Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Photo for Pet Passport!!

• 26-01-2012 1:31am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭

Hi! I'm getting my dog a pet passport tomorrow; have the shots scheduled & the form filled out. But: I can choose to have a photo or not! Has anyone done this & regretted it? & do you really have to provide. A 6cm X 4cm dog shot or will they resize a normal one for you!
    Thanks!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Ronnie Beck

Hi! I'm getting my dog a pet passport tomorrow; have the shots scheduled & the form filled out. But: I can choose to have a photo or not! Has anyone done this & regretted it? & do you really have to provide. A 6cm X 4cm dog shot or will they resize a normal one for you!
    Thanks!!!

I imagine its a backup to id the animal. How much did it cost you altogether? going to be getting it done soon,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

You've to conform to a few things ; so the cost will depend on what you need to have done & : what continent you are visiting & then depending on the rules of where you go you will incur other vet fees on the exit from the country you are visiting ; so it's not straightforward!!!!
    The actual passport thing itself is free; it's meeting the terms & conditions that builds up the cost!!! The vet will stamp it to confirm your pet is checked & conforms to the requirements .

Compiling all the up to date info is like herding cats.

It didn't help that the Dept of Agriculture etc firm specifies a 4x6cm shot Or your app will be rejected ; & provides an " insert here within the lines" box which measures 4.5cm X 5.5 cm

Very Irish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Ronnie Beck

You've to conform to a few things ; so the cost will depend on what you need to have done & : what continent you are visiting & then depending on the rules of where you go you will incur other vet fees on the exit from the country you are visiting ; so it's not straightforward!!!!
    The actual passport thing itself is free; it's meeting the terms & conditions ghat us the cost!!!

It didn't help that the Dept of Agriculture etc firm specifies a 4x6cm shot ; & provides an " insert here within the lines" box which measures 4.5cm X 5.5 cm
    Very Irish

I was chatin to a lad before who got one said it set him back 3/400 quid. He must have meant vets fees etc. Does that sound about right. I have two dogs:(. hope it doesn't work out to be 800 quid. I plan on headin to france in the van for a month or so. I know they changed the law on the first of jan

Hi Ronnie!!!
    No it shouldn't!!!! I'd been told by my vets assistant when I asked back in July that it was expensive about e300; but when I asked again last week she said the system had changed & you now no longer needed to get the rabies TESTS and that this & all the labwork going to the UZk for them by registered post was a big factor in the costs so it's NOT that kind of money anymore!!!
    I was thinking of heading to London or France with the dog. For both you need the passport & the rabies SHOTS ( & a few other conditions) . For France thou you cannot travel unless your pet has had the rabies shot at least 6 weeks before you try to enter the country or they will not let the dog in.
    Apparently!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

new laws that are EU wide.

Rabies vaccination has to be given 21days before travel, no blood test is now required.

You don't need a pet passport to travel between UK and Ireland, as Dept of Ag and the UK DEFRA have said they won't be enforcing the rules between the two countries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Im still going to get a passport for my dogs just in case. Im going to Crufts in March and im going to get one for Cooper just to be on the safe side as you just never know.
    I know it says they wont be enforcing it, but it still says by law they are meant to have one so im just not taking a chance. Id hate to be turned away at the ferry port when im on my way to Crufts!! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

andreac wrote: »
    Id hate to be turned away at the ferry port when im on my way to Crufts!! :eek:

Or worse - on the way back! :eek: Anyhow - you can still travel out of/into NI as its all within the UK.

It's 6 weeks for France NOT 21 days.
    And the law has changed in line with EU legislation since 1st Jan. All you need is one p>|€¥ look for you to prove, fir example, that you havnt stepped off the Chunnel from France & it's game over. And all you need is one officious troublemaker. And the uk has brought this legislation in too; effective jan1 2012.

It's 6 weeks for France NOT 21 days.
    And the law has changed in line with EU legislation since 1st Jan. All you need is one p>|€¥ look for you to prove, fir example, that you havnt stepped off the Chunnel from France & it's game over. And all you need is one.

If its an EU law, i.e.throughout the EU, how is France different?

I know it changed on 1st January. I don't understand what you mean by your last comment.

We travelled back from the UK on 4th January with 4 dogs. Stopped at the port in Wales as always - white van syndrome - saw the dogs, nothing different from any other time we've travelled over.

