Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you do when a customer lies about you in their complaints?

Options
  • 26-01-2012 2:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Okay, I currently have a situation at work that just happened the other day. Please read if you don't mind, because I'm quite upset about this and in this economy, I truly *need* my job. I'd be very happy to hear any advice or suggestions people have about where to go from here. The situation is this:

Recently, my boss took me aside during work one day and told me that the district manager of our store called her in a very angry mood. Apparently, she received a complaint from a customer saying that I would not check a price on something for them, that I basically brushed them off, and that they heard me rudely tell another nearby customer to "move out of the way". When my boss told me this, I was shocked, as I don't recall ever talking to a customer like that -- not only because I always make sure to be helpful, but because the way that the customer phrased my words sounds completely unlike something I would say. I honestly just know that this complaint is very strange and shady -- not to just me, but to other co-workers too.

Also, this complaint against me was filed very recently, when I haven't actually been to work in quite a few days (family-related problems). Luckily, I have a good relationship with my boss and the first thing she told me when she took me aside is that she doesn't believe that I did this, as she knows me well enough to know my personality. However, she did say that the district manager told her to "talk" to me and to give me a "Note of Action" form to sign with me explaining the incident, and confirming I'd been talked to. Needless to say, I signed the form. I had no choice.

The district manager also told my boss that this is not the first time that I've gotten "complaints" from customers, and that I've caused "problems" before in the past. However, I know this is likely not true because for one, never have I been pulled aside except this time, and two, my employee "file" (or record) at this store is completely clean. No write-ups, no complaints. Nothing. My boss told me this herself, so honestly, I'm not sure how I've caused problems in the past. It frankly sounds like a load of bull.

The second part of this is that I'm apparently not the only one that is being complained about from customers, as my boss had a customer call corporate over a "rude" situation yesterday that she never recalls happening, as well as a customer complaining about another "rude" employee who works there. When I heard of all this, I was surprised, because the people I work with are kind people who are hard-workers...

The thing is -- and this is a pretty damn big thing -- the district manager is NOTORIOUS for being difficult to work with. She is very strict and doesn't seem to think about discussing problems over with her employees. She calls some of her employees "stupid" to their faces (not me), and is very eager to jump on their backs without any investigating. I understand that the customer is the most important, but surely she isn't naive enough to think that every customer complaint is completely true. She has to know that some of them are just plain difficult. She's always been this way for years though, and everyone who works in the area agrees about her rude behavior. In fact, they avoid her when they can because of it.

More to the point, I feel as if there is something slightly shady going on, with all of these complaints being told to corporate lately... but again, with the district manager being the way she is, I hardly think she will listen to her own employees who insist that some customers are exaggerating situations and reporting them. The thing I'm most nervous about is that my boss was told that if I get another "complaint", I could get terminated. Yes, terminated. I need my job very much right now, and I don't want to lose it over customers who have a damn chip on their shoulder and decide to "lie" in their complaints about me. Needless to say, I'm frustrated. I want to do something to prevent this, but what?

Has anyone ever dealt with this before, lying customers? Any advice from anyone would be appreciated, as this is really bugging the hell out of me...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I suspect the 'customers' don't exist. The district manager is attempting to 'turnover' employees.

This is potentially a constructive dismissal situation. You would be well advised to keep a diary of events.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

However, she did say that the district manager told her to "talk" to me and to give me a "Note of Action" form to sign with me explaining the incident, and confirming I'd been talked to. Needless to say, I signed the form. I had no choice.

Gentle Coast - first thing I would do is get my hands on your employee handbook, especially the disciplinary procedures. You should find out exactly what they consider a "note of action" to be. If it's a disciplinary thing, you have the right to the following.
    That employee grievances are fairly examined and processed;

• That details of any allegations or complaints are put to the employee concerned;

• That the employee concerned is given the opportunity to respond fully to any such allegations or complaints;

• That the employee concerned is given the opportunity to avail of the right to be represented during the procedure;

• That the employee concerned has the right to a fair and impartial determination of the issues concerned, taking into account any representations made by, or on behalf of, the employee and any other relevant or appropriate evidence, factors or circumstances.

I think that you should make sure you know exactly what it is you signed (i.e. have you now been officially disciplined?), and if you were - were you afforded your rights as listed above?
    Victor wrote: »
    I suspect the 'customers' don't exist. The district manager is attempting to 'turnover' employees.

This is potentially a constructive dismissal situation. You would be well advised to keep a diary of events.

Constructive dismissal is if the OP chooses to leave because of the conditions, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Eoin wrote: »
    Constructive dismissal is if the OP chooses to leave because of the conditions, no?

Or if they feel they have to resign, 'cos otherwise they'll get fired.

I've been pondering this one.

Part of me thinks it would be a good idea to ask for a copy of the complaints, in writing - 'cos this would prove whether or not they exist. But if they don't it backs the DM into a corner.

Another part thinks to involve HR ASAP.

But I'm not sure what the right approach might be.

JustMary wrote: »
    Or if they feel they have to resign, 'cos otherwise they'll get fired.

Agreed, but my point was constructive dismissal does not apply to "termination". If it comes to the EAT, the burden of proof is on the employee.

But if they do the OP go, then they will have to be able to prove that the OP was afforded the rights that I listed above during the disciplinary process (which a "note of action" sounds like).

So, as I said, I think the first step is to pin down exactly what happened. What was this note that was signed with regards to their policies.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I agree it sounds like the district manager is trying to shake up the store ans is using all this to see what action the store manager takes. She probably knows the store manager has a good relationship with their staff, but she thinks its too good.

From the other side, if this happens where I work, the full details of the incident excluding the customers name and address are attached to a 'meeting record' The issue is conveyed to the member of staff and they are given a chance to comment. If it is to further then a further meeting is convened and the process starts, if not the record is just filed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Irish_Elect_Eng

I think that the 'note of action' is simply a record of a verbal warning.

This is normally the second step on many companies disciplinary procedure, the firs usually being counselling. But it is not unusual to skip the first step if the incident is deemed to be significant.

I think that the 'note of action' is simply a record of a verbal warning.

That's what it sounds like, in which case it should have been investigated impartially, the OP should have had full access to the accusation and the OP also has the right to appeal it.

Advertisement