Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Think there was an Earthquake about 1:15am Thu 26th Jan

Options
  • 26-01-2012 2:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭

As per title I think there was an Earthquake about 1:15am last night/this morning Thu 26th Jan

Anyone have any ska to report about it?
    It was like a super long bit of Thunder, I could hear some stuff shake in my room as well.

Guess the media will have some reports tomorrow.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

Not sure about an earthquake but i heard a long rumble i assumed it was thunder but didn't sound all that close. It did last unusually long.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

Yea heard this as well but didnt actually feel any shaking, assumed it was thunder :/

I am now sleeping in the bath :P

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭jimmad

I heard it to in letterkenny very unusual thought there was a plane overhead

Nothing showing up here....http://www.emsc-csem.org/Earthquake/europe/ I still reckon thunder ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Local seismograph at Inch Island here, nothing showing up

http://seiscomp.cp.dias.ie/slmon/gifs/IDGL.active.gif

A plane by any chance?

There were a few really low lying planes earlier which I thought unusual enough to spend 20 minutes on the internet trying to find out what was going on. Didn't notice anything at 1.15am but there were a few planes earlier so assume it was another one?

Edit: Actually looking at that seismograph there is a slight reading at around 1.10am, doesn't look like an obvious earthquake to me but I have no idea to be honest!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭RandomAccess

Maybe someone put Concorde back in service for one night only.

Odd anyway.

Maybe someone put Concorde back in service for one night only.

Odd anyway.

Wasn't a plane, I'm almost sure of that it was a constant level of noise, not like a plane passing at all where it starts vague gets loud then vague again, it was constant. I still think thunder, didn't notice any lightening though.

Taken from the Donegal Weather channel on facebook....
    DWC wrote:
    SEVERE THUNDER STORM SHAKES PEOPLE OUT OF THERE BEDS IN DONEGAL
    26/1/12 -- 2:05AM

In Donegal this morning at around 1:15AM there has be reports of a large tremor that has shook house's in they areas of Letterkenny, kilmacrenan, Buncrana, Ramelton, Raphoe, Carrigart, Downings and other parts of north Donegal.

One woman write to the Donegal weather channel saying "people are freaked out by this can you tell us more on what it is" she also said "every friggin dog in the street is going mad" this was due to a large bang of thunder that left people freaked out all over the north Donegal area.

So beware and tie your self's to the bed so you don't fall out if there is any more

Kenneth Mc Donagh from the Donegal weather channel

Although people from all over the county saying they heard it. Surely one rumble of thunder couldn't be heard county wide could it? Kenneth (the guy on donegal weather channel) said he is going to ring Dublin to see if they know anything because people are freaking out over it :p

Lightning radar here, nothing anywhere near Letterkenny so we can discount that

sfna1v.gif

I'm in Glencar and never heard a thing which doesn't make much sense if everyone else did..?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,833 ✭✭✭Hijpo

Harps wrote: »

sfna1v.gif

I'm in Glencar and never heard a thing which doesn't make much sense if everyone else did..?

Im in waterford an Just got woken by the loudest hail stone shower iv ever heard in my life. Is there a HAARP station anywhere near ye?? :-p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭RandomAccess

Harps wrote: »

sfna1v.gif

I'm in Glencar and you must be deaf :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭donegal_road

didnt hear anything here, Twin towns area

I didn't hear anything but after a bit of investigating it seems to have been an earthquake going by the slight spike at the Inch Island seismograph here

35957992.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭allquestions

I wondered the same but didn't want to ask the question when there was nothing else mentioned about it. Heard/felt it too, couldn't figure out what it was!? Tomorrow will tell I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Isn't Donegal connected to the Great Glen fault line in Scotland?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

well i heard and felt nothing!

although i am quite a heavy sleeper. people at work this morning though were convinced that it was an earthquake.

Looking at the inch island station and its little blip are these measurments taken on the ground or below?

just thinking that if the thunder was loud enough to shake things could it have shaken the sensor

Or maybe it was a near miss by a comet, or the plummeting top secret space station that was knocked off course by disruption caused by solar flares. They hit the self destruct button which caused it to destroy itself by loudly shaking itself to pieces

from berkeley uni

I just felt shaking. Was it an earthquake?
    Maybe. Or maybe not. A lot of other things besides earthquakes can cause local shaking - trucks driving by, thunder, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭theblueirish

I heard both of them in Lifford, I though it was a convoy of big trucks or something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭hootietootie

We were in bed and heard it as well-didn't know what it was but it woke me from my almost slumber.
    http://quakes.bgs.ac.uk/earthquakes/recent_events/20120126010334.html#page=summary

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭donegal_road

it was a small earthquake according to this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭firemansam4

Highland Radio reporting an earthquake 2.2 on Richter Scale, seems like it was a Tremor guys.

Didn't feel anything myself although I am a heavy sleeper sometimes, prob sleep through a 6.6 Tremor! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭colonel-yum-yum

6174a.jpg

what about the ones that jump on boards!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,035 ✭✭✭✭dvcireland

http://www.earthquakes.bgs.ac.uk/

Several residents of the area of Buncrana have reported feeling this earthquake.

"...no Joe, you rang me !..." A.Caller.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭madalig12

I felt it too, my dog went mental downstairs. I thought thunder at first but there were hardly any clouds, maybe a plane but didn't see a fireball anywhere around so just went to bed thinking wtf was that?? Cool my first earthquake!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,587 ✭✭✭Penfailed

I, too, thought it was thunder...until I heard about the earthquake this morning :D

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭mamakevf

I'm in Portsalon and it rattled the windows and doors as if a large truck was driving past.
    Thought it was just a loud thunder crack, but looked out and there wasn't a cloud in sight, just the stars and realised it most likely was an earthquake.
    There is a fault line running from Knockalla all the way to Killybegs and I think there was a quake a couple of years ago as well in the same area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭the_pits

430450_10150732483068747_841248746_12263868_1655576022_n.jpg

Advertisement