Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ripped Off By MS

Options
  • 26-01-2012 12:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭

So last week bought scarygirl on day of release (Jan 18th) I liked the demo so stumped up the 1200 points.

Fast forward exactly one week and when it goes on PsN too, MS drop the price to 800 points :mad:

Pricing mistake I say, no game regardless of how good or bad it is gets a 33% price drop on xbox live unless it's deal of the week or been out ages and gets a price drop. This is a permanent drop ill add not a sale.

Got on to xbox support , and surprise surprise no joy off them, I'll quote the live chat and hide the agents name as they were only doing their job but even I can see the funny side to this conversation.
    Please wait for an agent to respond. You are currently '2' in the queue.

Privacy Statement
    You are now chatting with 'Xbox Support'.

Xbox Support: Good Morning . Thank you for contacting Xbox Customer Support. How are you today?

you: Hi There

Xbox Support: How can I assist you today?

you: Hi , Last week I bought an arcade game called scary girl for 1200 points, that was jan 18th the day it was released. today one week later I see it's only 800 points , I think there was a pricing mistake on it when it was released last week

Xbox Support: I understand your concern. If I understand your issue, you purchased the game at one price and now you see it for less, is that right?

you: correct, I know these things get reduced on sales and things sometimes but the game has only been out for a week :D

Xbox Support: I understand your concern. The item is on sale currently for 800 points.

you: Yes, so I assume it was a mistake at 1200 points last week?

Xbox Support: No. It was not a mistake. The price was 1200 points and the game is on sale at present for 800 points.

you: Games don't usually drop in price by 33% after only one week do they ???? I feel pretty cheated

Xbox Support: Yes. Games do drop in price quite frequently.

Xbox Support: I am sorry you are feeling cheated. It was not our intent but rather a matter of timing.

you: One week after release????

Xbox Support: Yes. It is possible.

you: But it's on sale on playstation network for 9.99 whcih is the 800 point price point on Xbox Live, so this is also why I am sure it was a pricing error

Xbox Support: It was not a pricing error but a price drop. While many games do not drop in price, this particular game dropped in price very quickly.
    (Comedy Gold)

you: Well thats a slap in a face :(

you: I will think more carefully before buying any more games from now on

Xbox Support: I completely understand where you're coming from.

Xbox Support: Is there anything else that I can do for you or are there any other questions that you have?

Xbox Support: I want to thank you for your patience today and for visiting Xbox Customer Support. Have a great rest of your day!

FYI I really had to bite my tongue during this, as she was spouting pure BS but having worked in call centers myself I really didn't see the point to going off on one knowing it would get my noting but more politeness and BS in return.

So what now last I checked on leader boards 700 other suckers are out 400 points??????

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Why didn't you wait a week then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

chin_grin wrote: »
    Why didn't you wait a week then?

I knew someone would say that :D

Sure with hind sight if i waited 2 weeks it might have been free ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

calex71 wrote: »
    I knew someone would say that :D

Sure with hind sight if i waited 2 weeks it might have been free ;)

Mmyep. I know you felt hard done by, but complaining to MS wasn't really the way to go. This sh!t happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭AceCard Jones

This was so a pricing error. They released it at the now usual 1200MSP, seen it on PSN cheaper and had to cut the price to compete. And now they're just hoping that since only a few hundred people downloaded it they can sweep it under the carpet without coughing up any refunds. How exactly is it on sale with no advertising or inclusion in deal of the week etc? Is it a permanent sale? I understand you might of figured it futile to argue with her but they shouldn't be allowed to fob you off either just because they're useless. I'd have asked for a manager or made a phone call.

PS: Is this because I teased you on TA earlier about this? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

This was so a pricing error. They released it at the now usual 1200MSP, seen it on PSN cheaper and had to cut the price to compete. And now they're just hoping that since only a few hundred people downloaded it they can sweep it under the carpet without coughing up any refunds. How exactly is it on sale with no advertising or inclusion in deal of the week etc? Is it a permanent sale? I understand you might of figured it futile to argue with her but they shouldn't be allowed to fob you off either just because they're useless. I'd have asked for a manager or made a phone call.