• Advertisement

This is from the Dept of Ag website:

From the 1st January 2012 there will be harmonised conditions for pet dogs, cats and ferrets that travel throughout the entire EU, including Ireland. Pets entering Ireland from the EU will require:
    Passport/certificate showing identification
    Subsequent rabies vaccination at least 21 days before entry
    Specific tapeworm treatment of all pet dogs
    Pets travelling from other qualifying (low risk) countries can also travel into Ireland on the same conditions as set out above.
    Pet entry requirements into Ireland from the UK:
    From the 1st January 2012 the requirement is that all pets travelling from the UK to Ireland should be microchipped and accompanied by a pet passport.
    As both Ireland and the UK have had no indigenous rabies for many decades, compliance checks on pets travelling between the two countries will not be applied. Pet owners travelling with their pets should therefore not experience any change on the ground from the 1st January.
    Pets travelling from other non-qualifying (high risk) countries can also travel into Ireland without quarantine provided the pet has a passport/certificate showing identification and a subsequent rabies vaccination. At least 30 days after rabies vaccination a pet must be blood tested to confirm a neutralising antibody titration at least equal to 0.5 IU/ml. A pet may enter Ireland only when at least three months has expired since a successful blood-test.

No mention of anything different for France, and it is in the list of complying Eu countries on the DEFRA UK site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭tatabubbly

Is it only the rabies shot they ask for or proof of the other shots as well, ie the parvo vaccines and subsiquent boosters??

France is not a low risk county. It has rabies.

France is not a low risk county. It has rabies.

But France is part of the EU, and has land borders with other EU countries, so if France is treated differently, then so would other EU countries within the European land mass.

This is the link to the DEFRA site in the UK, and as Ireland and the UK are rabies free, and have the non-implementation stance, the rules are the same.

http://www.defra.gov.uk/wildlife-pets/pets/travel/pets/countries/eu-countries/

O ; you'd better take it up with your TD so. I'll be following the terms outlined to me by the officials in theD of Ag pet passport division & the advise of my vet.

6 months quarantine is not something I intend to gamble with for my pet.

O ; you'd better take it up with your TD so. I'll be following the terms outlined to me by the officials in theD of Ag pet passport division & the advise of my vet.

6 months quarantine is not something I intend to gamble with for my pet.

You haven't quoted anything, but I'm guessing thats aimed at me?

I've cut and pasted the information from the Dept of Ag site in an earlier post, which is what people are going off. Are you saying that you have been given other information by DAFF? Is it somewhere else on their site?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Emma UK

Hi there - I saw your thread about taking dogs between Republic of Ireland and England/Wales and have a question!

My dogs had their rabies jab yesterday but we plan on coming to ireland next week which isn't good as you're meant to wait 21 days... but I thought Ireland didn't need a pet passport hence why I've done it so late...

My questions is whether you guys have heard of people having problems getting back into the UK or being stopped? I know the standard info from Defra, i.e. I may get stopped and the dogs may get quarantined but I wondered if you had more "on the ground" info as you have been across to crufts etc?

many thanks

Emma

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Emma UK wrote: »
    Hi there - I saw your thread about taking dogs between Republic of Ireland and England/Wales and have a question!

My dogs had their rabies jab yesterday but we plan on coming to ireland next week which isn't good as you're meant to wait 21 days... but I thought Ireland didn't need a pet passport hence why I've done it so late...

My questions is whether you guys have heard of people having problems getting back into the UK or being stopped? I know the standard info from Defra, i.e. I may get stopped and the dogs may get quarantined but I wondered if you had more "on the ground" info as you have been across to crufts etc?

many thanks

Emma

You can travel between Ireland and the uk freely, theres no passport or rabies shots needed as we're both a rabies free country.

I go to the UK all the time with my dogs to shows and i or any of my friend have never been stopped at the ferry so you have nothing to worry about. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Emma UK

Thanks for your replies. Unfortunately the law changed in January and the official line from Defra is that you must have a Pet Passport (incl. rabies jab) when travelling from England to RoI. But as you said, both countries are rabies free, so I am trying to get information from people who do the route regularly as to whether I risk it!

Thanks Andrea and Zapperzy :-)

• Advertisement

Emma UK wrote: »
    Thanks for your replies. Unfortunately the law changed in January and the official line from Defra is that you must have a Pet Passport (incl. rabies jab) when travelling from England to RoI. But as you said, both countries are rabies free, so I am trying to get information from people who do the route regularly as to whether I risk it!

Thanks Andrea and Zapperzy :-)

Emma i do the route regularly and i dont have passports for my dogs. I go to a lot of shows in the UK as do my friends and they have never been stopped either. Im going to shows over the next few weeks too and i dont have passports for my dogs.
    If you read the info, it says it wont be enforced so no need to worry.

Advertisement