Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Non-Alcoholic?? Ginger Ale

Options
  • 25-01-2012 11:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭

I've got a Ginger Ale recipe which I've just tried out, I think, but I'm not 100% sure, that it's non-alcoholic. I'd like a second opinion if I may.

It seems to be too basic for alcohol, just dump these ingredients, Sugar, Freshly grated ginger root, Juice of one lemon, Fresh granular baker's yeast, Cold water into a two litre bottle and leave in a warm place for 24-48 hours then refrigerate.

It looks to me, more of a carbonating marinade than a fermentation but my dad was the home brewer in our house.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

There will be at least some alcohol in it, the yeast will produce the CO02 by fermenting the sugar into alcohol.

How strong it will be depends on how much sugar goes in and how long it ferments. The only accurate way to measure would be to use a hydrometer to measure starting and finishing gravity.

Good luck with it and let us know how it goes, I love ginger ale every now and then, but maybe not enough to do a full batch, something like this would be ideal.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭sharingan

To make non-alcoholic fermentables, many people will use something like Splenda to replace the sugar used for sweetness. This will also control the amount of fermentable sugar in the Ginger Ale, possibly putting a ceiling on the level of alcohol.

Advertisement