Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gas for Europe

• 26-01-2012 12:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 35

Hi. I was wondering if anyone has a clue about what type of gas cylinders one should use while travelling for a long time through europe. I know about the campingaz option but i find them very expensive (22e for 2.72 kg). Also, i know about the propane reffilable bottles with the remote filling kit. Anyone have any other ideas? thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭niloc1951

Hi. I was wondering if anyone has a clue about what type of gas cylinders one should use while travelling for a long time through europe. I know about the campingaz option but i find them very expensive (22e for 2.72 kg). Also, i know about the propane reffilable bottles with the remote filling kit. Anyone have any other ideas? thanks in advance
    A fixed LPG tank is the best option as gas is available at most filling stations, though Spain can be a bit difficult, the current price in France is in the region of 80 cents per litre, Spain about 62 and Germany about 76.
    Difficulties being allowed to pump can be experiences in some countries, particularly France, with the 'gaslow' type systems unless the bottles are permanently fixed ie. bolted in and the filling point is external ie. not in the gas locker.
    What I do is to carry one French bottle (Totalgas propane) and one Spanish bottle (Repsol propane). I use the Totalgas while in France with the Repsol as backup and visa versa when in Spain, when in other countries I try to seek out depots which will refill, if near Berlin there is a place which will top up part empty bottles. Repsol are also available in France, particularly in the south.
    When at home I have a pair of Calor/Kosangas propane bottles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 razvan_ghetau

niloc1951 wrote: »
    A fixed LPG tank is the best option as gas is available at most filling stations, though Spain can be a bit difficult, the current price in France is in the region of 80 cents per litre, Spain about 62 and Germany about 76.
    Difficulties being allowed to pump can be experiences in some countries, particularly France, with the 'gaslow' type systems unless the bottles are permanently fixed ie. bolted in and the filling point is external ie. not in the gas locker.
    What I do is to carry one French bottle (Totalgas propane) and one Spanish bottle (Repsol propane). I use the Totalgas while in France with the Repsol as backup and visa versa when in Spain, when in other countries I try to seek out depots which will refill, if near Berlin there is a place which will top up part empty bottles. Repsol are also available in France, particularly in the south.
    When at home I have a pair of Calor/Kosangas propane bottles.

Thanks. So I have no option but to get a propane bottle with the bolted filling point on the outside. Is there any danger in using propane in the summer? cant find an answer to that. I know that propane is good for winter and butane for summer. Is that right?

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭HereAndThere

Thanks. So I have no option but to get a propane bottle with the bolted filling point on the outside. Is there any danger in using propane in the summer? cant find an answer to that. I know that propane is good for winter and butane for summer. Is that right?

As far as I can tell propane is the best option in both scenarios. I know the ESB guys here in Ireland abandoned using butane bottles while working as there were a few problems where in winter the butane liquid would not boil into gas when temp was a few deg above 0. They just use propane bottles all year round now as can be seen from the red canisters on the sides of roads when they are working.

Personally this is one of the things about motorhoming I was nervous about at the start. Thanks to some tips from the guys here I have a system in place.

German autogaz propane bottle, french totalgaz bottle and irish calor propane bottle for at home. Like niloc1951 I switch between which ones depending on where i'm going.

I have a spare german bottle if anyone wants it ?

Another THREAD to have a goo at.

There is a place in bray that will fill almost any bottle for you.

Here is a link to the differences between propane and butane.

Hope this helps somehow.

Interesting story about gas and motorhoming across europe story

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 razvan_ghetau

As far as I can tell propane is the best option in both scenarios. I know the ESB guys here in Ireland abandoned using butane bottles while working as there were a few problems where in winter the butane liquid would not boil into gas when temp was a few deg above 0. They just use propane bottles all year round now as can be seen from the red canisters on the sides of roads when they are working.

Personally this is one of the things about motorhoming I was nervous about at the start. Thanks to some tips from the guys here I have a system in place.

German autogaz propane bottle, french totalgaz bottle and irish calor propane bottle for at home. Like niloc1951 I switch between which ones depending on where i'm going.

I have a spare german bottle if anyone wants it ?

Another THREAD to have a goo at.

There is a place in bray that will fill almost any bottle for you.

Here is a link to the differences between propane and butane.

Hope this helps somehow.

Interesting story about gas and motorhoming across europe story

Thanks for the info. very helpful. appreciate it. i think im gonna go for the lpg reffilable tank with the remote filling system

Advertisement