Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC troubleshoting - Apparent failure of brand new XFX Radeon 6850HD

Options
  • 26-01-2012 12:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭

Strange video card problem - wondering if anyone has any ideas. friend has had a brand new video card (XFX Radeon 6850HD) she installed on Monday fail this evening.

This is the exact same thing that happend to her old video card a couple of weeks ago. The card was installed properly and my friend is experienced with building PC's. Before it is asked, appropriate precautions against static were taken with a conductive wristband.

I thinking something might be up with the PSU and it is sending a voltage spike which is frying the video cards, but no other part of the system appears to be damaged.

Anyone any ideas of what the fault may be?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭superneat

Stupid question maybe, but here goes...Have you tried the card in another system?
    Also..
    What is the power supply unit? Is it old? Does it have enough grunt to power the card??

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭MsStroggatrix

We haven't tried the card in another system yet for logistiscal reasons. We will on Saturday.

AFAIK the power supply is suitable - I think it is a 500 or 600W supply.

The card was working fine for a few days - I'd expect it not to work at all if the supply was a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

its apparent wattage isn't good enough to rule it out. I've seen some 600W psus that are really only 350W, which is a bit ridiculous, and also too little for an OCd 6850, which most XFX models are.

which specific psu is it? you really need to test the card out in another machine before you can make any assumptions.

@Tea_Bag - Don't get me started on badly made power supplies - I have some experience of repairing switchers in TV's and I've built a few prototype ones (obviously not to plug into my PC) myself :)!

I instantly suspected the graphics card or PSU when the old one went as the system still switches on. A PC repair shop suggested replacing the card when asked about what it could be.

I'm wondering if there is a fault with the motherboard now.

It is just really odd that a brand new card has apparently completely failed in a similar fashion to the old one - obviously when I get it into another machine to test I'll confirm.

The PSU in this PC is a Corsair 750W.

If the PSU is not adequate I would have thought the card would just switch itself off rather than be destroyed :confused:. The machine isn't even going to POST.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

What was the old graphics card if you don't mind me asking?

• Advertisement

The old card was a Gainward Radeon HD 4870 512MB.

I've had problems with Gainward cards before myself.

I'm returning both of the 6850 HD cards I got to dabs now. Both wouldn't work, really strange.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

Strange video card problem - wondering if anyone has any ideas. friend has had a brand new video card (XFX Radeon 6850HD) she installed on Monday fail this evening.

This is the exact same thing that happend to her old video card a couple of weeks ago. The card was installed properly and my friend is experienced with building PC's. Before it is asked, appropriate precautions against static were taken with a conductive wristband.

I thinking something might be up with the PSU and it is sending a voltage spike which is frying the video cards, but no other part of the system appears to be damaged.

Anyone any ideas of what the fault may be?

ATI 6850/6870 require a fair bit of power and have one or two power sockets integrated onto the card. Without the power cable plugged in your gcards wont work properly.

if the psu is indeed spiking then replace the psu asap as it maybe starting to fail...... chances are the spike is going through the power cable from the psu into the gcard's power socket

dont buy a cheap psu either they are rubbish... get a good quaility one with at least 750watts or better.

@Nothingbetter2d - Yes, both computers have decent PSU units. One was a Corsair the other and Enermax.

Anyway this is a non issue now, dabs are taking the cards back.

Advertisement