PS: Is this because I teased you on TA earlier about this? :D

I wouldn't have known otherwise, I don't visit the front page much as my short cut points to my profile

Check this out http://www.xblafans.com/scarygirl-drops-the-price-down-to-800-msp-37310.html
    Major Nelson initially wrote down last week that Scarygirl was going to be 800 MSP but it kept showing up at 1200 MSP. This confused many readers but apparently at the time, it was Major’s mistake and it was 1200 MSP instead. Just today, the price has gone down to its original 800 MSP so it wasn’t Major’s fault but the Marketplace’s fault. No word on what happens if you bought it at 1200 MSP but you can get Scarygirl right now for 800 MSP. Expect a review on the game coming soon on XBLAFans

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Horsebox9000

I wouldn't call it a rip off really, just bad timing.

If I bought a product from a shop, then realised that a week later the shop were selling it for 2 euro cheaper, I wouldn't go back and ask for renumeration of any sort.

Fraid that is just the luck of the buyer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭Spudman_20000

I wouldn't call it a rip off really, just bad timing.

If I bought a product from a shop, then realised that a week later the shop were selling it for 2 euro cheaper, I wouldn't go back and ask for renumeration of any sort.

Fraid that is just the luck of the buyer.

Not really. In a bricks and mortar shop an item has to be listed at a certain price for 28 days before it can be sold at a lower "sale" price.

The Xbox Support agent stated that the item was now on sale for 800 points, 1 week after it went on sale for 1200 points.

Maybe there's not a huge difference in the price, but in principle it's wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,374 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Its simple price match with PSN, MS were probably unaware of the PSN pricing and when it was released MS matched it to be competitive, Its business. And why are you feeling cheated. You paid for it, it worked....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

It was bad timing OP thats all, nothing malicious . They didnt drop the price just to spite those who bought it release day.

We get it , you feel angry at missing out just by sheer luck, everyone unerstands ... but your angry and looking for someone to blame and MS is an easy target for that anger.

I'd like to say stop being childish but thats too harsh, I understand you feel you missed out after all but just chalk it down to unlicky timing and you paid a premium for having a product first as nearly all early adopters do. In future bear in mind if your buying first your usually buying at a higher price, if you want a better deal buy later but you will have to put up with waiting.

Enjoy your game.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Lol you dont go into a shop and start screaming at the shop clerk that you bought socks for 10 euro a week ago and the same socks are 5 euro now and that you got screwed over. Its just Though luck :)

Thanks for the hint on the game though :) Looks good might try it out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Not really. In a bricks and mortar shop an item has to be listed at a certain price for 28 days before it can be sold at a lower "sale" price.

The Xbox Support agent stated that the item was now on sale for 800 points, 1 week after it went on sale for 1200 points.

Maybe there's not a huge difference in the price, but in principle it's wrong.

It only has to be sold at the higher price for 28 days for them to be able to say "Reduced from xxx" or "Previously xxx" etc and I don't believe Microsoft are advertising this as on sale or the previous price. A b&m can reduce the price whenever they want as well (bar restrictions on below cost selling etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭fusuf

Lol you dont go into a shop and start screaming at the shop clerk that you bought socks for 10 euro a week ago and the same socks are 5 euro now and that you got screwed over. Its just Though luck :)

Thanks for the hint on the game though :) Looks good might try it out
    10 quid for a pair of socks? you mad?
    in seriousness I feel that MS knew psn didnt get it till a week later so pulled a sly one and charged extra

• Registered Users Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭-=al=-

€8 for a pack of 10 pairs

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

fusuf wrote: »
    10 quid for a pair of socks? you mad?

Nobody would ever have guess that an XBOX thread would go off topic to talk about socks!!!!

That said, 1000 mile socks cost around 14 quid, for one pair....be hard to get a good pair of running socks for under 10 quid. :pac:

Oh, and only buy XBLA titles on sale now, Never on release.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement