Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rerun to fly tying

Options
  • 26-01-2012 2:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 36

I gave up tying flies nearly 15 years ago as I couldn't find the time, recently I dug out my fly tying gear and was surprised to see it appears perfect. My question is should I replace any of it and what's likely to have stood the test of time and now be of use, I have the usual seals furs, capes etc and threads and tinsils, I plan to buy new stuff but would hate to throw out the old stuff it was usable. I suspect it's probally all ok except the threads. Thanks in advance, apologies for misprint in title

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

dont throw any of it out. i have lots of fly tying materials that are over 20 years old and as good as the day they were bought. if your materials were kept indoors in a dry damp free environment they should be spot on. if they were subjected to dampness a good inspection is in order. but you have said they are look good so i bet they are fine to use.

always keep fly-tying materials indoors at room temp, never put them in a shed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 The ally cat

dont throw any of it out. i have lots of fly tying materials that are over 20 years old and as good as the day they were bought. if your materials were kept indoors in a dry damp free environment they should be spot on. if they were subjected to dampness a good inspection is in order. but you have said they are look good so i bet they are fine to use.

always keep fly-tying materials indoors at room temp, never put them in a shed.

Thanks

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

I agree with IBD.
    Cripes don't throw any of it out.
    Some fly tiers would give their eye teeth for real seal's fur.
    If your threads are silk, there is a chance that they will have gone brittle.

Even a bit of damp is not too bad for fur and feather - if it was, the flies wouldn't be much good under water.
    It won't affect the feathers themselves, but it can affect the skin they're attached to.
    I had a Jungle Cock cape attacked by bugs once; they made a mess of the skin but the feathers were fine.
    If the skin has been well preserved (Borax. I think) they should last forever and a day.

You should inspect your hooks very carefully before using them.

..........sneaks off to check that everything is ok in the fly tying cabinet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

Thanks

you are welcome.

Advertisement