Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Student Hub

• 26-01-2012 1:27am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 719 ✭✭✭

at the class council today we got a presentation about the proposed student hub that is going to be built over the next two years. its going to be around 5,300 m^2, 3,500 new build and 1,800 refurbishment of the windle building., with the new build being placed between the windle and the kane. its going to be a 'one stop' location for all student services like, admissions, mature student, ulink and most of the other services, besides a handfull. it will provide spaces and 'pods' to encourage teamwork and the sort. also multi purpose rooms. there are plans as well to have some kind of event room in the building. but its in the planning process and no images or drawings have been made, all facts and figures. but they are looking for as much student involvement in the project as possible. as 10 of the proposed 23 million is essentially our money. so yeah leave your thoughts on the hub, and if you want contact one of the student union officers with your ideas. I think they should use the west wing as a museum about the colleges history, when they move the services from the first floor.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22 Liona

I actually think they should leave all the admissions, finances etc were they are or maybe move them closer together where possible (eg move the international office up onto main campus) but therefore rather put all the student support services in the HUB like the students union, the clubs, peer support...etc
    still like the idea of having an info desk there that should be able to direct u to the right offices/places for your inquiry (even though they might not all be located in the HUB)

and seriously just imagine having the admissions office and the finances office queue combined... u gonna be waiting for hours :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Cuddlytroll

Liona wrote: »
    I actually think they should leave all the admissions, finances etc were they are or maybe move them closer together where possible (eg move the international office up onto main campus) but therefore rather put all the student support services in the HUB like the students union, the clubs, peer support...etc
    still like the idea of having an info desk there that should be able to direct u to the right offices/places for your inquiry (even though they might not all be located in the HUB)

and seriously just imagine having the admissions office and the finances office queue combined... u gonna be waiting for hours :eek:

I could not agree with this more. There is huge potential for collaboration between student run student support (clubs, socs, union, media etc) and also with staff run student supports (accommodation, counselling, student financial advisor, careers, international students). These would all benefit hugely from being under one roof. Having administration under one roof doesn't help anyone much apart from the administration staff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Eh, wasn't this what Aras an MacLeinn / Devere Hall was supposed to be??

It's a nice idea but, I'm not really understanding why the space in the student centre couldn't be made available to students. It seems to run as a mini mall with conferencing facilities. Other than the SU offices and UCC 98.3 / Cork Campus Radio it seems devoid of actual student space.

I'd wonder if the money couldn't be better spent on something more useful ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Eliot Rosewater

calnand wrote: »
    I think they should use the west wing as a museum about the colleges history, when they move the services from the first floor.

I think this is a really good idea! Architecturally the West Wing is lovely. I think there's some basements in there too, but that could be the East Wing. Either way, it'd be nice to have a museum thing that wound through the corridors, so as you walked through the nice rooms you read about things.

If you were around UCC when it all the facilities moved it would be worth pressing it. UCC has a dedicated curator I think. I think there's a lot of scope there too - you cold arguably have a whole (small) museam about George Boole alone!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22 Liona

If you were around UCC when it all the facilities moved it would be worth pressing it.

well thats not happening until december 2014 which is when they are supposed to finish building the hub...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭flo8s967qjh0nd

I agree with Solair. Isn't student space supposed to be what the student centre is for? A mini-mall with conferencing facilities is a really great way of describing it. Apart from the radio station it serves no real purpose for students other than a way of extracting money from them.

The idea of a place where centralised student services could be offered (admissions, finance, etc.) is an interesting one.

In the early years of UCC, a museum and library was located in the North Wing of the Quad. The collection of natural history, geological, historical items was, by all accounts very impressive. Just some of these collections remain, dispersed through various departments and much in storage. It would be wonderful to see them back in a purpose-built museum space once again.

I firmly believe that most adminstrative offices should be moved out of the North and West wings and it be returned to teaching and museum uses. We live in hope!

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Cuddlytroll

Solair wrote: »
    Eh, wasn't this what Aras an MacLeinn / Devere Hall was supposed to be??

It's a nice idea but, I'm not really understanding why the space in the student centre couldn't be made available to students. It seems to run as a mini mall with conferencing facilities. Other than the SU offices and UCC 98.3 / Cork Campus Radio it seems devoid of actual student space.

I'd wonder if the money couldn't be better spent on something more useful ?

Yeah it's what it was supposed to be, but it's not. Student money built it and it is now a commercial entity run by the university. the SU offices aren't located there, it's just the radio station. We need to make sure that doesn't happen again and make sure that we get what students want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,009 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Tbf, there are rooms you can book in the Student Centre.

Also,in regards to the Student Hub. That seems to be in planning for ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 614 ✭✭✭blankblank

titan18 wrote: »
    Tbf, there are rooms you can book in the Student Centre.

Also,in regards to the Student Hub. That seems to be in planning for ever.

Not really,, i tried to book a room there recently to practice a group presentation and was told I wouldnt be able to unless I was on a society committee

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,009 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Davie89 wrote: »
    Not really,, i tried to book a room there recently to practice a group presentation and was told I wouldnt be able to unless I was on a society committee

Sometimes they say that, but I find some staff will leave you book a room

• Advertisement
Advertisement