Best of luck, hope she likes it.

Update on this: went to the girl from e-cigireland.com as reccommended by derra (thanks!) and got a great little starter kit, including a case, wall charger and cartridge refills for €35. She talked me through the different options and gave me an idea how to use them, and I feel way more familiar with them now-couldnt reccommend her enough, although will probably need a lot more help along the line if she moves on to more complicated stuff. Hopefully vaping will be for her and she'll stick to it :)

Giving the present tonight so we'll see how we get on. I know some people here wouldnt reccommend giving e-cigs as a present but my two cents is any encouragement/attempt in making it easier to at least cut down is worth it, and there's no harm in trying!

Good stuff, glad to hear it went well going to the vendor.
    Nothing to lose in trying, give her time to adjust and see how it goes.
    Let us know anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 futurenamer

recently ,I just want start e-cig,any recommendations??、

Advertisement