Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Second Router

• 25-01-2012 11:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

I have recently purchased a new computer and i want to use it in a garage i have converted into an office. My wifi signal is not strong enough for decent speeds and i was wondering if i bought a second router, would i be able to connect it wirelessly to my main router/modem and then connect my pc to the new router with an Ethernet cable? My questions are, Can i connect the routers?, will UPC charge me more?, I have no TV signal connection in the office do i need one for the second router?, is there a specific router that i have to buy?

this is my first thread and all help is greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭alb

Yes, you can get a device to extend the range of your wireless network, it's generally called a repeater.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 General_Robert

thanks. do i need a tv line in to use the repeater?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

thanks. do i need a tv line in to use the repeater?

No this has nothing at all to do with your the cable link coming into the house.

You have been supplied with your bb signal and you now wish to extend that elsewhere so nothing at all to do with a tv link..

Think of an extender as a piece of equipment that "grabs" the wireless signal and pushes it further on.

There are some basic tips here but have a look at number 5.

http://www.microsoft.com/athome/setup/wirelesstips.aspx

Advertisement